Games Prior to 1990

ReCOde

Limp Gawd
Anyone still playing any games prior to 1990? I still find myself playing Pac-Man on the computer -.-

Screenshots welcome!

I get in the nostalgia mood every once in a while, but with so many "newer" games in my backlog along with newer releases and Fallout 4 coming out it's just not possible to commit to retro gaming.

I have been playing the hell out of my Atari 5200 for the past few months. Keep trying to one up my Berzerk score. Highly underrated system.

I still play and buy games for my 2600,5200, and 7800. CRT TV FTW

FO4 will change all this though for me as I'm sure I'll be stuck in the wasteland for weeks.

Never had a PC in the house growing up until about 1992. I remember we had an Apple II with a few games on 5 1/4" floppies.

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, remember I liked it a lot but it was difficult for 8 year old me (or however old I was, less than 10 for sure) to figure out.

Return of Heracles, I really loved this game and it was one of my first exposures to classic mythology. This game seemed even more complicated than Ali Baba and I never beat it, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

The last was a side scroller and you were a thief of some kind, jumping around in rooms and stealing items like paintings on the wall. Can't remember the name.

I still love playing C-64 games I have a couple of C-64 but I rarely use them, I mostly do Emulators.

I recall playing commando for days. I found out that after 99 lives and granades it would display odd characters

A couple of weeks ago I was playing coleco games with a friend.

I play Galaga at least every two weeks at my fav pizza spot.

Lord have mercy what I would give for co-op Ikari Warriors and Double Dragon.

Other than that, i would love Donkey Kong and the like. Are there any ways to play these at home? I've never seen them available.

Hmmm, looks interesting. I guess I need MameUI to get started since I'm a complete novice.
Protip: Get Mame+ 64 bit. It's built-in scaling filters are a must when playing low res games on a modern hi res screen.

Be aware that MAME uses no hardware acceleration, everything is done on the CPU. So emulating arcade titles with 3D elements like Cruisn' USA can be tough. You probably won't care about this though if you're only looking to play Double Dragon and such.

MAME can be a bit overwhelming to emulation novices when it comes to configuration. However, once you get everything set up with complete ROM sets and some nice flyers, it makes for a pleasant looking experience, UI wise

Had an Atari 800, then an ST1040. Tons of gaming on those. Even made our own.

Anything old school NES or arcade I can easily get into from that period; lots of classics that still hold up very well even today.

Dune2_BOD.jpg

Not quite pre-1990. But close.

I went back and played Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss recently.. I think thats from 1992 though.

Still had a blast!

Growing up I had an Atari 2600. My friends has the Intellivision and the other a Colecovision system so I grew up on those. Also first computer used was an Atari 800. Got a C64 and played tons of games on that. Also got a PC in 89 or 90 and started playing lots of adventure games.

I play Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds occasionally but its the 1992 NES version.

For me, it was first person shooters. Started with the original DOOM. We would play it at work at lunch hour with 4 players only since it was the first multiplayer game. I still have my original disk of Wolfenstein 3D that came out in the early 90's. I also have several games from the late 80's that I kept archived.

Have not in a while, but I plan to. I usually go through some ps1 games, and tetris and master of magic.

M.U.L.E.

Still have an Atari 130XE we use to play it. Nothing better than the original!

Bonk's Revenge TG-16

Absolutely loved this as a kid, still play it every few years or so. Incredible platformer, tight controls, definitely the best Bonk IMHO(Some people like Bonk 3 more, but the weak sound effects just ruin it for me). Revenge is solid. Graphics, music, gameplay, funfactor. It's all there.

TG-16 would have had a better life if they packed this in instead of that embarrassing Wataru...

Back