• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

games freezing on 2500k overclock

Solitude

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
1,566
I will try and provide as much information as possible.

I used clunk's guide that is pretty popular right now, mostly just adjusting voltage and multi.

I can post, and get into windows no problem when I overclock. I spent all weekend messing with bios and got stable overclocks at 3.7, 4.0, 4.2, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.8

I love the speed when it gets over 4.0 ghz, I got 31k points in 3dmark06 while at 4.8ghz which made me very happy because I just wanted to hit 30k.

Heres my particular problem. Whenever I run games, the screen freezes up. and the audio gets weird for a little bit and sometimes loops until I reset. I loaded up Crysis, Oblivion, and the original half-life even (kind of as a control) they all end with a freeze-up where I have to use my power button for a reboot. It doesn't happen immediately, but it can take a few minutes or an hour. Only ONE time, a freeze-up happened while I was running furmark. (I think I had the CPU @4.6 at the time)

I am very frustrated because I know my computer will run at 4.8 all damn day, just not in games. :(

cliffs notes:
during games temps are freaking nice. cpu never into the 60's, gpu ~65
ram is passing memtest
cpu passing prime95 (6 hours, blend) with flying colors
video card gets as high as 85c if i let it go for awhile, might go higher if i let it. (furmark)


another interesting tidbit: I used the windows based asus overclock tool and it put my computer @3.7ghz and was trying for faster speeds when I stopped it out of boredom, tried the bios oc tool and it put my system @4.2ghz (it messed with my bclk and memory a bit I think) It is rock solid stable even during games, but strangely enough I am getting the double boot issue now haha.


I want games-stable 4.8 or 5.0! :mad:

Here is my system:

Windows 7 Home 64-bit (legit copy) running off 320 series intel SSD
Corsair 650w Enthusiast Series psu
Asus P8p67 Pro (1606 bios)
i5 2500k w/H60 in push/pull
4 GB 2x2 sticks of patriot ddr3 10600 1333 mhz (signature)
Zotac GTX 480 Amp! (stock overclock, not bumped up any more)
Antec 300 (illusion)
 
lol @ (legit copy).

From everything I've read, Sandy Bridge can be completely stable in prime95 and yet unstable in games. Have you only tried gaming @ 4.8? The first thing to do is start lowering your clocks and see what it does to your gaming. If nothing changes, I would say it could be your video card, as I had a similar issue with a GTX280.
 
Hmmm...but my video card never froze the months before I moved to sandy bridge, and it didn't after I did at stock speeds, and not at the asus overclocked 4.2/4.3.......any possible way this could be an inadequate psu?
 
Your power supply is plenty for your system. Don't worry about that being a problem at this point in time.

Testing Prime is just one way to check stability. Also some of the more strenuous tests don't happen until around 8 hours into the testing (it rotates tests on a 15 minute interval, it takes a very long time before it repeats tests). It is always good to mix in some other stress testing and real world checks. Try running Intel Burn Test, you might find that fails very quickly because you are pushing the system too hard @ 4.8.

Google "intel burn test" and get the 2.51 version (or newer). That is the first version with full Sandy Bridge support, so you want that one. Extract the files somewhere, open the Intel Burn Test (IBT) .EXE, set the "Stress level" drop down to "Very High", change the "Times to run" to 25, then click Start. See how that goes and keep an eye on the temps, it doesn't take too long to run.
 
Had the same problem at 4.5GHz. Fully stable under Prime95, games crashed. Just need to add a little more voltage.
 
hmmm, should i go from what my settings were @4.8 all the way to the highest recommended ?? like 1.5xxx or whatever? or how many colts is too many for 4.8?

also, i am not sure but i believe i started stepping up voltage before when i was trying to get 4.8 stable and i think i was getting blue screens or something.... what can I adjust to counter this?
 
Last edited:
hmmm, should i go from what my settings were @4.8 all the way to the highest recommended ?? like 1.5xxx or whatever? or how many colts is too many for 4.8?

also, i am not sure but i believe i started stepping up voltage before when i was trying to get 4.8 stable and i think i was getting blue screens or something.... what can I adjust to counter this?

You might be temp limited if you want to keep adding voltage. How hot does your CPU get running Intel Burn Test at the current settings? If that even runs without failing...
 
Well, I had been screwing around with the auto tuning software that is part of asus suite 2 and when it got up to 4.8 i stopped it and setup intel burn in. I couldnt set it for the highest setting because I just don't have enough RAM. So I set it to High and 25 runs. Heres the results.



This seems promising. I am going to try out some games until it freezes again or I am satisfied it isnt going to freeze and then check how temps were while I played.
 
Back
Top