Game Dropped From Steam After Gabe Newell Death Threat

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone know a good way to get a game dropped from Steam? What is that you say? Threaten to kill Gabe Newell? That's a brilliant idea! :rolleyes:

This was enough to set the developer on a Twitter rampage, labeling Steam "the most incompetent piece of f**king shit", claiming that the service is "f**king taking money out of my pocket" and "misinforming people that my game is in f**king early access". I am going to kill gabe newell.

Guess who got the last laugh. There's a folksy phrase, something about the hand that feeds you and biting.

I actually bought this a long while back. Its a rough but decent game, worth the $0.99 I paid for it. Has a zelda / binding of isaac style wrapped around an FPS. Supposedly since its being pulled (and not likely coming back) all the cards + emoticons from it are going to shoot up in value on the steam market.

There's one that is a white, dripping 69. :D

Guess who got the last laugh. There's a folksy phrase, something about the hand that feeds you and biting.

My hat is off to anyone that can author a game title but that gives them no points for maturity or common sense.

IF that idiot's response would have been a reasonable one to Steam mis-classifying his game, he would likely be enjoying sales of his game instead of unemployment.

Gabe Newell should flee from his home and start taking donations. Then do the talk show circuit about how game developers are always threatening his life.

"I'm going to publish death threats, everyone loves death threats. Death threats make me feel cool." Said no fully functioning adult ever.

Welp. PA no longer on steam. I'm done making videogames now. It sucked while it lasted.
I'm jumping back and forth between killing myself and getting a job at radio shack.
that whole woe is me shtick is old. if he really didn't like what he was doing, he should have just found something else he would have actually liked

Another example of misandry in the gaming industry. He wouldn't have threatened to kill Gabe if Gabe had been a woman. :)

I'm sure it wasn't a literal death threat, but it was a stupid comment to make.

I thought the same thing, that the guy must have posted something like "I'm so angry I could Kill Gaben". But no, he posted "I am going to kill Gabe Newell. He is going to die."

Now, it might be argued that he didn't mean it, but that is a literal death threat. You don't get much more literal than that.

I don't see why he's so upset about what happened. He complained about Steam taking money from his pocket, now Steam won't be taking any more money off of him.

This developer is a hardcore INDIE. Now for life it seems lol.

I wonder if its like [H] frontpage, where you can't edit your post after you think about it for ten seconds and decide to rephrase... :D

Gabe Newell should flee from his home and start taking donations. Then do the talk show circuit about how game developers are always threatening his life.

He was prepared long ago. Where's his sandwich? Done run, it's just ham!

0209_gabe-newell_400x400.jpg

Gabe Newell is a pretty cool dude who makes good games and runs a nice service. Please don't kill Gabe Newell.

Meh, I used to leave my tools at work and the night crew would use them and not put them back so I left a note saying I would kill the next person who didn't put them back. Got a nice two week unpaid vacation. Was young back then and didn't mean it, now I know people are little emo pussies.

Coarse, doesn't help when there are stories of work/school place shooting in the news left and right.

Morale of the story, DON"T MAKE DEATH THREATS!!!

Now excuse me I need to tell some fag to stop staring at me or I'm going to kill him.

Well, it looks like his postings worked. His game is no longer listed as Early Access on Steam. So there's that.

Wow, this developer has some serious problems.
Just read through his Twitter page, the emotional issues are off the charts, even before any of this got started.

Gabe Newell is a pretty cool dude who makes good games and runs a nice service. Please don't kill Gabe Newell.

Really? Name his actual involvement in a recently released game. HL3? LFD3? Portal 3? TF3? He quit being a game developer long ago. Now he is a STEAM developer raping and reaping game companies in profits. Should invest in stomach stapling too.

Doesn't it piss people off that we were left with an unfinished HL2 story? At this rate the movie will be out before the game.

If this guy was smart, he would apologize by buying Gabe a dozen donuts a day or sausage of the week club. ;)

Really? Name his actual involvement in a recently released game. HL3? LFD3? Portal 3? TF3? He quit being a game developer long ago. Now he is a STEAM developer raping and reaping game companies in profits. Should invest in stomach stapling too.

Doesn't it piss people off that we were left with an unfinished HL2 story? At this rate the movie will be out before the game.

If this guy was smart, he would apologize by buying Gabe a dozen donuts a day or sausage of the week club. ;)

What would you prefer? We use Origin?
Nice try. :p

oh man LOL

Well done!
that whole woe is me shtick is old. if he really didn't like what he was doing, he should have just found something else he would have actually liked
I think with all the nonsense in the news lately, he was expecting to get some more sympathy. Sadly he forgot a crucial piece of the puzzle... he's a he.

Stupid move. No matter what Steam screwed up, his response was utterly stupid.

Some people have like zero emotional control.

Exactly. The guy just blew up over something that could have been easily fixed with a little communication and tact. Either the guy is throwing an autistic fit or has some anger management issues... He needs some mental health help.

Sure, it was written out like one of those goofy nice death threats that sane people type up all the time addressed to people they have reason to hate... Stop defending this kind of deranged behavior.

Sure, it was written out like one of those goofy nice death threats that sane people type up all the time addressed to people they have reason to hate... Stop defending this kind of deranged behavior.

dammit-tyrone_o_865779.jpg

"Welp. PA no longer on steam. I'm done making videogames now. It sucked while it lasted."
"I'm jumping back and forth between killing myself and getting a job at radio shack."

What a fucking baby. Threatening suicide and at the very least "threatening" to quit making games (who gives a shit what he does with his life?) because he did something childish and it backfired on him? Where does this guy get off? Good on Gabe and Valve/steam in general for cutting ties with ths guy. Developers that deal with steam should be expected to have at least SOME level of professionalism.

/salute. The totally credible death threats make us oh-so-sympathetic to him and his agenda. Or some such nonsense.

Link in OP article is blocked for me - what game was this that got pulled?

this is the new post on their website: http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice

he says sorry, says he sold his half of the company, he doesn't want to be involved with anything anymore and that if he does get a job in games he'll be "one of 1000 anonymous at some shitty company". Guys an idiot.

Actually, that might be the smartest, and nicest thing he has done. The game may have a chance of getting back on Steam, and the rest of the team may make some cash for all of the work they did on the game.
We have no idea what sort of contract obligations they have with Steam regarding the game, so I don't know if taking it elsewhere would be doable or not for them.

Back