• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming Display Needed .. stepping down

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
Previously I'd use my 30" Dell or HP @ Home to play games at full resolution, and my 27" Apple when I went to friends...

I`m tired of lugging around the 27" (sold it/traded), and now have my 30" at home, and took my 2001FP Dell to play at friends..

2001FP SUCKS, this thing is OLD, faded, and SLOW... not a good gaming monitor.
Although it is tiny and easy to move :D

I`m looking for a 23" or 24" 1080 monitor for gaming.
I want something FAST, and accurate.

Budget probably <$400 from what I've seen I should be able to get a kick ass 23 for that price.

I don't NEED to spend that much, so if a 200$ works let me know :D

I have a 6870 with 1GB ram.
Probably upgrade that to 7950, not 100% yet.. either way it will PLAY better than my 30 or 27 for now :eek:

Do the AMD vs NVIDA work better for Photoshop ? That's about the only desktop software I use that might benefit from video card.... (and some minor video editing with built-in/basic Windows SOftware), already have maxed out RAM.
 
The resolution can be higher, as long as it's 23 or 24".

In fact I'd prefer 16:10 but I`m thinking those displays in 23 or 24 are harder to find now days, and more costly?

Anyone ?

Throw down your fav. 23 and 24s :D
 
@Weenis: $300 for a TN? Damn, a Dell U2412M (1920x1200 IPS) is cheaper!

Pick up a 22" CRT for free somewhere. Play 1600x1200 @ 100 Hz in games; own everyone :D
You can throw it in the back of a car with a cloth over the glass.

x1200 displays are more expensive compared to all the "1080P" crap, but you gain 120 very usefull pixels vertically. 1080 really isn't that much more compared to the 'normal' of six years ago: 1024
 
It's 120hz, it's within the price range. It's small and light which makes it portable.

If you are using it for gaming the 120 pixels will make no difference..

jcvjcvjcvjcv did you read the OP at all? he wants something light not 100lbs to lug around.
 
@Weenis: $300 for a TN? Damn, a Dell U2412M (1920x1200 IPS) is cheaper!

Pick up a 22" CRT for free somewhere. Play 1600x1200 @ 100 Hz in games; own everyone :D
You can throw it in the back of a car with a cloth over the glass.

x1200 displays are more expensive compared to all the "1080P" crap, but you gain 120 very usefull pixels vertically. 1080 really isn't that much more compared to the 'normal' of six years ago: 1024

Thanks, and I've been away from 1024 since I got my first 18" LCD around 2000? 2001?

So this is def. a big step down, but only for gaming, and a secondary monitor...

I`m thinking the Dell 24 or Samsung I linked to above ?

Since main usage is games... I`m thinking faster is better ? Or when you are under 10ms does it matter ?

Oh, and I ditched my old 21 or 22 Sony CRTs I had. Totally awesome color, and clarity but ... wow.. a BEAST! I still have a couple Sony 17s someplace :eek:
 
It's 120hz, it's within the price range. It's small and light which makes it portable.

If you are using it for gaming the 120 pixels will make no difference..

jcvjcvjcvjcv did you read the OP at all? he wants something light not 100lbs to lug around.

Would I be able to push that with a single 7950 3GB ?
 
Not well enough to make it worth while...why not properly upgrade and get a 7970 or 670 for 50$ more? The S24A450 is an office monitor. Get an Asus VS239H-P, it is super light, IPS and meant for gaming.
 
It's 120hz, it's within the price range. It's small and light which makes it portable.

If you are using it for gaming the 120 pixels will make no difference..

jcvjcvjcvjcv did you read the OP at all? he wants something light not 100lbs to lug around.

You don't have to put it in a box to transport, so that makes it rather easy. When I took a CRT to LAN parties I just put it in a seatbelt on a backseat, now with LCD's I have to put them in a box; much more effort.

Unfortunately software has gone back in functionality: for a lot of games you need some 3rd party software to get anything over 60 Hz
 
7950 3gb $285

Where can I get a 7970 for $330ish ???



Although....
I`m not sure i"d be happy with .31 DPI :eek:
 
Last edited:
You should look into getting a Sony FW900! At only 92lbs it is the perfect display for ANY mobility needs!!!
 
Back
Top