Gaming issue

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I am currently running Windows Vista Business x64, and installed a Windows 98SE VM. The reason why I did this was so that I could play older games without them taking up the entire screen and therefore not looking like complete crap, and I also figured they'd have compatibility problems anyway.

The games I have tried so far are Fallout Tactics and Starcraft. Both of which I have run on Windows 98 in the past, although not in a VM. What happens when I launch Starcraft? Nothing. The screen turns black and I have no sound from the game either. I tried using 16-bit color in the host OS, and that didn't fix anything.

The same thing happens with Fallout Tactics as well, except I hear the "ding" sound that means a popup window appeared. Problem is, I cannot see it.

I can't Alt-F4 out of either game or anything to get the desktop back, so I have to restart it.

Does anyone have any solutions? I did install VMware Tools, and Directx 8.0C

Oh forgot to mention, I'm using VMware Workstation 6.5.0

Turns out it's a problem with 98 I guess. I'm running it in an XP VM now. Works 100%

How's performance in doing this? Do you get any tearing of the screen with running starcraft?

Back