Gaming controlers - SpeedPads

Is anyone using a speedpad or something similar for their online gaming, like WoW? I've heard they take a while to get comfortable with, but are so much better than a keyboard once you get used to them.

If you have used these, what has your experience been with them? Is there a particular product you would recommend?

Example: Belkin SpeedPad

I had a buddy that had one and didn't use it so I was like "Let me borrow it!"

I plugged it in, tweaked it all out, set it up, configed it, smiled at it, pet it, tried it and literally after 5 mins said... wait a minute, I have a keyboard that does ALL of this stuff already!

If you're a WASD fan and have been using that like most of us here, there's far more options with a keyboard than this thing offers.

Look at it like this: (completely making this up)

"There's a new product on the market for a keyboard replacement. Instead of 104 key keyboard it's 52 keys, and you press this pedal down with your foot to 'shift' into the other 52 keys. Now the keyboard is smaller and doesn't get in the way on your desk"

Sure it would work but is it really better? No, why not just have all 104 keys and have them all there for you, it's not THAT much of a space eater.

My example may be crap but then again so is the Nostromo, try it out, it's probably all preference, but there's nothing "special" about it.

actually a lot of people like them

I had the original n50 and liked it

but went back to the keyboard

tried hooking it back up and there are just not enough keys

for more basic games it will be fine

but onces you a ton of keys to map forget about it

See, exactly what I said :) Althought just more "to the point" than my rambling.

I have an n50, but used it SOLELY for when I was on my Laptop. Worked great for CS at LAN parties and stuff. Never used it on my Desktop. Then I started playing Battlefield 42 on my Laptop, couldn't stand the lack of keys for radio commands. So I went back to the Lappy keyboard.

I'm glad BF2 did a two key solution for all the radio commands.

i dunno bout yall but i got the n50 when it was kinda new. and i loved it. amazing peice opf hardware. really useful because my desk has a sliding keyboard tray located under it, so i would have my hand on the mouse and my other hand on the keyboard down lower, kinda uncomfortable.. now i can use this on my desk with my joystick and mouse all level.

since tyhe n52 came out i picked up one of those as well, and its even better than the n50.
now my n50 just gets lugged around with my shuttle. for space considerations the shuttle with an n52, and a mouse, and virtual keyboard. u can do many things in a small space ;)

I like the N50 more then the 52.

I find it pretty nice to use because it put a lot of buttons closer together and hte shift gave you even more. But programming it was pretty retarded. I think the new software has changed, I really haven't had much time to play with it.

Ive been using the N50 and now the N52 for the past 3 years. I have only played MOHAA and BF series with it and I have no plans for switching back to the keyboard. You cant beat the function on the thumb button. It is great to control 6-10 buttons with your thumb.

I just got an n50 at compUSA when the had their midnight madness sale (I went for the $109 computer and checked out clearance and thiss was there). I set it up for most of my games and I love it, it's comforatble, easy to use, and I really like the thumb d-pad. I'm glad I bought it!

I'm going to be using it for World of Warcraft and my one concern is one that's been voiced: The number of keys is has is considerably less than the number of hotkeys I currenly use.

I'm curious to know if anyone is using it for WoW.

HOLY CRAP it's the foot pedal thing I said I "Made up".

Lets see... Let's say I'm a millionaire (which I'm not) and I paid off all my debt and could retire, play golf every day, video games, and live a fine life...

<-----not holding breath

Anyways $150? That's stupid retarded...

I have the N52 and i think it is great. Mainly because i have large hands and its alot more comfortable than the keyboard. I especially like the macros, we binded all the Street Fighter 2 moves to it and played with one hand. Also im alot better with my hands closer together when playing FPS's. Unlike the keyboard where you are forced to a certain distance. Also my desk is set up where i can leave my keyboard so i can still type. I like it, but you need to try it b4 you make your decision, that is the deciding factor. and i am using it for WoW but i have my keyboard right in front of it. I have included a few screenshots of my setup

J

I've got the n52 and I love it. The ability to program entire macros into it is great for MMORPGs. You can program in whole phrases, so that with one button press your character will say stuff like "Watch out! Enemies approaching!" or whatever else you want. It really helps in the middle of combat.

For FPS games like Battlefield 2, I program one layout of keys for infantry, one for ground vehicles, and one for air vehicles. I can switch between them with a single button press, allowing me to have a customized helicopter key layout and then instantly switch back to infantry when needed.

I've also heard that some Photoshop professionals use them, since they can program in all the shortcuts and keyboard commands in as macros, speeding up their work.

Basically, the Nostromo is like college, you get from it as much as you put into it. Plugging it in and that's it gets you little benefit, whereas spending a few hours programming it for your games will get you consistently better gameplay.

BuddyTheElf said:
I'm going to be using it for World of Warcraft and my one concern is one that's been voiced: The number of keys is has is considerably less than the number of hotkeys I currenly use.

I'm curious to know if anyone is using it for WoW.

I use mine for WoW, though I haven't set it up as much as I should have.

Basically using it because A) it's more comfortable and B) I can set my 4 most used attacks on it and use the thumbpad for that.

lol this is even better than the foot pedal thing

Frogpad

and i have an n50 that is in a box somewhere since i only used it for like 10 mins

Back