• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Gaming headsets for PC

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
441
So as the name of this thread indicates, what would you, the PC gamer, recommend to me as a good headset? I need a USB interface (my retarded X-Fi Extreme audio doesnt have A MIC INPUT!!!!!!!!! ......arg), and must be at a minimum a stereo headset (none of this mic and one earphone bullshit I see around).

Well what ya got? :D
 
Well first of all your X-Fi DOES have a mic input and second i suggest a ATH-AD700 or ATH-A700 or HD-555 or DT770pro with a zalman mic.
 
Specifically wanting to getting a GAMING HEADSET over a pair of good (ie the JVC's) headphones + mic combo is almost as bad as saying an X-Fi Extreme audio doesnt have a mic in.
 
Well first of all your X-Fi DOES have a mic input and second i suggest a ATH-AD700 or ATH-A700 or HD-555 or DT770pro with a zalman mic.

I disagree. I own the DT770 pro and I say get something MADE for gaming. Don't get a pair of headphones that are for audiophiles and expect to be able to pin point where people are. I recommend you get 5H v2's and call it a day. Trust me, better sound quality doesn't equal the precision in games. As ScYcS said, your x-fi's mic input is the blue line-input.
 
I disagree. I own the DT770 pro and I say get something MADE for gaming. Don't get a pair of headphones that are for audiophiles and expect to be able to pin point where people are. I recommend you get 5H v2's and call it a day. Trust me, better sound quality doesn't equal the precision in games. As ScYcS said, your x-fi's mic input is the blue line-input.

I use ATH-AD700 and they are great for pinpointing people. I too will recommended some good headphones with a Zalman mic.
 
I own both the ATH-AD700 and Steelseries Siberia and though I prefer to use the AD700 most of the time, when it comes to FPS I prefer the Siberia for anything else, AD700!
 
Being able to "pinpoint" where people are is a function of good mid-range and high frequency response. There's nothing inherently better about gaming headsets that make them any "better" for locational awareness.

The DT770 are HF-shy and overwhelming in low frequency response, so you basically chose some of the worst cans for competitive gaming. Few other cans fare as poorly.
 
I use a Sennheiser PC135 USB Headset. Mine have a USB dongle that the headset can be unplugged from so you can use them straight to a soundcard if you want.

I am very pleased with them. I get accused a lot for wall hacking in Counterstrike Source since I shoot people as soon as they come around a corner, but that is due to the soundstage of the headset, I can hear exactly where people are running around at.
 
Plantronics Gamecon 777 is what I use. I have gone through about 10 different kinds of gaming headsets and these ones are one of the best. Sturdy, great sound, great microphone and multiple ways of connecting to pc.
 
Well the responses are much appreciated! Ill be checking into a bunch of the rec's here. Audiophile level audio isnt a mush, but I need my audio at the very least distortion free.

@ the mic input: The blue input is a line in yes, however vista does not recognize it as a mic. Ive tried "many times, many ways" with a Logitech headset to get vista to see it as a mic. However all efforts have failed and numerous attempts to research the issue have been met with the general line of "Just get a USB headset and call it a day." I have been horribly unsuccessful trying to get it usable in BF2. If there is someone who has an XFI extreme audio and a traditional 3.5mm jack headset thats WORKING and recognised as a mic, lemme know how you got it to work with vista!
 
If you have the pci-express version of the card, then you will have to disable the "what-you-hear" in the recording devices, then the mic starts working.
 
Well first of all your X-Fi DOES have a mic input and second i suggest a ATH-AD700 or ATH-A700 or HD-555 or DT770pro with a zalman mic.

No need for further suggestions. The all inclusive headsets are for suckers and people who don't know any better.
 
I use the Turtle Beach X1's, they are for 360 and PC. You have 3 plugs though, USB, sound and mic.
 
I just bought a set of Logitech G35s and they are great. Had a pair of ClearChat Pros before.

I might buy a set of Sennheiser PC350s soon and try them out as well.
 
I have the RAZER Carcharias and Plantronics Gamecon 377. The Razer is a much better but if you can find the the 377 on sale for $35-40 you won't be disappointed. Neither are USB though.

I have a cheapo logitech premium 350 USB that's not very good and the eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 USB (got it for $30 on a whim) which is a PITA to set up right. So I would at least stay away from those two.
 
I use a set of HD 555's with a zalman clip on mic (like already suggested) and it works awsome. The zalman clip was the perfect size for the hd555 cord so I just clip it to that lol

Does your motherboard have a mic in line?

My preludes mic never worked right so I just always use my motherboards mic inpute and my preludes out put, works just fine.
 
The steelseries 5H V2 is probably the best headset I've ever owned. I've broken a lot of headsets, not intentionaly, pure accidents, and these headsets have already lasted what would have been probably 3 or 4 of the random ones I used to get (mainly Plantronics crap, but still.)
This is this one I ordered. Well worth the money: steelseries 5H V2 3.5mm Circumaural Professional Gaming Headset - Flexible (almost rubbery,) comes apart, the 3.5mm extender cable acts as an emergency break-away cable, and the mic is bendable and retractable.


But I got this in a box from Newegg: steelseries 61001SS 3.5mm/ USB Circumaural 5H v2 Professional Gaming Headset

Even though most people would have said nothing, I contacted Newegg to see if they knew about the error. They told me "Merry christmas," lol.
 
Last edited:
The steelseries 5H V2 is probably the best headset I've ever owned. I've broken a lot of headsets, not intentionaly, pure accidents, and these headsets have already lasted what would have been probably 3 or 4 of the random ones I used to get (mainly Plantronics crap, but still.)
This is this one I ordered. Well worth the money: steelseries 5H V2 3.5mm Circumaural Professional Gaming Headset - Flexible (almost rubbery,) comes apart, the 3.5mm extender cable acts as an emergency break-away cable, and the mic is bendable and retractable.


But I got this in a box from Newegg: steelseries 61001SS 3.5mm/ USB Circumaural 5H v2 Professional Gaming Headset

Even though most people would have said nothing, I contacted Newegg to see if they knew about the error. They told me "Merry christmas," lol.



I was going to suggest this same headset. Grats on the early Christmas gift :)
 
I suggest a ATH-AD700 or ATH-A700 or HD-555 or DT770pro with a zalman mic.

Is there a particular Zalman mic you guys use? I need to get one of these so I can use my ATH-A900's during multiplayer instead of having to switch to crappy Logitech headset.

This is the only zalman mic i'm seeing on amazon - is this the mic to get?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I have a set of Sony MDR-V150s that Ive had for awhile now that I absolutely love. Great bass respons but not overpowering. As asked in the post above this, if you have a model number for the zalman clip on mic, id love to check it out.

Also, I did try and look into my audio settings to find the "what-you-hear" feature to try and disable it. Unfortunatley Ive been unable to find it.

My onboard audio was actually a modular piece (DFI Lan Party NF4 S939) and as of right now its MIA. Ive actually been thinking about upgrading to the Fatality PCI-E card. The Xonar and Prelude look like great cards, but I actually dont do much HTPC with my rig, so the Fatality card would actually serve my needs better.
 
Is there a particular Zalman mic you guys use? I need to get one of these so I can use my ATH-A900's during multiplayer instead of having to switch to crappy Logitech headset.

This is the only zalman mic i'm seeing on amazon - is this the mic to get?

thats the one I use with my HD555's

just got to make sure you kep it near your head, I have mine clipped onto my 555's cord about 1 inch away from the base of the headphones (beside my jaw) and it works very well in vent and source games.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the Creative wireless gaming headset. I've got a couple of pairs of the Steelseries and a pair of Razor's (and some other prototypes from Chinese companies) and I like the comfort of the Creatives by far.

My job has some nice perks with regards to gear, as I don't pay for any of this.
 
I've been happiest with SteelSeries (and I've tried Logitech and Plantronics) Woot was selling their stuff for a couple of years- and I've tried the Siberia earbuds/mic, and their 3H and 4H headset models. I'm particularly fond of the 3H, since it folds to a nice compact size. Sound quality is a nice middle ground of mid-range and bass without being overwhelming. And their microphone quality is really top-notch.

I have a pair of Sony 7506s that I use for work, but I won't risk 'em in games. Steelseries has never left me wanting for more.
 
So tired of the "all Surround Sound headphones are gimmicks" line from the audiophiles.

In the case of the G35's, they are no different than stereo headphones and surround processing from your soundcard. It's just USB doing the exact same thing, but with better build quality than most of your headphones out there.
 
Some really great suggestions here so far. Im really interested in the steelseries line of headsets. As long as they last though; thats all that matters!
 
Being able to "pinpoint" where people are is a function of good mid-range and high frequency response. There's nothing inherently better about gaming headsets that make them any "better" for locational awareness.

The DT770 are HF-shy and overwhelming in low frequency response, so you basically chose some of the worst cans for competitive gaming. Few other cans fare as poorly.
also had the HD580's so yea...not just the DT770's
 
I have yet to hear a USB headset that I liked. I still use an older pair of Plantrionics Audio .90's (grey), much better than the USB headsets I've tried.
 
Also Steelseries just came out with the Siberia v2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249036

Just bought those a week ago to replace my aging and soon to break Razer Barracudas and I'm happy with them. Using them through a X-Fi with CMSS-3D and they sound pretty good in the games I play.

I almost went the JVC + zalman route but I owned the zalman mic with my zalman 5.1s a couple years ago and the mic never impressed me and I'm not a huge audiophile so in the end I decided a headset is best for me.
 
I've heard good things about the Turtle Beach HPx. They have 4 speakers in each ear and can be connected to many different devices in many different ways. You can connect 3 sound wires for 5.1, or 1 for stereo and have a sound card/decoder simulate the 5.1. They are $80 which isn't too bad. I'm tempted to try them out myself.

The headphones I currently have are:
Astro A40 - Expensive, overhyped, and unimpressive. It also sounds like they break down a lot. The Astro MixAmp is decent though for console users.
Creative Fatal1y - I got these for free with my XFI and considering they retail for like $60 I think they are pretty decent.
Turtle Beach X41's - The X41's are for X360 and they sounded good and have good positional sound, but they are going back because the wireless has background hiss and the mic is messed up.
 
Last edited:
I also have some sony mdr-7506s I bought for a turntable/mpc combo I had a year ago. since selling the mpc these have just sat in a bag while I use a shitty logitech headset. would the sonys be good for gaming (FPSes)?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I use the wireless Creative headset (HS-1200). The sound quality is below average. For gaming though it works well. When I ask about my mic in game, everyone always says it is good, never a complaint. I play games on my 52 inch while sitting back on the couch so the convenience of wireless makes up for the lost sound quality.

If you only play a few hours at a time, then it is good. If you tend to have all day gaming headsets though, the battery dies after 7 hours.

-----------------------------------

On the other hand, I have heard this is one of the best dedicated headsets you can buy under $200: Beyerdynamic MMX-2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580472-REG/Beyerdynamic_485896_MMX_2_Digital_Gaming.html
 
Back
Top