• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming difference of E6600 vs. E8400?

new@this

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
88
I bought a new gaming comp a year ago, my specs are

evga 680i mobo
c2d e6600 @ 2.8 on stock cooling
evga 8800gtx no OC
2gb patriot extreme ddr2 800
cm stacker 830 case
700W m12 seasonic power
viewsonic g220fb 22"crt monitor

My question is will upgrading to a Wolfdale E8400 with an Arctic Freezer 7 give me a much better real world gaming experience? I also plan on adding a second evga 8800GTX to run SLI. I am worried the e6600 will bottleneck the two gtx's so I am willing to upgrade to the e8400. I am just wondering if this is maybe overkill and I should just stick to OCing the E6600 to 3.0-3.4GHz with the Arctic Freezer running and 4 added 120mm Scythe S-FLEX case fans. I know the e8400 can reach 4.0Ghz+ on this cooling but I don't know if I should just stick to the E6600 until next year forces a mobo/proc change?
 
Personally I'd keep the E6600.
Unless you like to tinker with new hardware and you've got some extra cash to spend. Otherwise it's not worth it. It's cool that the original C2D's (even the "low-end" ones) will last beautifully until Intel's new architecture comes out.
 
If you go SLI and cant overclock the E6600 past 3.2-3.5 it will be a bottleneck.

I think you will be waiting another year or so til nehalem so i say go for the 8400 if you cant get your 6600 high enough.

Its 15-20% faster in most apps and then ALOT faster in video decoder/encoder software.
 
As stated, 3.2 seems to be the sweet spot for any game currently out. You should be able to get that processor to 3.2+ without much effort at all. I'd be willing to bet leaving voltage on auto and typing in 1600 for processor speed with ram synced you'd boot right up. Hell if my 6420 on this old internet rig can hit 3.6 stable you'd be running nice and cool at 3.2 with your proc.
 
Back
Top