GameStop to Close 150 Stores

My local GameStop closed a few months ago, and is now replaced by a "Paris Baguette" bakery/cafe. Employees always seemed pretty friendly, and when I picked up my Fallout 4 preorder from there during the F4 release, the guy manning the desk seemed pretty happy (apparently he was a Fallout fan).

Id love to have a video game store that sells baguettes and coffee...

Well never been to a gamestop nor do I care to. I like my emulation and classic arcade shit. One can't find it there. DRM free. That's the way I like it.

I call bullshit on some of that article. And I will use the latest mass effect game for my example. If I have a choice I prefer disk. But if you go in and buy the game on pc from a store right on the front it says "no disk inside, download code only" . So why would I go to Gamestop to buy a plastic case that has a download code when I will still have to log onto a digital store system and download the game? I miss well save the trip and pay the digital store I am downloadin the game from.

I can't speak for consoles, but on pc the industry is killing the stores, not the consumer base.

For Xbox One if I buy it off the Microsoft store I never need a disk. It's totally worth it to me. I hate looking for disks.

I laugh at the idea of Game stop... When Target or Walmart has more of a selection for cheaper.

Just heard about this about 5 minutes ago. I suppose they wanted to see how good the Nintendo Switch did before they closed shop.
I hope ours doesn't close up I haven't picked up a game there since Bloodborne. I would say the customer service was good or bad cause its like that everywhere.

b309a44beb144158462661995f0d1be7.jpg

Death to Gamestop!

Bring back Software Ect!

Don't worry, eventually we will all work in the same place.

Amazon-Fulfillment-Center.jpg

This chain was way over expanded and so are many other stores.
I think more closures for this chain is likely in the next year.

This chain was way over expanded and so are many other stores.
I think more closures for this chain is likely in the next year.

Yeah I live in a pretty typical suburban area and I have 9 stores within 10 miles of me. It's easy to see why that isn't sustainable for a fairly niche retail store that has more competition than ever. It sucks for the employees who are going to be let go, but maybe their stock of used games will be more consolidated now instead of spread around a bunch of different stores.

My local GameStop closed a few months ago, and is now replaced by a "Paris Baguette" bakery/cafe. Employees always seemed pretty friendly, and when I picked up my Fallout 4 preorder from there during the F4 release, the guy manning the desk seemed pretty happy (apparently he was a Fallout fan).

Did they throw in a free Baguette when you picked up Fallout 4?

Game Stop kind of killed themselves. They emphasized their used sales so much, it didn't make any sense to buy anything new. Add that to their practically non-existent online presence and the inability to actually purchase the vast majority of their pre-owned stock offered online, they couldn't hope to stay in business.

Over the last few years, they started to feel like if Barnes and Noble decided to get into the used comic book market... some of the stuff you want with none of the charm.

Just talked to a local GS employee & he was told it was more like 200+ stores & he thought they'd be lucky to get 30 days notice if their store was closing.

Did they throw in a free Baguette when you picked up Fallout 4?

Nah, too expensive for them, especially in New York (you'd be surprised how many companies, both big and small, nickel-and-dime, even in a high-profile area). :D

Man, I haven't seen a Paris Baguette since I left S.Korea. I didn't know they made it to the states. I would just go in and buy a slice of cake and eat it on the sidewalk. With S.Koreans looking at me funny, cause I'm just sitting on the sidewalk eating cake.

cake.jpg

Years ago I bought a GeForce4 Ti4600 at a GameStop. The next time I went (around a decade ago) was to buy a wired 360 controller for my PC, and it looked like they stopped selling PC parts by that time. Not only that, but the employees were trying to get me to pre-order upcoming console games, even though I told them I game on PC. It was the last time I shopped there.

The preorder crap is awful. The last time I ever went into a Gamestop they were rude to me because I didn't have a preorder for Doom 3 and was asking if they had any copies. The guy at the counter actually got angry that I hadn't preordered it. I put down the other things I was buying and left.

The people at my local store are pretty cool. The store has a large selection of think geek stuff and game related swag (my 7yr old wanted a plush from Five Nights at Freddies - they had it)

As long as you don't go in with expectations it's not too bad. Mostly.

Their Nintendo Switch "bundles" are pretty egregious. $460 for the console, Zelda, 2 indie looking games and a nice fat $40 strategy guide for Zelda - because "value added".

The Switch is hard to find so if you want one from them, you're going to get lots of value to go with it - like it or not.

Gamestop stores are run like pawn shops these days. If I want a physical copy I give my business to Amazon. The 20% discount on preorders and release day guarantee with Prime is awesome. If I want used games I'll drive an hour down to a local business where the owners actually have a passion for gaming. I love to shill for these guys, so if anyone is ever here in southwest Florida, go check them out ;).

http://www.8bithalloffame.com/
https://www.facebook.com/8bithalloffame
https://www.yelp.com/biz/8-bit-hall-of-fame-bonita-springs

Cant say im sad, most of the gamestops I ever went into had pompus douches working at them. Every once in a while I meet a good employee but I feel they never lasted at the stores.

Good. fuck em.

This.

But mostly I say this because the business model hasn't changed. They gobbled up the competitors such as Babbages, Software Etc, EB Games and all of these also had the same business model:

1) Overpriced new items. Never do they ever have a sale. Why buy from Gamestop when you can buy from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc... whom might actually put something on sale?
2) Shitty store credit for selling them used games
3) Overpriced used games. Why the hell would I trade in a game for $2 that you're going to try to turn around and sell for 3000% markup of $30? Insane. Absolutely insane. Plus if it's a disk game, it's going to be scratched to shit anyhow.

This.

But mostly I say this because the business model hasn't changed. They gobbled up the competitors such as Babbages, Software Etc, EB Games and all of these also had the same business model:

1) Overpriced new items. Never do they ever have a sale. Why buy from Gamestop when you can buy from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc... whom might actually put something on sale?
2) Shitty store credit for selling them used games
3) Overpriced used games. Why the hell would I trade in a game for $2 that you're going to try to turn around and sell for 3000% markup of $30? Insane. Absolutely insane. Plus if it's a disk game, it's going to be scratched to shit anyhow.
Except Gamestop started out as Babbage's. They became Gamestop after gobbling up Funco, Software, Etc. and Electronics Boutique/EB Games. Software, Etc., as much as I loved them, would have gone out of business anyway if Babbage's hadn't bought them out.

Gamestop stores are run like pawn shops these days. If I want a physical copy I give my business to Amazon. The 20% discount on preorders and release day guarantee with Prime is awesome. If I want used games I'll drive an hour down to a local business where the owners actually have a passion for gaming. I love to shill for these guys, so if anyone is ever here in southwest Florida, go check them out ;).

http://www.8bithalloffame.com/
https://www.facebook.com/8bithalloffame
https://www.yelp.com/biz/8-bit-hall-of-fame-bonita-springs

Such a store doesn't even exist around here anymore, because Gamestop bought them all. :( Regular pawn shops or ebay/amazon/craigslist/etc are the only options for used games other than Gamestop, all of them generally cheaper than Gamestop itself.

Fortunately for me, we have several Vintage Stocks in our area, so I never need to set foot in a Gamestop.

Back