Gaming computer build help

Durntdude

Weaksauce
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming and hosting game servers while gaming. Occasional video encoding

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1100 is preferable but if the upgrade is worth it, then up to $1300

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, FL, Orlando-ish

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Motherboard, CPU(Ivy or Sandy bridge), RAM(12GB+), Hard Drive(640GB+), PSU, Video Card that supports dual video out (hdmi x2 or hdmi+dvi or dvi x2).

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I am re-using keyboard, headset, mouse, monitor

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not likely.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1200 27"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Spare PCI-E slot for future improvements, USB 3, Onboard video would be nice as a backup but not required

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win 7 Pro

I hope I didn't miss any parts.

Team Fortress 2 (playing and hosting)---TF2 lags in combat with mid settings and 1080p resolution. It caps my processor and put my RAM at 90%
Diablo 3
Minecraft (playing and hosting)---Minecraft server pulls over 3 GB RAM alone and is currently hosted on a different computer.
Battlefield 3---BF3 is unplayable (15-20 fps on low settings including resolution and drops to 5 or so in combat)
Crysis 2 and 3 when it comes out.
Borderlands 2 when it comes out
New Mechwarrior when it comes out as I know my system doesn't handle it that well
and I want to be pretty future-proofed.

Last edited:
Is hyperthreading worth it for server hosting+gaming at same time/occasional encoding or no?

Back