Galaxy S7 edge cracked glass

Hi. I bought Galaxy S7 edge and 2 days after that I get this little crack (bubble) on the screen. Look photo. I can't feel this bubble on the screen. Is there any possibility to remove it? Fortunatly when I turn on screen I can't see this bubble in the screen because it is little upper from the screen. But it is anyway annoying. Now I am wondering if I should replace screen or not. Maybe I will lost waterproof after replacing screen and get some troubles with the phone because of that in the future.

IMAG0161 — Postimage.org

Thank you for your oppinion. I would like to hear what would you do if you would be me.

Bye

Yes I know it is under warranty but I still have doubts because of the waterproof after replacing the screen. And maybe the person who will replace the screen make some little mistakes and my phone will stop working sooner.

If you RMA it you'll end up with another phone -- the S7 Edge is basically impossible to repair.

This isn't a crack, it's the adhesive of the metallic film under the glass failing. This is why you can't feel the bubble, and also why it's an actual bubble. ;)

Samsung will 100% replace this under warranty, plenty of people have done it before.

Had this issue on GS6 from the back side of the phone. They will replace it under warranty with another phone.

you did remove the protective film that they ship with right? the screen looks hazy like its still on. if you have then its what entro said.

If you RMA it you'll end up with another phone -- the S7 Edge is basically impossible to repair.
Do you have any more info on this. Just wondering what the issue is - curved screen makes it a bitch to open/damages in process?

No I don't have the protective film on the screen. This bubble is really in or under the glass.
I called repair office and they said that they would replace the screen of the phone and not give me new phone. That's the problem. I am worried that I would loose waterproof and get some other hardware problems because of replacing the screen in the future. Right now everything works fine but this bubble annoying me. I tought that I should put some skin on the phone but i changed my mind.

I there any possibility that I can at my home remove this bubble? Maybe with hot heat on the phone or something like that.

I guess you're not in the US? In the US, there is no "repair office", you just take your phone back to your carrier store, they pull you a brand new one off the shelf in the back and take your old one. Or worst case is they ship you a refurbished phone out to your house as a replacement (I've actually had better luck with refurb phones than new ones). I don't know why you would be contacting any "repair shop" though, just call Samsung directly even if you're outside of the US and they should ship you a replacement phone out to you and you ship your old phone back to them.

You know what I am thinking, the phone is waterproof aka airtight, it looks like to me during quality assurance testing that your phone has been dipped in water or some other liquid to see if it leaks, this one did and you have a tiny water bubble under the glass.

Either that or its an air bubble as air was leaking out of the case when underwater and somehow its lodged underneath your screen.

Both cases you should have the phone replaced as if its either of the above cases then the phone was sold in a faulty state.

If its an air bubble trapped in the actual glass during manufacture of the glass, then its a tragedy waiting to happen as its an obvious weakspot in the glass and any slight pressure may make the screen go pop, again, another case of sold in a faulty state.

Contact samsung or the place you bought the phone from, do not goto a repair shop as they will only want to repair it, plus if you are in europe or the us then you can demand a refund for shit like that.

I guess you're not in the US? In the US, there is no "repair office", you just take your phone back to your carrier store, they pull you a brand new one off the shelf in the back and take your old one. Or worst case is they ship you a refurbished phone out to your house as a replacement (I've actually had better luck with refurb phones than new ones). I don't know why you would be contacting any "repair shop" though, just call Samsung directly even if you're outside of the US and they should ship you a replacement phone out to you and you ship your old phone back to them.

Actually, the Samsung experience stores in the US have been repairing people's phones, and sometimes they give out freebies too. A bunch of people on XDA have been reporting their back glass cracking, and the Samsung stores just fix it right then & there, even replacing the back glass with an unbranded, international version.

As for waterproofing, Samsung repairs WILL pressure test the phone to make sure it's still IP68 compliant.

Also, not sure why someone said the S7s are unrepairable. They're 100% repairable, if you have the right parts and the right know-how.

I called Samsung in my country (I am from Europe) today and they said to me that they replace smartphone with new one if you bought it less than 7-8 days ago. But i bought mine 3 weeks ago. They told me that I need to call Samsung's authorized service in my country and I did that. In this service they said that I should show my phone to them and I did that and they replaced the screen in just one hour today. Everything was really quick. I don't see any signs on my phone that screen was replaced. It looks like they did very good job. I hope phone will work ok in the future. They also did waterproof test so phone should be waterproof.

I called Samsung in my country (I am from Europe) today and they said to me that they replace smartphone with new one if you bought it less than 7-8 days ago. But i bought mine 3 weeks ago. They told me that I need to call Samsung's authorized service in my country and I did that. In this service they said that I should show my phone to them and I did that and they replaced the screen in just one hour today. Everything was really quick. I don't see any signs on my phone that screen was replaced. It looks like they did very good job. I hope phone will work ok in the future. They also did waterproof test so phone should be waterproof.

I think european consumer law would say different.

If within the first six months you notice a fault that was not caused by yourself, then it is classed as being sold as faulty from day 1 and you can get/demand a refund, replacement or repair, however after the first six months its at the retailers/samsungs discretion asto what they offer, refund repair or replacement.

Which country are you in ? As what I just quoted relates to all eu countries and dont take shit from any retailer or company that tries to fob you off with a repair.

However if you are in europe but outside the eu, then fuck knows what consumer law you have ?

I live in country in EU (Slovenia). It looks like customers can't get new phone if you purchased phone more than one week ago. Anyways I am happy with my phone now. Everything looks and works fine. This bubble was really annoying because it was on the front.

Your link says that company need to repair OR replace item. So it is not need to replace it.

But now I am not happy with one other thing. I think this replaced display doesn't have such a nice viewing angels like the first one. Specialy when I have white on the screen I see that. And I think right edge of the screen (around 1 cm of edge) doesnt have such a nice white than left one. It is minimal difference but I can see that because white color is often shown.

I am so pissed to Samsung because they can't make every screen identical to other. It is lotery when you are buying a phone. One phone can have good viewing angles and good even colors and other (the same model) don't.

Your link says that company need to repair OR replace item. So it is not need to replace it.

But now I am not happy with one other thing. I think this replaced display doesn't have such a nice viewing angels like the first one. Specialy when I have white on the screen I see that. And I think right edge of the screen (around 1 cm of edge) doesnt have such a nice white than left one. It is minimal difference but I can see that because white color is often shown.

I am so pissed to Samsung because they can't make every screen identical to other. It is lotery when you are buying a phone. One phone can have good viewing angles and good even colors and other (the same model) don't.

That's not just Samsung, that's pretty much any display. I've had to RMA/replace pretty much all of my previous phones at some point and I've seen a noticeable difference between the displays on the same phones, whether they're SLCD or AMOLED. Which is why I don't pay too much attention to intense display reviews on phones, because I know if I get the phone or handle one for myself, it's probably going to be slightly different.

This is one of the many reasons I like to root though; so I can tweak the display properties to my preference. Though some OEMs are giving more control over color temp like HTC, whereas Samsung only gives you a few presets to choose from that mostly just affect color saturation.

I would think the viewing angles would pretty much be the same across all of their displays though, so I wonder if your repair tech didn't get the replacement display as close to the glass as the original display, which would also affect viewing angles.

it is unlikely that glass is not so close. Fuck off Samsung. We payed a lot of money for your phones and then it is a lottery if you get phone with good or faulty display.

Should Samsung replace the screen if the white color is not even on the whole screen? I can clearly see that the white on the left upper quater of the screen is brighter than the white on the quater from the right down.

As taken from my link.

• Within 6 months of their receipt, you simply need to show the trader that the goods are faulty or not as advertised.
That will guarantee you a refund or a replacement, you do not have to accept a repair if it is not older than six months, however after six months if the company says we want to try to repair it, you have to give them that option, but if you are not happy after the repair you can then complain again and try for a replacement or a refund.

Basically what I am saying is, EU law, which hopefully by this time tomorrow I will no longer be part of, but EU law states that if it is faulty within the first six months, you the consumer have the right to DICTATE to the retailer where you purchased it from, that you want a refund, or you want a replacement or you want a repair.

You can physically tell them, I do not want it repaired, I want a complete refund as it was miss sold, i.e nowhere does it say it has a bubble on the screen, infact it will probably state ithas a very clear excellent screen, or that it is faulty because of that bubble, either case you CAN tell them what you want, not they tell you.

However, after six months, you can only accept what the retailer offers you, which may be a repair, however after you get it repaired if you are still not happy then you are sill legally entitled to have it repaired again and in most circumstances most major cmpanies would just give you a new unit.

Do not be afraid to use these rules, basically most of the entire european union is not aware of these rules, companies like apple etc try to get you to purchase applecare etc for an extended warranty of two years, but you already have that for free as your statutory consumer rights in the eu.

Apple and Co carefully hide that fact either in very small writing or on hidden webpages that you have to hunt to find, infact apple got sued for it in the eu as they were shoving their applecare warranty down ppls throats but innocently forgetting to tell them that in the eu, their is no need to buy applecare as if your item becomes faulty its still under warranty for two years and longer, but they were making out that it was only covered for one year without applecare.

Do you also know that most electronic items should be expected to last roughly six years ? Thats how long eu law states a tv etc must work for and in that time if it becomes faulty then the manufacturer has to refund/replace if the owner wishes upto 6 months and after six months and upto six years the company is legally obliged to either fix, replace or refund.

The law is on your side, you dont use it then your stuck with a phone that is annoying you, if the retailer starts messing you about, point him to the eu consumer law website which THEY will be fully aware of, but they hope that you wont be fully aware of what rights you do and dont have.

Use em or lose em

Edit

Forget samsung unless you purchased it directly from them, samsung only really come into play after the six months period, take it back to the shop and tell them under consumer laws which covers the entire european union, that you are not happy with the phone, the bubble should not be there, it is a manufacturing defect and you want a complete refund, demand that you get refunded as thats what you are entitled to. The longer you wait the harder it becomes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your long answer. I already replaced the screen from official servicer. I have now one other problem and I don't know if they need to fix it because it everybody knows that AMOLED screens are not the same. Please look my last post.

Do they have to replace the actually display itself just to replace the glass on top of it?

It is still unlikely that the glass is not not so close. (Triple negative for you there :p)

Back