Games Minimizing Themselves

Stinger1

Limp Gawd
My son's computer is an Abit KD7, 2400+ with a Geforce FX 5700nu 128Mb card. He has 512Mb PC2700 DDR. His problem is with Counterstrike and Painkiller(so far). Both games play fine for awhile, then for no known reason, minimize themselves to the taskbar. He has to restore the games by clicking their minmize button on the taskbar. He has XP Pro with Service pack 1 and DirectX 9.0c. Also, he is running the latest Forcewears. Any help would be appreciated.

If he is playing and using the "E-D-S-F" buttons or a similar setup ( E for forward, S for backup, etc.) he may be hitting he "Windows key" with his wirst while playing. I have done this from time to time and it will minimize the game automatically and usually but not always pop up the Start menu.

Just a guess.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and reinstalled directx and it fixed the problem.

To disable the windows key:

Get a screw driver. Pry the SoB off.

Some keyboards may require you to file off a key peg. In such cases, do so. :)

There's a program you can get to do it, but I forget what it's called. I used it all the time in D2

Holy Thread Resurection Batman!

I saw the title and saw that I posted already and thought to myself "but that was a long time ago?" Pull the Windows Key off.

Kiggles said:
To disable the windows key:

Get a screw driver. Pry the SoB off.

Some keyboards may require you to file off a key peg. In such cases, do so. :)

^---The clear solution

Since it kinda got lost in this thread I think I should mention that the graphical Folding @ Home client causes this problem.

You can be playing a game and it'll just minimize out of the blue.

I found that using the console based one (running as a service) solved the problem.

I was just getting ready to post a similar question. I DO run F@H graphical, but never had this problem till installed the new nvidia drivers packaged with BF2. Thought maybe there was a problem with them and got the newest WHQL's from nvidia, but same problem. I thought it had to something to do with my dual display, but did it today again with second monitor disabled.

McAffee antivirus does this too... bumps you out to the desktop when it downloads a virus update. So far it hasn't annoyed me enough to disable it while gaming though.

What is it about F@H that causes this, and is there a fix? I've experienced similar behavior, but so far I've just closed F@H when I want to game. A better solution would be nice.

Also make sure your system is free of spyware, you can test it out with ad-aware or Windows Anti-Spyware tool.

that stupid windows key makes me so damn mad. I use the pocket knife mod and stab the fucker out of there. Works every time. I haven't been able to bring myself to murder the windows key on my new saitek lighted keyboard though, its to sweeeet.

This looks like it might help , but I'm not sure that this is the problem. Try reinstalling drivers, directx, and do a general tune up including a spyware check. If you have norton, try removing some of the scheduled tasks like one button checkup it installs.

agree with the above YANK! the Windoz key gives you access to the BF2 default sprint key that way :p

zandor said:
McAffee antivirus does this too... bumps you out to the desktop when it downloads a virus update. So far it hasn't annoyed me enough to disable it while gaming though.

AVG does that too, gives you "OK 30... OK 29... OK 28..." flashing on the screen. :mad: For 30 seconds :mad: I'm too lazy to attempt a fix. :D

Try disabling AVG real-time stuff altogether... Go to www.tweakguides.com and check out the XP tweak guide. He tells you how to disable all the AVG stuff so you only do manual virus scans. Worked wonders for me!

I would say it would F@H if you have that running, if not it's another program running in the background

Back