• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Games cause F@H instability?

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
7,300
Running two instances of F@H console on my 170, OCed to 2.5 ghz. I haven't had ANY instability issues in Win XP Pro x64, looking through my logs I have one 'instability encountered, exiting WU now' instance, which was about the same time a game... Well, putting it nicely, went to hell in a handbasket.

Can F@H be effected by a game taking a dump in windows? And, if so, should I exit the service before starting games?

Fucking NVidia, I wish they would release stable SLI drivers. :( Keep getting a specific driver error that causes the game to cash. :(
 
yes you can stop the service from running before you game

net stop"servicename"

you can write a bat file to stop service then launch game if u wanted so same clicks as before and you can even use game icon so u never know

the only thing u might want to do is set it to restart itself say when u know ur not gaming b/c u might find urself not folding b/c u did not turn it back on

 
2. For consoles installed as a service (XP Only):

You have to have the complete service name as reported by Windows, you can find that in the Services management console, and is dependent on the path where you placed your console, mine is at C:\Program Files\F@H, so my bats are as such:

start.bat
net start "FAH@C:+Program Files+F@H+FAH502-Console.exe"


stop.bat
net stop "FAH@C:+Program Files+F@H+FAH502-Console.exe"

I pulled this from FAQ advanced tips

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027699988&postcount=6

 
Duster said:
yes you can stop the service from running before you game

net stop"servicename"

you can write a bat file to stop service then launch game if u wanted so same clicks as before and you can even use game icon so u never know

the only thing u might want to do is set it to restart itself say when u know ur not gaming b/c u might find urself not folding b/c u did not turn it back on


I guess I was wondering more if I should stop folding before gaming or not.

I'm probably not going to play CoD for a while since I got utterly addicted to UT2004 Invasion RPG again. :p
 
As a general rule, F@H and gaming really shouldn't interfere, however, this appears to be one of the cases where it does. What you might want to try is setting the affinity for one client, and run your game with the affinity set to the other and see if that helps out at all. Otherwise its a matter of personal preference as to whether or not you kill F@H while you game.

 
Have you tried looping 3dMark while running prime on both cores to test for stability? Could be it got unstable due to the added heat from the video card running full load when you were gaming.
 
RavenD said:
Have you tried looping 3dMark while running prime on both cores to test for stability? Could be it got unstable due to the added heat from the video card running full load when you were gaming.

I haven't. I have, however, setup a trans-atlantic flight in FS2004, and let it run for a full 24 hours. Even if it's prime stable for 6 years, in my experience, that doesn't mean the system is fully stable. And even stock, 3dMark keeps crashing in loop mode. :p I get really high scores, but it's not stable. And, yes, FS2004 finished that flight, without crashing, which says to me that it's stable.

THe games I play are multi-core enabled, I think. UT2004 is, right? Or just FS 2004?
 
Back
Top