• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming Computer Build. parts list

mark72

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
4
I am getting ready to build a gaming only rig.
I dont think I need sli. I am not a parts expert, but from all the
reading lately, I chose these parts. With the Huge selection of parts available,
It's hard to determine whats "just right".
Will these parts work well together?
games from 2003 up need to run.
speed and graphics for gaming is all i want.
Around $2000 limit including monitor. Thanks

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Mail-in Rebate $79.99 -$10.00 Instant $69.99

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$169.99 -$10.00 Instant $159.99

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video eCard - Retail
Mail-in Rebate $389.99 $389.99

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail
Mail-in Rebate $149.99 -$10.00 Instant $139.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
$222.90 $222.90

Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/1G - Retail
$101.99 $101.99

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/2G - Retail
$203.49 $203.49

Wstern Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
$199.99 $199.99

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail
$71.99 $71.99

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
$349.99 -$20.00 Instant $329.99

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
$39.99 $39.99

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail
$44.99 $44.99

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
$139.99 $139.99

Subtotal: $2,115.28 (newegg)
 
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail, $139.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail, $222.90

Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/1G - Retail, $101.99

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/2G - Retail, $203.49

Don't get the GXS 700W. It has ripple. There are better choices out there:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

You don't really need 3GB, its not really worth it. Stick with 2GB and XP 32-bit, or jump to 4GB and a 64-bit OS. With an E6600, all you really need is DDR2-800, unless you want to lower the stock CPU multiplier (9x) to that of an E6300 (7x). Here's some math for you:

E6600: 9 * 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << STOCK speeds
E6600: 9 * 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667 << simple OC
E6600: 9 * 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << near max OC on good air cooling

Running the ram at a higher ratio than 1:1 (with the CPU) yields no performance improvements on Intel platforms, so its best to keep your RAM linked to your CPU speed. FYI, CPU clock speed = CPU multiplier * base FSB speed, RAM speed is double the base FSB speed, and the effective FSB speed is quadruple the base FSB speed.
 
Don't mean to hijack anything but real quick, does that mean that I can't buy
DDR2-800 and run it at 3.0Ghz?

Would I HAVE to get DDR-667 to do a mild overclock?

Thanks
Ryan
 
does that mean that I can't buy
DDR2-800 and run it at 3.0Ghz?

Would I HAVE to get DDR-667 to do a mild overclock?

3Ghz? you mean run DDR2-800 at DDR2-667 speeds? Sure you can. No, you don't HAVE to get DDR2-667 to do a mild OC. Most RAM can run at slower speeds than its rated for, but don't pay too much for something you'll never use. That "too much" is all up to the buyer, so its your choice. I'm merely pointing out what some people overlook.
 
ok.. gotcha... thanks...

I just was wondering if i HAD to use it at the higher clock speed. I know now I don't. I was looking at the DDR-800 anyway. Not sure I need it right now but might be worth getting it anyway for the little bit more money if I plan to OC even just slightly


Ryan
 
ok.. gotcha... thanks...

I just was wondering if i HAD to use it at the higher clock speed. I know now I don't. I was looking at the DDR-800 anyway. Not sure I need it right now but might be worth getting it anyway for the little bit more money if I plan to OC even just slightly


Ryan

DDR2-800 is indeed the sweet spot OC-wise right now. This may change when the new faster stock FSB cores come out, who knows.
 
Thanks for the information. I have readjusted the ram, ddr2-800 and PSU to Antec Tp3-650
enginurd, thanks for explaining the ram/cpu compatibility, I did not know that.
This will be my first overclock attempt.
Could this processor choice OC to 3.6 safely?
Thanks.
 
Most of the newer E6600's are reaching around 3.3Ghz... its gettin harder to hit 3.6 with the newer E6600's. It may be easier with an E6420 instead.

If you want to reach past 3Ghz, you'll need a better cooler than the stock CPU HSF. Look into the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B (scnj-1100P), Tuniq Tower, or Thermalright Ultra 120 (extreme).

Which ram did you go with?
 
Here is the Ram choice:
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN - Retail
Model #: KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN $133.49
(Kingston is on this boards recommended memory list)

Or is there a better choice of CPU/RAM that would be faster with slight OC'ing
for $400 max or less range?
(Gaming only system)
Thanks again.
 
I would recommend waiting till July 22nd, and get a e6850 for 266 bucks~ supposedly. At least then, you start off with 3.0 Ghz, making it easier to get your clock of 3.6Ghz. Or the e6750 (2.66Hz) for around ~200 bucks, which OC's pretty damn well from what i hear.

Drop that psu, get either a seasonic or corsair.

Dont forget an aftermarket heatsink to complement the OC potential. Get either a ThermalTake 120-extreme, Tuniq Tower 120 or zalman 9700
 
I wouldnt use the Kingston ram, although theres a couple others a few bucks more expensive only that might be the D9 chips.

I'd rather go with OCZ/Gskill/Corsair.
 
Back
Top