Gallery of first two days with Rebel XT

n64man120

2[H]4U
Well after getting my XT with kit lens for Christmas yesterday, I've had some time to get the hang of the little guy a bit. Here's some of my favorite shots, which I tried to do some PP'ing in CS2 although I'm still rather new to that. Shot in jpeg fine quality, going to play with raw in the next few days.

http://www.pbase.com/egaertner

So what do you guys think?

Jessica looks like a playful scamp. The light stuff is cool, what did you use to 'draw' it?

Some good shots, I don't have enough time to pore over each one, it's dinner time. :)

Nice shots, I ordered my Rebel XT a couple of hours ago, I'm dieing to get it already, damn gorund shipping.. :(

BillLeeLee said:
Jessica looks like a playful scamp. The light stuff is cool, what did you use to 'draw' it?

Some good shots, I don't have enough time to pore over each one, it's dinner time. :)

I used the flash from my camera phone as the light to draw it. I set my camera on a table, and set F-22 and 15 second exposure. Set the timer, hit the shutter, ran over and turned off the lights. Once the shutter went off, I began to draw with my cell phone light, and there you have to final product. Very nifty.

BillLeeLee said:
Nice shots, I ordered my Rebel XT a couple of hours ago, I'm dieing to get it already, damn gorund shipping..

Ah that's painfull, this thing is awesome. I'm about to buy a ip6600D printer and 28-135mm IS lens as well, to cash in on the triple rebate. Can't go wrong with a $200 printer for $50, and a $420 lens for $275.

Nice shots! Invest in a nifty fifty (50/1.8). For $70 you can't go wrong! Everyone needs a 50mm prime, you'll love the amazing(ly narrow) DOF that f/1.8 gives you.

And join up at POTN =) (www.photography-on-the.net/forums)

Yea I've been really eyeing up that 50 f/1.8. Being I'm a poor college student, trying to pinch every penny right now, but it's just a matter of time before I pick one up. Funny saying that, yet I'm going to drop $275AR on the 28-135mm :rolleyes:

The camera is great, I'm amazed how good even the kit lens looks. Even the DOF on the closer up shots is surprisingly shallow, which I like.

1.8-1.4ish primes are absolutely sick for DOF. The 50 1.8 is nice to get your feet wet with, and the 85 1.8 is an awesome lens too.

You may want to go wider than that 28-135 but its up to you ;)

The built-in flash looks pretty hard in places, so I'd highly recommend a Speedlite 420EX external flash if you can save up for it. That gave my indoor shots new life, and did wonders for fill shots.

i'll agree 150% on the flash thing!! i didn't think it would make that much of a difference until i got the 580ex it's amazing what the difference is!!!

well congrats on the new toy.

Thanks for the suggestions, the 420EX is already on my list of future purchases once I have enough cash to justify it. Also, I know the 28-135 really isnt too wide after the crop factor, but I can get $150 off it AR.

Being that the next two options IMO are the 18-50mm EX Sigma, and 17-85mm Canon, which are both in the $500 range, I'm going to give the 28-135mm a shot. I still have the kit lens for the really wide end, and if I ever wanted to sell the 28-135mm I think I would actualy end up making a profit on it :eek:

When do you plan on moving up to the Ls? ;) I think the 70-200/4 or 70-200/2.8 are beckoning for you. :D

Resist, you must resist!

Resist I shall, I plan on moving up to L's when I have more than $1000 at any given time to my name. Perhaps when I'm out of college in 4 years? Oh wait, then I'll have loans coming at me left and right. So yea, it'll be a while :(

My realistic goals of next year

28-135IS or 18-50EX or 17-85IS
420EX
50 f/1.8
Tripod
Battery Grip

L's are rather far in my future, I suppose lucky for me so I avoid the addiction :eek:

Figured I'd toss an FYI in...

Just bought:
Canon 28-135mm IS
Lens hood
Canon iP6600d printer
High-Gloss 8x10 and 4x6 paper
18% grey micro-fiber cloth
Digital Rebel Field Guide

Canon triple rebate FTW! Getting $345 back in rebates

January is lookin like it's gonna be a fun month :D

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 28-135. Where'd you get the 18% cloth and the field guide?

How'd you get $150 off the 28-135mm? The triple rebate on the lens is only $45 ($15 x 3) if I read the rebate form... You get $225 for the camera ($75 x 3). And the printer $45 ($15 x 3)or $75 ($25 x 3) depending on which on you buy...

Anyways, I got the 28-135mm and the Rebel XT for Xmas too :D

I love the 28-135mm, its an awesome lens.

Here's some of my shots :D

Aisle-web.jpg

Center-piece-web.jpg

Palms-web.jpg

Sunset-web.jpg

wave-web.jpg

shelf-web.jpg

My logic on the rebate was, since I bought the lens on top of printer/camera... +75 on camera, +25 on printer, and +45 on the lens. So I would be recieving $145 more than I would have without buying the lens.

Very nice shots, I will be getting my lens tomorrow :)

Also regarding the flash, I'm pretty much flat broke aside from a potential 50 f/1.8. I'm going to have to shoot for a month or two and see how much indoor shooting I actualy do, or if it ends up being mostly landscapes. Then I'll see about dropping cash on 420/430

Back