• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Gaming headphones?

Vyper

n00b
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
13
I currently am using a set of Logitech 450 USB headphones with Headphone/Mic combo. I like them, but they recently broke, and this is my second pair ive had. I have heard good things about Senheisser (sp?). Im pretty much a headphone/audio noob. I need something good for gaming, with a mic attached, and I prefer behind the head design, but thats not mandatory, quality first. I really dont want to spend more then $50 either.

-Vyper
 
Having to have a mic attached really limits your options. Sennheiser is the only company I know of that makes decent ones, and even those are nothing fantastic. Would you be ok with a separate set of headphones and a clip on mic, or does it absolutely have to be integrated?
 
great clip on mic is the zalman mic1. look it up on newegg, that's where i got mine. i just unclip it from my sennheiser hd595's when i don't need it and it works great.
 
I'd look at a set of Sennheiser PC150's with the clip on Zalman mic. Alot of people use that combo. I just ordered a new 5.1 set, if you're interested I'll let ya know how they work. Those were $80+ though. Stay away from the Icemat Siberias though, heard alot of complaints about how cheapo made they are and breaking real easy.

OCZ
 
You "need something good for gaming" ... go with the Sennheiser sets. With your 50$ cap you're not going to get (in a total spectrum sense) a "quality" pair of cans.

I too found this out myself recently... Did alot of searching and I'm going to go with a Beyer DT990pro set with a mic mod... looking forward to it.

If you wanna see some people really freakout about headphones (and btw you're looking for a headset) go over the head-fi.com. Those fools got me into an audio shop today sampling some Grado SR125's
 
Battle_Rattle said:
You "need something good for gaming" ... go with the Sennheiser sets. With your 50$ cap you're not going to get (in a total spectrum sense) a "quality" pair of cans.

I too found this out myself recently... Did alot of searching and I'm going to go with a Beyer DT990pro set with a mic mod... looking forward to it.

If you wanna see some people really freakout about headphones (and btw you're looking for a headset) go over the head-fi.com. Those fools got me into an audio shop today sampling some Grado SR125's


Haha.... we fools did you a favor! A word to the wise though, the SR-125 is by far my least favorite Grado. I don't like them. They are very awkward, and defiantly not a can i'd recommend. If you were in the market, i'd say spend a few more bucks on the 225, or try to find one used. Otherwise, just the the SR-80. I don't know what it is, but there is something different about the 125 from all the other SR-Series cans.
 
I guess my next question is, if I break the $50 barrier, what is available with an integrated mic for online gaming? I really dont like the idea of a clip mic, nor two cables.

-Vyper
 
Vyper said:
I guess my next question is, if I break the $50 barrier, what is available with an integrated mic for online gaming? I really dont like the idea of a clip mic, nor two cables.

-Vyper


Not much... few more Senn headsets but thats it. The zalman clip mic is great, and opens you up to a world of MUCH better headphones. The inconvenience of the mic is far superseded by the superior sound quality you could get with better headphones.
 
Vyper said:
I guess my next question is, if I break the $50 barrier, what is available with an integrated mic for online gaming? I really dont like the idea of a clip mic, nor two cables.

-Vyper


Well, if ya can wait to order something till after this coming weekend, I could give ya a reveiw on the 5.1ch surround headset I just ordered. Will have'm here on thursday. If ya want, I'll let ya know how good they actually are for the $79 price tag. And if you're worried about whether or not I know anything about sound quality, I've been dealing with home/car audio almost all my life, and worked part-time as a DJ/MC for about 4 yrs. I can give you a straight for yes or no reveiw if ya want one. Do you have a 5.1ch soundcard though?? LMK, I'd be happy ot fill ya in on how the ones I ordered work. And as far as the mic goes, these have a detachable mic that is supposed to have very good clarity.

OCZ
 
OCZSpeedJunky said:
Well, if ya can wait to order something till after this coming weekend, I could give ya a reveiw on the 5.1ch surround headset I just ordered. Will have'm here on thursday. If ya want, I'll let ya know how good they actually are for the $79 price tag. And if you're worried about whether or not I know anything about sound quality, I've been dealing with home/car audio almost all my life, and worked part-time as a DJ/MC for about 4 yrs. I can give you a straight for yes or no reveiw if ya want one. Do you have a 5.1ch soundcard though?? LMK, I'd be happy ot fill ya in on how the ones I ordered work. And as far as the mic goes, these have a detachable mic that is supposed to have very good clarity.

OCZ


:(. It always amazes me when people get 5.1 cans. Even mores so if you have the audio knowledge you claim. I don't know who in the world decided a product with six shitty drivers would be better than two good ones. Normal headphones can imitate surround sound fairly well... and even better if you have an X-Fi and turn on CMS3D. 5.1 headphones just suck, there isn't a single good pair of them. All of them have cheap crappy drivers, its the only way they get six drivers in there and still keep them priced low enough for your average consumer. Even if they do provide better 5.1 than good cans + CSM3D, I would take the exponentially better sound quality in exchange for slightly worse positioning.

Sorry to stomp on your toes... but I always get a little riled up when I see people spend way to much money on crappy cans. And, I think I hate it even more when they enjoy them, which some people do. I suppose it's true that ignorance is bliss :D
 
Viper87227 said:
:(. It always amazes me when people get 5.1 cans. Even mores so if you have the audio knowledge you claim. I don't know who in the world decided a product with six shitty drivers would be better than two good ones. Normal headphones can imitate surround sound fairly well... and even better if you have an X-Fi and turn on CMS3D. 5.1 headphones just suck, there isn't a single good pair of them. All of them have cheap crappy drivers, its the only way they get six drivers in there and still keep them priced low enough for your average consumer. Even if they do provide better 5.1 than good cans + CSM3D, I would take the exponentially better sound quality in exchange for slightly worse positioning.

Sorry to stomp on your toes... but I always get a little riled up when I see people spend way to much money on crappy cans. And, I think I hate it even more when they enjoy them, which some people do. I suppose it's true that ignorance is bliss :D

LOL, doesn't hurt my toes at all, rant all ya want. I got a decent pair I usually use, I just figured hell, I'd give'm a shot and see how they are. And actually, I am running the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum still, but still with CMSS. And the set I ordered actually has 8 speakers in'm. If I really had the cash, hell yes, I'd drop $300 on a pair of Sennheisers before I'd even think about getting any other set, but, don't feel like dropping that much on a set of cans I'd love to have. Plus, as I said, if I had the room here, I'd just setup my Z5500's and be done with it, but, just not enough room. I still have my 2.1 Monsoons also, which sound great, but, I decided on the 5.1 cans and see how they are. Plus, another reason for wanting to get another set, is the roommate plays fricken WoW like it's religous or something, and has to have it loud enough for the neighbors to hear for some damn reason, so, when I am playing FEAR or BF2 or something of the like, his loud azz WoW gets really fricken annoying. One of these days I'm just gonna reach under his desk and short his damn Z5300e's fricken amp on'm so I won't have to listen to the crap lol. At any rate, I'll see how they work. And hell, rant and rave all ya want, doesn't bother me none, not like it was a personal attack lol. Anywho, go stomp on another set of toes, mine are off to go waste more time. Later.

OCZ
 
OCZSpeedJunky said:
LOL, doesn't hurt my toes at all, rant all ya want. I got a decent pair I usually use, I just figured hell, I'd give'm a shot and see how they are. And actually, I am running the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum still, but still with CMSS. And the set I ordered actually has 8 speakers in'm. If I really had the cash, hell yes, I'd drop $300 on a pair of Sennheisers before I'd even think about getting any other set, but, don't feel like dropping that much on a set of cans I'd love to have. Plus, as I said, if I had the room here, I'd just setup my Z5500's and be done with it, but, just not enough room. I still have my 2.1 Monsoons also, which sound great, but, I decided on the 5.1 cans and see how they are. Plus, another reason for wanting to get another set, is the roommate plays fricken WoW like it's religous or something, and has to have it loud enough for the neighbors to hear for some damn reason, so, when I am playing FEAR or BF2 or something of the like, his loud azz WoW gets really fricken annoying. One of these days I'm just gonna reach under his desk and short his damn Z5300e's fricken amp on'm so I won't have to listen to the crap lol. At any rate, I'll see how they work. And hell, rant and rave all ya want, doesn't bother me none, not like it was a personal attack lol. Anywho, go stomp on another set of toes, mine are off to go waste more time. Later.

OCZ


Psssht... don't need no $300 Senn's (since there technically aren't any, goes from $200 for 595 to $350 for 600 :)). HD595's for $200 would do ya nice, as would HD580's w/ HD600 Grills and HD650 cables, which would run around $230-$250 depending on where you get everything. However, even those aren't necessary. My A700's game nicely. I do wish I had spend the $50 more for the A900, but that's small potatoes, as these work nice for no, and will no doubt be replased by something uber expensive soon enough anyways.
 
Probably can get a 595 in the $150 or less range nowadays i'd think if you look. Paid 160 on E-bay and that was almost a year ago so should be something out there. Anyhow, better to spend a little more cash on phones now that will last you a good, long time, then keep on plunking down cash every 5-6 months on headphones that break down after awhile.
But just my opinion tho...
Clip on mike is good with a nice headphone tho. Believe me, once you get really good sounding phones that are good quality, the inconvenience of the clip-on mike won't be that noticable..lol
 
lol I paid 125 for my 595s. They are great for the $$. Beyer 770/80 the older models OWN for gaming without a sub. I like the 595s with 2 subs though. Pretty damn intense.
 
@ OCZ: Thats cool, I would appreciate the info. Right now, im rockin the onboard audio of the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium w/Heatpipe. It works. My roomate gave me an Audigy card, but im not sure of the model, I can install it if I need to. LMK what happens, otherwise I am probably going to get those PC 150 Senns.

-Vyper
 
Back
Top