Gaming at 1080p and AMD cards over inflated GTX 770 my only hope?

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Ok I currently own a GTX 660 TI superclocked 2GB and I want to buy a new card but with the AMD cards over inflated to the extreme Im stuck with 1 possible purchase that I can afford but only after selling my 660 TI.

I cant afford a $400 card right now. In then next 2 weeks I want to get a new card. I will have to sell off my 660 TI then put in a little bit.

Should I make a jump to the GTX 770 they are currently going for around 330. My only concern is the 2GB of Vram. I know mining is a big thing but IMO it hurts people who is budget orientated

Buy used. E.g., a guy on rage3d.com/board is selling his MSI GTX 780 for 300 bucks or check around the [H] forums.
If you absolutely have to buy new then a GTX 770 is your best bet. There were atleast a couple of deals in past few weeks with the 4 GB cards going for 330. Check the [H]ot deals section.

GTX 770 is the budget card for this generation for those that like to turn the graphics up a bit. The 2GB of ram really only comes into play at resolutions over 1080p. Nvidia seems to deal with 2GB of ram limit just fine for games that can utilize more than that. Just wondering, but why are you replacing your 660Ti? I'd hang onto that and wait for either a price drop to normalcy from AMD retailers or new Nvidia cards to come out. A real upgrade would be a GTX 780 / R9 290. I'd save and wait a little longer.

GTX 770 is the budget card for this generation for those that like to turn the graphics up a bit. The 2GB of ram really only comes into play at resolutions over 1080p. Nvidia seems to deal with 2GB of ram limit just fine for games that can utilize more than that. Just wondering, but why are you replacing your 660Ti? I'd hang onto that and wait for either a price drop to normalcy from AMD retailers or new Nvidia cards to come out. A real upgrade would be a GTX 780 / R9 290. I'd save and wait a little longer.
I wouldn't be so optimistic. I moved from a GTX 680 SLi to a GTX 780 SLi setup. Yes my frames shot up but the difference in game smoothness (driven by amount of VRAM limit) was night and day. With games like BF4 already going above 2 GB in a 1080P scenario, I can only imagine what it would have been like to play the game on a GTX 680 with settings turned up. It would hitch like a mofo.

I strongly recommend in buying used and getting either a 770 4 gig or a 780. Buying a new card at full price is not the best deal out today.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. I moved from a GTX 680 SLi to a GTX 780 SLi setup. Yes my frames shot up but the difference in game smoothness (driven by amount of VRAM limit) was night and day. With games like BF4 already going above 2 GB in a 1080P scenario, I can only imagine what it would have been like to play the game on a GTX 680 with settings turned up. It would hitch like a mofo.

I strongly recommend in buying used and getting either a 770 4 gig or a 780. Buying a new card at full price is not the best deal out today.

buying cards with more vram is a moronic waste of money, unless you value ~1 extra fps when using a multi monitor setup at $50.

your frames shot up because the 780 is a more powerful gpu, plain and simple. it had nothing to do with the 1 GB increase in VRAM. don't be silly.

Last edited:
I still run a pair of radeon 5800 cards that i think in total i spent about 300 bucks on in 2 installments and since i have only one 1080p monitor, even modern games run pretty good. it is time to upgrade i think but video memory is basically for higher resolutions and stuff like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. i was thinking of a 290 but all these damned scrypt miners pushing the price so high is insane. i might grab an nvidia this go around

Get an 760 SLi, with that you can run wathever you throw at it at high speed and frames

Last edited:
Just check the forums here. I'm getting a 7970 back from RMA in the next week and plan on selling it for 360.

for those who ask I am running a Micro ATX board that does not support SLI or Crossfire so that is out of the question.

I decided not to buy a 7970 so thanks static for the offer. I am putting together funds right now a 290x and a new PSU

Ok I currently own a GTX 660 TI superclocked 2GB and I want to buy a new card but with the AMD cards over inflated to the extreme Im stuck with 1 possible purchase that I can afford but only after selling my 660 TI.

I cant afford a $400 card right now. In then next 2 weeks I want to get a new card. I will have to sell off my 660 TI then put in a little bit.

Should I make a jump to the GTX 770 they are currently going for around 330. My only concern is the 2GB of Vram. I know mining is a big thing but IMO it hurts people who is budget orientated

Why don't you upgrade when you actually see issues with performance? That way - you save even more money and when you're ready to, drop some fat cash on an awesome card. No settling! :D

I sold my 660ti and bought a 780,the card has massive oc headroom and I've been able to double my framerate at 1440p. If you can get a used one do it, 32gig of vram is appreciated too been topping 2,2g usage at 1440p with some AA

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/27.html
They're relatively similar. That said, you can see on the same graphs that the 660Ti is only 20-25% behind, which I would say is a minimally noticeable difference in most games. I'd hold out for 20nm if you can.

Going by that chart a 780 3gb is only 15% faster than a $300 gtx 770 2gb.

We need to have a smoothness rating. Doesnt matter to me, i play everything with adaptive vsync on.

Going by that chart a 780 3gb is only 15% faster than a $300 gtx 770 2gb.

We need to have a smoothness rating. Doesnt matter to me, i play everything with adaptive vsync on.
Because it only is 15% faster than a GTX 770. Value decreases precipitously in the enthusiast video card segment.

Well, most 780's have tons of OC headroom, and will really pull away once they hit around 1150-1200mhz.

Im in the same boat but I am building a new system. Cant decide between 770 4gb and 780 3gb. Not sure if the price difference is worth jumping to 780...yikes..

Picked up a 780OC for 1440p, i LOVE IT! best decision ever!!!!!!!!!! it OC ever more than it is! and i'am not even pushing it that much!

buying cards with more vram is a moronic waste of money, unless you value ~1 extra fps when using a multi monitor setup at $50.

your frames shot up because the 780 is a more powerful gpu, plain and simple. it had nothing to do with the 1 GB increase in VRAM. don't be silly.
That's the stupidest shit I have read all day. It is a smoothness difference that is not really reported in framerates (even if you have a time chart/graph showing troughs and peaks). Have you used a 680 SLi and moved to a 780 SLi? I guess not, so stfu!

Back