Games that left an impact

Mechwarrior 2, specifically the ghost bear expansion.

To this day I can still remember the first time the hanger doors opened up, into a blinding snowstorm.

Pac Man, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Final Fantasy 7 & Postal.

Far Cry (just changed the way I look at games - awesome).
Final Fantasy 7.
Last of Us. Had me hooked after 10 minutes in.
Fallout series. Loved the atmosphere.
Double Dragon. I still come back to that as a great fighting game.
Super Mario World. I liked Mario. I loved the Genesis. I didn't really want to like it. Still, when I fire it up, I get the good butterflies. Just awesome.

When I went into Shame Dungeon in Ultima picking up axes dropped by Orcs and Orc commander boots that was so awesome =) I couldn't kill the Orcs myself but there was a party of like 3-4 guys camping the spawn location.

Then I went to Destard I think some guy was taming dragons or drakes in that dungeon I found some Bone armor in the chest thought it was the shit.

2-D graphics rule when done right

Shame dungeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0edsx9Mxo

For me it's the GTA games. They do a great job of capturing the vibe of a real place and time.

bf3 showed me that online mp is a terrible thing, that 90% of people cheat and the rest are straight out of 4chan

Metal Gear Solid - that WTF psychomantis scene
FF7 - Aeris scene
Xenogears - RPG with the deepest storyline I've played.
Privateer 2 - dunno why I got so engrossed with it, just did
BF1942 - bombers, 'nuff said
Original Monkey Island - loved the humor

Mechwarrior 2, specifically the ghost bear expansion.

To this day I can still remember the first time the hanger doors opened up, into a blinding snowstorm.

"image enhancement... engaged" :D

Good times!

Outcast
System Shock 2
Ultima 7
Walking Dead
Shadows of the Colossus
Thief 2

The first Crysis.

It took a month to make any progress in the campaign and leave the beach areas because I was so fascinated with the physics and graphics. Things like throwing a barrel up a hill just to watch it roll down again, seeing it disturbing all the plants and vegetation on the way down, and generally just looking amazingly real.

Unreal Tournament
GTA 3
Homeworld
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars 2
EVE Online

Recent one has to be The Last of Us.

Also the short sequence in COD 4: MW where your character is crawling out of the helicopter...

Old one that I remembered thinking about a lot after beating it was Metal Gear Solid 2. Good times.

Read Dead Redemption - so damn good of an ending that I wanted to tell my friends.. but didn't want to spoil it!

Last of Us has a sequence mid game that really was heavy.

The walking dead, end of Season One. Very emotional stuff.

Half Life Episode 2. After going through the game, it made my wondered a lot about what's aboard the Borealis, how much did Eli knew about G Man, or what he wanted to talk to Gordon about regarding G Man.

The first Half Life game made me curious about who this G Man was too. But EP2 made me even more curious about him now.

Did you think you'd have to wait 7 years (and counting) to get an answer? I absolutely love Half Life and I'm happy to wait for a quality product, but after 7 years I have a hard time really being invested in the story like I was in the past.

Half-Life series
StarCraft series
Max Payne 1&2

These games ended on such cliff hangers or with a lot of questions unanswered. Which drove me mad.

Max Payne took to long for a squeal to keep my interest and current games don't have the stories that hold me or I'm just getting older.

Half-Life has so many games in the story line that I need closure! Especially when you leave the game on a MASSIVE cliff hanger. EFF YOU VALVE

From the history books. Many of these might be more nostalgia than true reflection, but when I think of my most memorable video game moments that triggered an emotional response, I think of the following:

Monkey Island 1-3
Day of the Tentacle
King's Quest IV
Grim Fandango
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Thief 1 & 2
Gothic 1 & 2
Outcast
The Longest Journey
Syberia 1 & 2
Morrowind
Sam & Max (Telltale)

I think I loved them more so because I didn't want to leave the characters and worlds behind once the game ended.

Back