Game for LAN recommendations

0ldways

Limp Gawd
My kids are getting interested in PS3/XBOX games. At 17 and 13 it took them long enough!! Or maybe I wish they had never discovered them... Either way, I thought about playing with them, and decided to try to do an LAN thing at home. I want to use my server to host one that is not online at all (2P 2680 with 32 GB RAM Win 7 Pro). Maybe GB LAN as all have that? All I would need is the switch, I think.

Maybe even a few more players added to the mix?

So I took a couple of my miner cards and built my daughters some gaming machines. Both identical mini-itx/core i5 3.2, 250 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Visiontek 280X, Win 7 64 bit. My box is a somewhat faster, just to keep my old reflexes in competition of course...

I haven't researched, but what recent combat style games can be used in an LAN scenario? I'm asking here because I want decent advice, instead of internet BS. So please help an old ancient gamer out.

I don't have a problem paying for licenses and such. I'm just looking for completely offline due to bandwidth constraints there. Even older games would be good if the graphics could be considered decent in your gamers' eyes

William

The youngest seems to like the COD type war games. She leads the pack, from what I see.

I haven't researched, as I said. Lazy of me, I admit. I'm just looking for something I can run LAN for maybe 6 players. I can arrange enough decent gaming machines for that, and my server should hopefully be enough to host it. Would I need a stronger GPU in the server? I have some pretty serious hardware at my disposal for this project. Just need some brains about the subject that I haven't exercised in years. I'll tip in crypto for the best answer

You think they will like the Original Unreal Tournament 99/UT GOTY? If you can find the original CD. They didn't use a CD key :D

I had 2 of the UT keys. Loved that game.

I guess the question is: Can I play COD or Battlefield??? (I don't know either of these) without being online? LAN, as I suggested?

Theyll get a kick out of Borderlands 2, can be had for cheap now, LAN enabled, up to 4 player co-op. Start with that. One of the owners of [H] said he played it through with his kids and they had a blast.

Check out cheapshark.com for whoever has lowest price on Borderlands 2 GOTY (Game of the Year edition which includes all campaign DLC's)

Last edited:
At our LANs we generally have a dedicated server running for UT2004 and Quake 3.
But maybe you could try to get them into some Serious Sam? I know we all had a blast playing those co-op, don't remember if you can do more than two players in those though.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is one of the best LAN experiences. Solid mechanics, solid graphics, several fun game modes.

If you are open to other types of games, go for Trine 2.

This is a puzzle based game that has beautiful graphics. Two or more people need to work together in order to move further thru the story. I can almost promise that they will like it.

Evolve would be fun. It's still kinda new and pricey though. It would be neat for dad to play as the monster and kids as hunters. My kids are 7yo and 4yo, so it's Minecraft or nothing.

Back