'Gamers' Are Over

You guys get pretty defensive when someone criticizes gaming culture.

People are just calling out a dumb rant for what it is. You can say people are just being defensive just because they do not agree with it. That article may have been taken more seriously if the author didn't randomly throw insults, generic uncreative insults I might add. It just shows the author's level of maturity

To the idiot that wrote this article....

Leigh Alexander, what you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent "article" were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having viewed it. I award you no internets, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You keep throwing that phrase around as if it invalidates someones point.

They do a pretty good job of invalidating themselves. It is easier to sum it up in an acronym, than to rehash all the discussions for the nth time. It is tiring, especially when there is no original thought or argument presented, but yet another rehash of things already deconstructed and refuted to death. There are no points worth bothering with. Besides, straw man is their weapon of choice and that is a pain to deal with every time.

They do a pretty good job of invalidating themselves. It is easier to sum it up in an acronym, than to rehash all the discussions for the nth time. It is tiring, especially when there is no original thought or argument presented, but yet another rehash of things already deconstructed and refuted to death. There are no points worth bothering with. Besides, straw man is their weapon of choice and that is a pain to deal with every time.

Based on your calling my previous post a straw man argument, I'm pretty sure you don't fully understand how to properly identify one when you actually see one. I use them in lots and lots of other posts, but not that one.

As far as making the SJW claim, there wasn't a single gender-related concept or any kind of argument centered around the "typical" social justice agenda. All terms were gender neutral and the comment wasn't even gamer-centric. I think you may want to figure out what that stereotype means as well before you throw it around.

Then again, all this ranting and eager defense of something without even understanding the point of the article really does affirm some of the author's points...the points that have gone whooshing over your head, it seems. :p

On a side note, there have been numerous studies showing that with anonymity, human nature tends to be cruel and self-centered.

In other news , peanut butter and chocolate are amazing together!

Seriously though that's ZERO surprising. People will do anything they can get away with with anonymity.

The internet is a double edged sword and always will be. You pay a price for its existence. Unless you run it like a fascist then anonymity will rein.

Based on your calling my previous post a straw man argument, I'm pretty sure you don't fully understand how to properly identify one when you actually see one. I use them in lots and lots of other posts, but not that one.

As far as making the SJW claim, there wasn't a single gender-related concept or any kind of argument centered around the "typical" social justice agenda. All terms were gender neutral and the comment wasn't even gamer-centric. I think you may want to figure out what that stereotype means as well before you throw it around.

Then again, all this ranting and eager defense of something without even understanding the point of the article really does affirm some of the author's points...the points that have gone whooshing over your head, it seems. :p

Sorry, not falling for it. You've been well fed on this forum anyway.

Just one more biscuit...when you misrepresent people's criticism and make it about something it was not, and then argue about that, it is a classic straw man.

Just one more biscuit...when you misrepresent people's criticism and make it about something it was not, and then argue about that, it is a classic straw man.

Is it still a straw man if you're misrepresenting their point because you don't or refuse to understand it? Cuz if that's the case this thread is a straw man explosion about this article.

Or...and just throwing this out there, we could just all agree that Yes gamer culture has plenty of problems. However this is still a rambling, incoherent shit article that makes no actual valid point and was a waste of reading time.

Or...and just throwing this out there, we could just all agree that Yes gamer culture has plenty of problems. However this is still a rambling, incoherent shit article that makes no actual valid point and was a waste of reading time.

Agreed.

On a side note, there have been numerous studies showing that with anonymity, human nature tends to be cruel and self-centered.

Was that the point of your aimless meandering tirade? A demonstration? It was a little on the nose...

www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/...ies-are-Tearing-the-Video-Game-Industry-Apart

"The mainstream gaming journalist linked to above, by the way, is Leigh Alexander, who writes for VICE, Gamasutra and the Guardian, among others, on video games. Alexander also runs a public relations consulting firm selling services to – you guessed it – game developers. The brazenness of it all is mind-blowing. She called a celebrity who mocked the uptight self-righteousness of gaming journalists "a washed-up crackhead." "

www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/01/Lying-Greedy-Promiscuous-Feminist-Bullies-are-Tearing-the-Video-Game-Industry-Apart

"The mainstream gaming journalist linked to above, by the way, is Leigh Alexander, who writes for VICE, Gamasutra and the Guardian, among others, on video games. Alexander also runs a public relations consulting firm selling services to – you guessed it – game developers. The brazenness of it all is mind-blowing. She called a celebrity who mocked the uptight self-righteousness of gaming journalists "a washed-up crackhead." "

"SJ media is shitting out article after article declaring the death of the gamer identity. It's more than a little bit suspicious."

www.reddit.com/r/SRSsucks/comments/2f027x/sj_media_is_shitting_out_article_after_article/
Ha! Since I have not purposefully paid attention to any gaming press for about a decade I didn't make the connection. But as it seems it makes a lot of sense that this would be constructed to give attention back to the gaming press in much the same way organizations like the RIAA and MPAA are trying to stay relevant. You can't trust these "journalists" with all the money flying around.

I was insulted by ONE article against gamers by a site that was basically giving their customers/readers the middle finger. Obviously I wasn't happy with 8 + articles that all did the same within 24 hours.

So here we are 8 months later...

...does anyone have any new opinions to share?

Don't think it's gamers, it's people online in general.

Look at the mainstream news headlines every day, and those are just the stories that have been selected by the powers-to-be, not including the really bad headlines. We have a million different groups of people demanding that their group be treated better than the other 999,999 groups and labeling their better-than-everyone-else treatment demands as "justice" and/or their "right." And these groups are sub-dividing into more and more groups all the time. When everyone demands that they be treated better than everyone else, but that they do not have to treat others like they want to be treated, this increasingly nightmarish world is what happens. The fact that people are sub-dividing into smaller and smaller groups, hating everyone with smaller and smaller differences, is severely intensifying the effect.

Why is the strike-out option not on the buttons menu anyway? :/ I can never remember the BBCode for it.

Look at the mainstream news headlines every day, and those are just the stories that have been selected by the powers-to-be, not including the really bad headlines. We have a million different groups of people demanding that their group be treated better than the other 999,999 groups and labeling their better-than-everyone-else treatment demands as "justice" and/or their "right." And these groups are sub-dividing into more and more groups all the time. When everyone demands that they be treated better than everyone else, but that they do not have to treat others like they want to be treated, this increasingly nightmarish world is what happens. The fact that people are sub-dividing into smaller and smaller groups, hating everyone with smaller and smaller differences, is severely intensifying the effect.

Good point(s). The list of subgroups is simply mind-numbing.

Plus sometimes the subgroups intermingle, creating an entirely new subgroup that believes THEY are the most mistreated/misunderstood. It appears to me to be a race to be the most "oppressed" group. What exactly does that accomplish?

Plus sometimes the subgroups intermingle, creating an entirely new subgroup that believes THEY are the most mistreated/misunderstood. It appears to me to be a race to be the most "oppressed" group. What exactly does that accomplish?

Well, you get people who derive some masochistic joy over being oppressed. Kinda like emogoths.

They, on some level, NEED a Big Bad to strive against so they can define themselves.
But, because there's nothing suitably big and bad, they have to find something else and talk it up. Make themselves seem more heroic. So they can feel good about themselves.

They just kitbash "oppressors", throw them against a wall and see what sticks. They then go out of their way to try and define themselves as "not that".

That's pretty much it.

Fairly pathetic really.

Don't think it's gamers, it's people online in general. Lack of empathy, hyperbole, complete disconnect from consequences of words - look at Youtube comments, or news story comments. Its a cesspool sometimes.

In general, seems people are less willing to talk to one another and merely talking at one another, trying to get to some predetermined location regardless of any person or point standing in their way. I'm absolutely guilty of this myself, although I try to work at it.

I agree but I think this 'behavior' ultimately may have some positive consequences in that it eventually teaches the rest of us how to be calm and patient, avoid anger, and debate rather than resort to inflammatory remarks. Yes, there are still a lot of people that haven't gotten to that point yet, and I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better. I can honestly say however, that I have at least learned that much throughout my experience on the internet dealing with heated online conversation and trolls.

Wow, it's just like Christianity ...... mind-blowing :p

I agree but I think this 'behavior' ultimately may have some positive consequences in that it eventually teaches the rest of us how to be calm and patient, avoid anger, and debate rather than resort to inflammatory remarks. Yes, there are still a lot of people that haven't gotten to that point yet, and I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better. I can honestly say however, that I have at least learned that much throughout my experience on the internet dealing with heated online conversation and trolls.

I agree. I get into some heated discussions and I have caught myself on occasion, in short, being cruel. When I catch myself, I'll call myself out and apologize. Of course I don't always catch myself, or I catch myself and just can't quite make that switch cause it just felt too good being mean to someone who was mean to me first.

Iff I was the ass it's one thing, if it's retaliation, well that's something different :D

Wow, it's just like Christianity ...... mind-blowing :p

I think Christians are the least of anyone's worries. :rolleyes:
I can think of a few more groups which are actually causing a lot of harm to the people of this world...

I think Christians are the least of anyone's worries. :rolleyes:
I can think of a few more groups which are actually causing a lot of harm to the people of this world...

I was just referring to the comment about groups splitting up, making new groups, etc drawing an Analogy to all the different flavors of Christianity. You know, drop the Book of Mormon and 20% of your flock runs off and founds the Church of Mormon. Hold a Ecumenical Council and suddenly you get Orthodox Church and a Roman Catholic Church. See what I mean?

I was just referring to the comment about groups splitting up, making new groups, etc drawing an Analogy to all the different flavors of Christianity. You know, drop the Book of Mormon and 20% of your flock runs off and founds the Church of Mormon. Hold a Ecumenical Council and suddenly you get Orthodox Church and a Roman Catholic Church. See what I mean?

Because the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, and Scientology is soooo much better.
But, those damn Christians. :p

But, those damn Christians. :p

Scientologists are really strange people, but they seem kinda harmless as far as I know. Then again, I've never really met one in person either. They seem sorta uncommon-ish.

I agree but I think this 'behavior' ultimately may have some positive consequences in that it eventually teaches the rest of us how to be calm and patient, avoid anger, and debate rather than resort to inflammatory remarks.

That is not the main effect it is having though, because the vast majority of people complaining (which is the vast majority of people in existence) that other people are saying something "offensive" do so even when their "targets" are speaking in a calm and logical manner. You either 100% agree with them unconditionally or you are designated as an "offensive" person that should be forcibly silenced immediately.

That was my point in my other post. Yes, people are constantly resorting to extreme insults more and more, but that is a symptom of the problem, not a cause. If everyone stopped insulting people tomorrow, there would still be just as much hyperbole over every little thing everyone says, because people are not interested in what is true, they are only interested in selfish motives they are disguising as cries of "injustice."

Remember guys we are "over". So anytime you wanna stop being a gamer .. just go a head.

Like whenever..

Waiting....

That is something that I don't understand about SJW's - they support one of the most mysoginistic cultures, treating women poorly (to put it mildly).
They truly have an obvious "Patriarchy".

Yet somehow men in the US are their targets? Is that because we can't fight back?

That is not the main effect it is having though, because the vast majority of people complaining (which is the vast majority of people in existence) that other people are saying something "offensive" do so even when their "targets" are speaking in a calm and logical manner. You either 100% agree with them unconditionally or you are designated as an "offensive" person that should be forcibly silenced immediately.

That was my point in my other post. Yes, people are constantly resorting to extreme insults more and more, but that is a symptom of the problem, not a cause. If everyone stopped insulting people tomorrow, there would still be just as much hyperbole over every little thing everyone says, because people are not interested in what is true, they are only interested in selfish motives they are disguising as cries of "injustice."

There are a few articles I found that explain the GamerGate/SJW situation in terms of "modernism" vs "postmodernism". Both are right on target as to why the two groups can't seem to find any common ground, and disect it from a different viewpoint than anything I've personally seen:

On Gamers, Culture, and #GamerGate

We-will-force-gaming-to-be-free

They're worth a look.

Back