Gamecube game recommendations for Wii owners?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
I've never played anything on the GC, and I just got a Wii. I purchased RE4 at toys r us for $10. What else should I get? I like shooters and action games, adventure. Also anything with a GOOD story pretty much.

Here is a list of games that support widescreen apparently... many also support 480p. Are any of these good? 4:3 bugs the hell out of me, but I guess I can handle it. Ignore the bad formatting =/

Title 480p 16x9 Dolby PL/PLII Players
Batman Begins x x x 1
Battalion Wars x x x 1
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds x x 4
Burnout x x x 2
Burnout 2: Point of Impact x x x 2
Dakar 2 x x 2
Dead to Rights x 1
Die Hard: Vendetta x x 1
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure x x x 2
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem x x x 1
F1 2002 x 4
Fifa Soccer 2002 x 4
Fifa Soccer 2005 x x x 4
Fight Night Round 2 x 2
Freedom Fighters x x 4
Freestyle Metal X x 4
Future Tactics: The Uprising x x 2
F-Zero GX x x 4
Geist x x x 4
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent x x 4
Gun x x 1
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban x x x 1
Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup x x 2
I-Ninja x x 1
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire x 4
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing x x x 4 THX Certified
James Bond 007: Nightfire x x x 4
Madden NFL 2002 x x 4
Madden NFL 2003 x x 4
Madden NFL 2004 x x x 4
Madden NFL 2005 x x x 4
Minority Report: Everybody Runs x x 1
Mortal Kombat: Deception x x 2
MVP Baseball 2004 x x x 2
NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup x x 2
NASCAR Dirt to Daytona x x x 4
NASCAR Thunder 2003 x x 4
NBA 2K3 x x
NBA Street Vol. 2 x x 4
NBA Street Vol. 3 x x 4
NCAA Football 2003 x x 4
NCAA Football 2004 x x 4
NCAA Football 2005 x x x 4
Need for Speed Most Wanted x x x 2
Need for Speed Underground II x x x 2
NFL 2K3 x x
NFL Street x x 4
NFL Street 2 x x x 4
Powerpuff Girls: Relish Rampage Pickled Edition x 1
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc x x x 1
Serious Sam: Next Encounter x
Soul Calibur II x x x 2
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy x x x 1
SSX 3 x x x 2 THX Certified
SSX on Tour x x 2
SSX Tricky x 2
Star Fox Adventures x x x 1
Star Wars: The Clone Wars x x 4
Super Mario Strikers x x x 4
Super Monkey Ball 2 x x x 4
Time Splitters: Future Perfect x x x 4
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 x x x 2
Tony Hawk's Underground x x x 2
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 x x x 2
True Crime: Streets of LA x x x 1
Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo x x 1

Cool. Anything else? They don't have to be from the list, 16:9 titles are automaticly more interesting though.

Let's see.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Resident Evil 4
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Viewtiful Joe

That should do ya ;).

I would also suggest Zelda: The Ocarina of Time/Master Quest but those will probably be available to download soon enough.

I'd suggest grabbing the entire Prince of Persia series (Sands of Time, Warrior Withing, Two Thrones) if you've not played them. Tremendously entertaining.

Uhh, also I'd go for Metriod Prime as stated (although MP 2 didn't dazzle me like the first one did). SSX 3 is better than On Tour or Tricky IMHO, and is one of my favorite GC games.

If you're into bond games I'd go with Everything or Nothing. If it must be a FPS then grab Nightfire. I've not played from Russia with Love, but the others I've played and have been a bit dissappointed (especially Goldeneye).

Well, you got the best GC game (RE4) already, but I'd put Mario Kart: DD as a pretty close second.

as others have said, RE4, Wind Waker, and Erternal Darkness are all killer games from the GC.

Killer 7 I loved. It's weird, the story is almost incomprehensible, the gameplay is simple, but it drips style, is immensely creative, and the mindfuck is enjoyable.

Viewtiful Joe was one of the most frustrating games I'd ever played towards the end. I never did beat it. I'd begin cussing almost the second the game started, straight through till I stopped playing. Maybe I just sucked at it. However I have heard people complain about it, so I know I'm not the only one.

Personally I loved Metroid Prime 2 a lot more than Metroid Prime. I know this isn't a popular stance, but I loved the harder difficulty, I loved that there were a lot more boss fights, I loved that the boss fights often made use of your new abilities, and some of the best ones were multistaged. Plus, Screw Attack, need I say more?

Wind Waker I have to suggest. Unless you have beef with the fact that it looks like a cartoon, the art is extremely expressive and well composed. The story is good, the ending is solid, and the gameplay is classic. Sailing is a little boring, but there are plenty of areas to explore and secrets to discover. The end of the game was a little bit of a let down though. And I thought there were too few dungeons/bosses. Still, overall I strongly recommend it whenever you are done with the current Zelda.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes was my first experience with Metal Gear, so naturally I loved it and highly recommend it. It is a little frustrating at first until you get into the spirit of the whole stealth action thing. Won't be a problem if its not you first stealth action like it was mine.

Some of my GC favs:

Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, III
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil

Blauman said:
as others have said, RE4, Wind Waker, and Erternal Darkness are all killer games from the GC.
QFT

If you like RPGs, pick up Paper Mario and Skies of Arcardia. Both great games with many hours of gameplay. Harvest Moon is worth a look also, but it's a love/hate game so you may want to rent it first. Might not be a bad idea to join a video game rental club like gamefly so you can try some of these out.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

I don't own a GC but one of my best friends does. I can't tell you how many hours we've spent playing those two games alone.

DD + SSBM + 3 friends = great replay value :)

evilcartman said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee

I don't own a GC but one of my best friends does. I can't tell you how many hours we've spent playing those two games alone.

DD + SSBM + 3 friends = great replay value :)

You forgot to add the Beer

Eternal Darkness! It is only 480i, but still my favorite gamecube game.

I like F-Zero GX quite a bit, but you probably will only like it if you like fast racing games.

On a other note I also have Smash Brothers Melee and Paper Mario : Thousand Year Door and both are quite good, although I'm not finished with paper mario yet.

metroid primes, resident evils, eternal darkness, mario kart, super smash bros, tony hawk. Theres more but i forgot :). I heard u can download n64 games, download goldeneye 007 ;)

Thanks guys. I will definately check some of those out. Eternal darkness looks good. Are the Lego Star Wars games any good on the gamecube? I hear good things about the PC versions, but have never played them.

Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I have ever played........ EVER! The developers put their heart and soul into that game and it shows. I recently re-bought a copy and played it again.... it still holds up.

placeboFx said:
Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I have ever played........ EVER! The developers put their heart and soul into that game and it shows. I recently re-bought a copy and played it again.... it still holds up.

Damn't! Now I am going to have to move even faster to find a gamecube controller + memory card. :D

This is starting to stray off topic but does anyone know where I can get a wireless controller+memory card for cheap? Cheapest for wavebird I have seen is $28 @ Walmart. Memory cards seem to go for about $20 as well. I could buy a whole used gamecube system for that price!

Devnull said:
This is starting to stray off topic but does anyone know where I can get a wireless controller+memory card for cheap? Cheapest for wavebird I have seen is $28 @ Walmart. Memory cards seem to go for about $20 as well. I could buy a whole used gamecube system for that price!

Ebay? Eather that or you could get third party, although some third party stuff is pretty crappy.

sculelos said:
Ebay? Eather that or you could get third party, although some third party stuff is pretty crappy.

ebay seems to be more expensive that buying a new wavebird at walmart. Not suprised. Some ebay people are so addicted to bidding that they will pay anything.

jamesrb said:
Eternal Darkness! It is only 480i, but still my favorite gamecube game.

Eternal Darkness does so support 480p. 16x9 also.

I also recommend both Baten Kaitos games. Wonderful graphics and both look ridiculous in 480p.

Paper Mario is the most fun I've had playing a game, console or PC, in years.....I've already put 40 hours into it and still got a ways to go...If you've been a fan of Nintendo since the 8-bit and SNES days, it really evokes that "special" Nintendo feeling that I haven't felt since Ocarina of Time....For $20, you'll feel like you're 12 again, getting laughed at by a dog while shooting ducks, or trying to find Level 9 and the Blue Ring from that bearded fellow.... Not a bad deal!

I also just bought a Wii, so I've been gathering the stuff needed to play cube games. I just found one of the Nintendo brand Gamecube memory cards for $20 at my local Walmart, it was one of the one thousand block ones. I don't know if that is just clearance at my store or all stores, but I think that's a pretty good deal.

people have already mentioned them, but I thought I'd also throw in a vote for metroid prime 1&2. They somehow really captured the feel of a 2d game in 3d, and made it fun. I thought I'd hate it, but it was actually great.

WTF????

No-one's mentioned Super Monkey Ball yet!!!!!!

That game was awesome :D

Devnull said:
I picked up 2 previously owned classic (i.e. grey) wavebirds at my local gamestop for $17 a piece about 3 weeks ago. Both had a 7 day guarantee so could take them home and made sure they worked Both were mint condition and worked great. Also picked up a small mem card there for about $15, so you might want to check used at your local gamestop/eb.

Synful Serenity said:
Paper Mario is the most fun I've had playing a game, console or PC, in years.....I've already put 40 hours into it and still got a ways to go...If you've been a fan of Nintendo since the 8-bit and SNES days, it really evokes that "special" Nintendo feeling that I haven't felt since Ocarina of Time....For $20, you'll feel like you're 12 again, getting laughed at by a dog while shooting ducks, or trying to find Level 9 and the Blue Ring from that bearded fellow.... Not a bad deal!

Absolutely classic post.

Back