Games to buy for 1920x1200 GTX 285 SLI i7 4GHz setup?

[H]adouken

[H]ard|Gawd
So I paid for this bamf hardware, now I wanna put it to use. What games should I get that are graphically awesome and/or has good gameplay, to take advantage of my new setup? 2004-present or upcoming games accepted!

My list so far:

Far Cry 2 (Haven't read reviews yet, this one is a bit shaky cause no one likes it apparently)
FEAR 2
Mass Effect
Cryostatis
? That Wolverine game if its coming out on PC ?
Crysis / Crysis Warhead
Mirrors Edge
GTA IV
HL2: Lost Coast, Episode 1, Episode 2
STALKER Clear Sky
Portal
Unreal Tournament 3

Don't want/outplayed already:
COD4 / COD5
L4D
Fallout 3
Bioshock

Mirror's Edge should definitely show it off really nicely. Gorgeous game imo. Although my rig can handle it maxed out so it definitely won't stress yours :p

Crysis, like you say, is a no brainer. Enjoy your ultra high settings, you're in the 0.001% or whatever that can :)

I'm sure Empire Total War which comes out in a month or so will do a good job of showing off your system.

I thought 'The Witcher' was a pretty nice looking game too. World in Conflict and Company of Heroes, while aging, can still throw out some impressive scenes at the higher settings. Plus they're DX10 and available on Steam. There's the racing game GRID too.

I love the clean look/feel/music of Mirrors Edge, definitely willing to try that (I'm not a very picky gamer I just like things that are fun [I come from N64/Dreamcast-era so of course]).

And about Crysis, I SERIOUSLY doubt I will run either one on ultra high settings at this resolution and ever get above 30FPS. I've seen enough tri-sli GTX 280 videos, and even with a tri-sli setup these guys get like 35-40FPS average. Maybe if I get lucky and can OC my cards a lot I can pull out 5FPS more.

Thanks for the other suggestions, looking into reviews right now.

[H]adouken;1033685929 said:
So I paid for this bamf hardware, now I wanna put it to use. What games should I get that are graphically awesome and/or has good gameplay, to take advantage of my new setup? 2004-present or upcoming games accepted!

My list so far:

Far Cry 2
FEAR 2
Cryostatis
? That Wolverine game if its on PC ?
Crysis / Crysis Warhead
Mirrors Edge
GTA IV
STALKER Clear Sky
Portal
Unreal Tournament 3

COD4 / COD5
L4D
Fallout 3
Bioshock

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is the only game that would come close to pushing that CPU. GPU wise, GTA IV is probably the most demanding game followed or equalled by Crysis and then Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

By the way I hope you have 4GB of ram or you are crippling that system. With a 64 bit system you should be fine for Crysis.

I got 6GBs lol, don't worry I made sure to only purchase top of the line shit.

[H]adouken;1033686190 said:
I got 6GBs lol, don't worry I made sure to only purchase top of the line shit.

lol Only six? Maybe you should be asking what two games you should be running AT THE SAME TIME? Grats on a nice system.

My list so far:

Far Cry 2
FEAR 2
Cryostatis
? That Wolverine game if its on PC ?
Crysis / Crysis Warhead
Mirrors Edge
GTA IV
STALKER Clear Sky
Portal
Unreal Tournament 3

COD4 / COD5
L4D
Fallout 3
Bioshock

dont bother with far cry 2 unless you like doing the same shit 100 times.

lol Only six? Maybe you should be asking what two games you should be running AT THE SAME TIME? Grats on a nice system.
Supposedly 6 is not impressive, but it's more than what I need. It's kind of like the standard for Core i7 since we run @ triple channel and whatnot. 3GB is possible too, but my weak laptop has 4GB so 3 is definitely a no-no. Only next option is 6GB, and Corsair's 6GB vs 3GB gaming study was pretty convincing too!

* Mass Effect definitely added to the list, tried to run it a while ago on my laptop it sucked ass.

** Is Far Cry 2 REALLY that bad? It looks pretty good to me, I just want fun [shooting, first-person-view, FPS] games that are nice to look at. Do we hate FC2 because everyone hates it? Or is it genuinely hate-able and not worth the money on?

Minesweeper.
What a contributing post. Notice everyone praising the idea?

No.

[H]adouken;1033691891 said:

No.

I'll "praise" the recommendation and raise it a Desktop Tower Defender or Tetris.

If you can't take a joke then GTFO

what screen are you rocking for setup? i just cant seem to pull the pin on my rig..i think i have reviewitis

been w/o pc since july..i am due to frag some mutherz

Yah I know wut you mean the fraggin some mutherz is a crave if you've been w/o a pc for so long. I did like 2 months of stressing research and bought a Dell 2407wfp-hc, but the color was too intensive-red for me (even with hours of calibration). After the monitor heats up within 30-60 minutes I started to notice some black ghosts when I moved icons around or in gaming, and found out it has a black ghosting problem after googling lol. And then the input lag was noticeable too, took a couple milliseconds to catch up to my mouse but I'm mostly an FPS player so I noticed it.

Kept doing some research, NCIXUS had a deal on the Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW-HAS for $270 shipped (it's actually $267 right now!), and their dead-pixel warranty/gaurantee was only like $10-15 so that was awesome. This monitor looks great too compared to other bulky 24 inches (but 2407wfp-hc wins in terms of design). It rotates on its footprint, height lifts, pivots, flips, twists, cartwheels etc etc. has 5ms of response time which is perfect for me, didn't notice any lag after a few hours of gaming. The capacitive touch controls are very sensitive, definitely a nice touch lol. It doesn't have HDMI though, if that's a problem but a converter works. The thin bezel kind of gives it a slimming appearance in the front too (yah I care about design a bit lol).

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/Images/LCD24SAM2443BW.jpg
14030151244442img5474mtmg9.jpg

(pics are not mine)

I'll "praise" the recommendation and raise it a Desktop Tower Defender or Tetris.

If you can't take a joke then GTFO
Settle down boy.

Another vote for the Witcher. Make sure it's the enhanced edition though.

Please take Far Cry 2 off of that list asap. This has been a public announcement. Thank you.

what does dont want/already outplayed mean?

COD4 was the best game of all time.

aside from that, the orange box doesnt offer anything graphically demanding, but was the best $50 I've ever spent on a game.

[H]adouken;1033691891 said:
Supposedly 6 is not impressive, but it's more than what I need. It's kind of like the standard for Core i7 since we run @ triple channel and whatnot. 3GB is possible too, but my weak laptop has 4GB so 3 is definitely a no-no. Only next option is 6GB, and Corsair's 6GB vs 3GB gaming study was pretty convincing too!

* Mass Effect definitely added to the list, tried to run it a while ago on my laptop it sucked ass.

** Is Far Cry 2 REALLY that bad? It looks pretty good to me, I just want fun [shooting, first-person-view, FPS] games that are nice to look at. Do we hate FC2 because everyone hates it? Or is it genuinely hate-able and not worth the money on?

No.

i am using 3gb and its more then enough on my core i7 rig so far for crysis, cod4 and fallout 3

The new Riddick game should look nice on such a system. The upcoming id games should look nice too. I'm not sure what their development timeframes look like, but I assume we'll see Rage before long.

Check out NFS Undercover and the oldies, they should look unreal. In addition to NFS you could try GRID, thats a good game.

There is a lot of good suggestions here... my question to the OP is. Why would you go and fork out all that money if you needed to come in here for suggestions of games to play. When I build systems I am more then aware of what games I'm going to be trying out ASAP.

If my system can play most games at full settings at a bit lower resolution. Then you shouldn't have a problem playing anything. And yeah, Far Cry 2 is pretty, but the game play doesn't make you want to play through the game... It is a truly boring game.

Well I know a couple games I'm definitely playing, but I was asking in the case I missed something completely obvious.

I did notice it seems there's little to no good and -new- FPS games out for PC out right now...

Just bought the Orange Box and played Portal in a matter of hours, what a sweet game! The song at the end was awesome.

Far Cry 2 isn't *that* bad. However, I wouldn't recommend buying it for non bargain-bin prices. I got some play out of it, and the graphics are certainly nice to look at. I wouldn't want to pay "full" price for that, though.

I got FC2 free with my cards, and started playing it just last night. I've been having a good time with it, and dont have any problems so far. Even downloaded a script to make zoom toggle instead of having to hold the button to zoom, and now everything is fun.

Ive yet to figure out whats wrong with the game, maybe the other 20 remaining hours of it are the same thing over and over, hope there are some twists though ><.

[H]adouken;1033702338 said:
I got FC2 free with my cards, and started playing it just last night. I've been having a good time with it, and dont have any problems so far. Even downloaded a script to make zoom toggle instead of having to hold the button to zoom, and now everything is fun.

Ive yet to figure out whats wrong with the game, maybe the other 20 remaining hours of it are the same thing over and over, hope there are some twists though >
<.

the only twist in the SP game is when the game ends and you go back to the main menu

Seriously, most of those game will run like butter on your setup. Hell, even my rig could handle most of those just fine at 1920x1200. The only one that "might" give you trouble would be Crysis, FarCry2 (which i wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy), and GTA4.

Anyways, I'm really jealous of your rig :p.

Back