games cause my computer to restart , help me solve the problem

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
My system :
ASUS A7N8X Mobo nforce2 chipset, 420 W PSU 18 A on 12 V rail , AMD AthlonXP 2800+ Barton , 1 GB DDR333 RAM , 7600 GT AGP , Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio , Windows XP.

Some games like Splinter Cell, Driver 3 , San Andreas cause my computer to restart .
I have the latest drivers for everything .

When i report the error to microsoft i get this response :

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

I dont know which driver is causing this .

EDIT : This is what i got on BSOD ,

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

p17xfi.sys - Address f69ed0c7 base at f69bd000

that file p17xfi.sys , is that related to my creative x-fi soundcard drivers ?

i have the latest drivers for that card .

EDIT : I removed the X-fi Sound Card and its drivers , First uninstalled with revouninstaller , then cleaned in safe mode with driver sweeper and driver cleaner .

And now all the games work . So i guess it was the card causing all the problems . SO what should i do now , i had the latest drivers for that card .

UPDATE : I reinstalled the drivers and put the soundcard , and again the same problem .

I also did memtest and got errors . So is it the RAM or the soundcard drivers ?

First things first, and this should ALWAYS be done immediately after the OS is installed. Go into your system properties, and disable automatic reboots. This will give you the BSoD, instead of restarting. The filename and codes on that BSoD will let you pinpoint the problem.

i notice you didnt state what brand the psu is. a no namer could give you issues.

EDIT : This is what i got on BSOD ,

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

p17xfi.sys - Address f69ed0c7 base at f69bd000

that file p17xfi.sys , is that related to my creative x-fi soundcard drivers ?

i have the latest drivers for that card .

You could try uninstalling the drivers for the card, moving it to a new slot, and then reloading the drivers.

EDIT : I removed the X-fi Sound Card and its drivers , First uninstalled with revouninstaller , then cleaned in safe mode with driver sweeper and driver cleaner .

And now all the games work . So i guess it was the card causing all the problems . SO what should i do now , i had the latest drivers for that card .

UPDATE : I reinstalled the drivers and put the soundcard , and again the same problem .

I also did memtest and got errors . So is it the RAM or the soundcard drivers ?

If you have more than one stick of ram, memtest each ram stick individually to figure out which is bad (so you can replace or RMA it). If you are getting memtest errors: your ram is improperly seated, or your oc is too high, or your timings to tight, or you are overheating, or you just plain have a bad stick of ram.
If you resolve the ram issue, and you still get the bsod, then the X-fi is prolly the problem. My vote is currently for the ram issue being the perpetrator.

There are known issues with the Nforce2 chipset and creative labs cards. For most users updating and using the newest Nforce drivers will help.

The center of the issue is something to so with a resource maping at the BIOS and driver level.

There are various posts on the web about this issue, but most people either purchase and use a differnent motherboard or a different soundcard.

Back