• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gamers....aiming "form" on mouse

DarkaneZ28

n00b
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
30
I've always wondered how other gamers control their mice during games. I haven't been able to find any previous posts on this topic, so I think i'll start one up.

I usually have the bottom of my palm resting on my mousepad, like a pivot point, and push the mouse around side to side or up and down with my thumb & pinky doing most of the work. I've seen other gamers putting the whole weight of their hand on the mouse itself, and actually using their whole arm (or at least their forearm/wrist) to move the mouse around.

How about the rest of you???
 
Very lightly, thumb and little finger sit down the sides, middle on the wheel, the others on their respective buttons. Bar down the sides, the other three are only touching on the fingertips.

That's for gaming anyway, for anything else the hand is straight on it, only using the index and middle finger.
 
Using an MX510 mouse.
The bottom of my palm rests on my mouse pad.
Thumb on the left side of the mouse.
Index finger on the left click button.
Middle finger on the right click button.
Ring finger on the right side of the mouse.
Pinky sometimes in the air, sometimes drags along the mouse pad.

Bascially, my thumb and ring finger is doing the aiming.
 
  • Like
Reactions: poee
like this
The bottom of my palm rests on the mousepad/desk, with the tips of my fingers lightly grasping the mouse with the index and middle fingers on buttons 1 & 2, thumb on one side, and the remaining two on the opposite side towards the front of the mouse. I pivot my hand to aim horizontally and retract and extend the fingers to aim vertically.
 
Rest my elbow on the chair's arm.
Rest my wrist on a wrist pad.
Pivot my elbox to move left and right, retracting/pushing mouse with my fingers to move up and down.
 
Rabid Bunny said:
Rest my elbow on the chair's arm.
Rest my wrist on a wrist pad.
Pivot my elbox to move left and right, retracting/pushing mouse with my fingers to move up and down.

Same here, except when im playing downstairs in my chair that has no armrest =\
 
I use the same as most of those above me.

Thumb on left side of mouse
Wrist on mousepad.
Pointed finger lightly resting on left click
Middle finger resting lightly on right click
Ring finger on right side of mouse
Pinky right behind the ring finger

I have a microsoft 4 button scrolll mouse(has side buttons). I have my left side button set to reload, but i am so used to haveing r as reload I always forget. I also find that using my wrist as a pivot point(as you stated above) gives you much faster reflexes when turning anything less than 180 degrees. But whenever i have to turn around i use my whole arm, that way when i am turned around my mouse is stuck on the side of my desk where I cant move it.
 
Bones at the base of my palm on mousepad,
Thumb on the left side,
Forefinger used for both left button and scroll wheel,
Middle finger on right button,
Ring and Pinky fingers down side opposite thumb,
Only tips of fingers have any contact,
Only very light, brushing contact with palm.

This is on my old Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0a
 
Similar to above. Thumb on left side, pinky & ring on right side, pointy on button 1, middle on button 2. I can play for hours without stressing my hand this way since all the weight is on... uh... what do you call it... the lower part of my palm? (Not my wrist bones) I'll only be able to move the mouse half an inch max this way, but it's a stable position so i usually just raise the sensitivity. Move the mouse 1 inch either way, and you'd have done a 360 turn :p It's stable enough you can still do a quick headshot from across the map ;)

The guys who move their entire hand around usually end up with blisters on their wrists (specifically the wristbone, ouch!). You can see this on the hand of any CS sniper. Us on the other hand just have a shiny palm :D

BTW, my hand is at the edge of the desk, so my wristbone is hanging off the side, only the palm is resting on the desk.
 
Bottom of my palm on mousepad (Steelpad Qck, a really cool clothpad)
Thumb on the left side under the two buttons
Forefinger on left button
Middle finger on the scroll and right button,

The mouse is MX510
 
Trackball.. never have to pick the damn thing up and recenter it on the mouse pad..
 
Should get a load of how some of the russian Q3ers play, looks pretty foreign :)
 
Thumb on left side of mouse, (thumb also works my mouse side buttons, which is usually melee and sidearm) index on mouse1, middle on mouse2, index hits mouse3 / uses mwheel when needed, ring on right side, pinky on side/mousepad. I rest the bottom of my palm (just above wrist) on the pad and move the mouse with my thumb / wrist movement.

Now thats an odd question ive never seen asked. =)
 
I used to rest my wrist on the mousepad edge, but now i pretty much keep my whole arm in the air since i play with really low sensitivity... my mousepad is 2' x 2'. THen for fingers i have index on left button, and middle on right button or scroll wheel. Ring finger rests on right side of mouse...
 
I guess I have the typical technique:

Thumb on left side of mouse
Wrist on mousepad.
Pointed finger lightly resting on left click
Middle finger resting lightly on right click
Ring finger on right side of mouse
Pinky right behind the ring finger
 
Heel on the mousepad.
Big toe on button1.
Middle toe on the wheel
Pinky toe on button2.
When im loosened up, I use my big toe for the side buttons too.


:D
 
Using a cheap 8 dollar optical mouse from big lots(lol im so cheap/poor)

The mouse is a little small for me so I have to try to keep the palm of my hand off the pad, usually my pinky rests on the pad, ring finger on side of mouse, middle finger for right mouse and scroll, pointer for left click.

I really need to start using my middle finger for scroll and my ring finger for right click and keep my hand off the pad.

Techincally best setup for gaming(requires a large mouse pad) is to keep your hand off the pad and use your arm to control large movements and your wrist to control small movements, since it is faster for a nerve singal to travel from brain to arm than brain to hand this would be best.
 
Heel of my palm on my desk edge, all fingers lightly rested on mouse/mousepad. Thumb, index, and middle finger are all just touching the mouse with the fingertips. My two remaining fingers are just resting on my mousepad and touching the right side of my mouse. I just pivot my hand up, down, back and forth from the heel of my palm. My hands are huge and it dwarfs my MX510 so I cant lay my whole hand on it or my fingers and thumb don't match up right. I also have the mouse sligthly angled to the left, ie: \ .

I have a callus where my wrist/base of palm touches my desk, the finish is kind of worn off the desk there too :D .
 
Lord of Shadows said:
Thumb on left side of mouse, (thumb also works my mouse side buttons, which is usually melee and sidearm) index on mouse1, middle on mouse2, index hits mouse3 / uses mwheel when needed, ring on right side, pinky on side/mousepad. I rest the bottom of my palm (just above wrist) on the pad and move the mouse with my thumb / wrist movement.

Now thats an odd question ive never seen asked. =)

Exactly what I do.
 
i no longer use a mouse/keyboard.....i simply use a direct neural interface now.... :D

won't that be a fun day when this really happens at a 3D-gaming level of accuracy! ;)
 
base of the palm is generally the anchor point. I have my chair rotated about 45 degrees to the table so my right elbow and forearm can be on the table. Also, thats the only way I can get some distance from my 19" crt.
 
Thumb on left button, index and middle fingers on trackball, ring finger on right button..

I'm one of those weirdos that use Logitech's Marble Mouse.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
logitech click mouse

thumb and pinky on sides
wrist on table, base of mousepad
palm on bottom base of mouse
middle finger on mousewheel
index on left click button, with a bend looks like a pyramid
other finger on right click

and the index and middle finger hold the marlboro's when smokin
 
CypherNinja said:
Bones at the base of my palm on mousepad,
Thumb on the left side,
Forefinger used for both left button and scroll wheel,
Middle finger on right button,
Ring and Pinky fingers down side opposite thumb,
Only tips of fingers have any contact,
Only very light, brushing contact with palm.

This is on my old Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0a
Same except with an MX1000
 
i use a mx500 on a S&S Steelpad

thumb goes to the left, activates two side mouse buttons
2nd finger is left click
3rd finger is right click

4th/5th rest on side, help maintain accuracy. plam rests on mousepad.

I use a DFI arm sweatband to rest my wrist, makes for a nice cushion :D
 
Back
Top