Gamin laptop with...

Phrik

Gawd
I'm looking for a gaming laptop but it has to a have a few things I want:

imo, decent enough as a desktop gaming replacement
...Geforce 770M or higher

since I don't game at all times, and I have 3 monitor setup as a developer, and I will have the latop's lid/screen closed.
...2 DP/mDP
...1 HDMI/DVI
...or a setup that allows 3 monitors up (with laptop screen/lid closed or unused)

optical drive not needed, but shouldn't be choosing factor if it has, it's just necessary

So far I have only seen MSI GS70 with 2 mDP and 1 HDMI (not 100% sure it can use the 3 monitors), but only has a 765M.

Suggestions ? I'm in europe by the way, and the netherlands to be exact.

this three monitor thing might be a problem.. I think you might need to use some kind of hub/adapter from the USB or something.

What resolutions do you use? because one DP might be enough for two screens..

Well the primary monitor is a 1920x1200, the other 2 are 1920x1080. I don't setup for eyefinity or nvsurround (or whatever it's called now a days) for gaming. Just the prime screen is used for gaming.

Well the 3 screen setup can be done surely. I do it at work, 2 dp monitors and laptop at the moment, but I also tested for 2 dp and 1 dvi. This is on a dell laptop and the docking station.

Daisy chaining dp won't be a choice for me because I only have 1 dp monitor, but I do have mDP to hdmi active adapters at home.

I've tested those usb 3 port replis with 2 dvi, and I was able to get 4 screens up, laptop, hdmi from laptop, and 2 via dvi from port repli, but I can't even get a 720p movie to play properly via the usb3porty

If you plan to always keep the lid closed when in use, why not go with a small form factor PC instead? It will have a much smaller footprint than a standard desktop and will be much cheaper than a notebook with comparable specs.

I would love to but right now I've got 2 aging systems hanging about in the house, none of me friends want.

So that's why I'm thinking of going laptop at least if it comes time to upgrade again I can just give it away more easily. Because most of me relatives will prefer a laptop over a desktop as a giveaway

I know I'm complicating things...

It will also reduce the amount of clatter on my desk

Back