Gaming Headset

XNeKoSX

Weaksauce
I am looking for a gaming headset and need help finding whats really out there and what most have used and believe is good. They need to be 5.1+ capable.

I have look at:

Razer Barracuda HP-1
Medusa 5.1
Tritton UA512

Is this really all thats out there?
What are you guys using?

Don't get any of them.

Get some nice Headphones (e.g. Sennheiser 485; Sennheiser 555, Audio-Technica A500/A700) and a clip on microphone for $10. In total you might have spent $30 more than for the other headsets but you have gained 100% clarity and better positioning on top of that for games. So called "gaming headsets" are usually not worth the ink that's printed on the package. If you MUST buy a "gaming headset" then for heavens sakes get a Sennheiser PC160. It's most likely the best of the worst. Oh and stay away from the so called "5.1 Gaming headsets". They're the most overpriced piece of equipment you'll ever buy. A good stereo headphone with the positioning coming from the game and soundcard will be indefinately better than anything a 5.1 Gaming headset can provide.

What kind of budget are you working with? I'm also looking for a new pair of headphones but I'm not looking t spend more than $50USD.

I would also recommend that you forget the headset and get a quality pair of headphones and a separate mic of your choice. I've tried a number of the more popular headphones/headsets over the years and reviewed even more over at thetechlounge.com, and for the money, none of the headsets I've tried can come close to the audio quality of a good pair of stand-alone stereo headphones.

Forget the 5.1 headphone hype too. I've listened to some of the "better" ones and they really don't do anything that can't be done with traditional headphones. They just have a larger number of smaller, crappy drivers all crammed into a single headphone.

I'd go with the best Sennheisers you can afford, or consider the Grado SR-60s or SR-80s if you want to come in under the $100 mark.

Back