Games on iMac?

• Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

I'm stuck in an apartment for 3 weeks, and the only thing I have is this really old laptop which can pretty much only play SC1, maybe counter strike, and a 27" iMac (the one with the i5 and gtx 660m). I was wondering if there are any games that work on Mac OSX without requiring anything special? I think SC1 and 2 should work fine(pretty sure there are mac clients for them), but are there any others? Any newer games or would I have to buy special versions, such as those on steam?

Most / all of the ones on steam if they are cross platform will work if you own it. AFAIK atleast.

Civ V is the first one to come to mind though

Do you know if Assassins Creed II will work? I have it on uplay, and I know there is a version for Mac but I don't really wanna buy another copy just for Mac. And maybe I'll try some of my steam games later, will steam let me know which work? I know for the Linux version it only showed which could actually be installed on Linux.

Haha, PC people lost in Mac land....

As mentioned, Steam is definitely a viable option. There are SOME newer games that are cross-platform that you can try (Almost all of the Valve games come to mind).

Yes, Steam will let you know what will and will not work as the Windows only games simply will not show up.

GOG.com has many cross-platform games as well including many awesome older favorites if you do not mind the age. Could be the perfect excuse to revisit some old friends in long forgotten titles.

Additionally, Origin I believe is now Mac friendly, too. Should be a decent number of options that route as well.

With the 660m you should be able to play newer games just fine (my MBAir can run SC2, not with loads of eye candy but it *runs*).

Minecraft can waste some time quick. The Sam and Max games(or other telltale games)

Steam has a few options but kinda limited. Past that a bunch of shitty games from the app store. Friend likes Red Crucible 2 but I've never got into it. Guess I don't play many games on the mac.

I did buy the postal set which was pretty cheap. Haven't played postal 2 in a while so I figured I'd play it again.

League of Legends also has a Mac client. If you are into RPG's there is also Baldur's Gate, which is now unavailable for purchase because of "contractual issues" (HOPE it comes back soon!).

Steam or Blizzard games basically, or bootcamp it's easy as hell to do.

You'll probably want to stick with those Valve games through Steam (HL2, CSS, TF2, Portal) if you're running them from OSX.

Run Bootcamp and install Windows. You'll have a lot more options for gaming.

Install bootcamp and you can play anything. Or if you don't want to install windows. A lot of valve games play on mac os x and I TF2 is free and you can play that on mac.

Just get Civ 5 through Steam, you'll easily blow through 3 weeks of boredom with it.

Edit: didn't notice how old this is, your three weeks are already up...

Back