• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

No, I would want the phone to stay the same size but with a larger battery. If you change the design so you don't have to design for the ease of swapping and the easily removed cover you can use that gained space for a larger battery.

It wouldn't be a big difference and I bet most people would prefer a removable battery. They made the right choice.
 
It wouldn't be a big difference and I bet most people would prefer a removable battery. They made the right choice.

I'll up the ante then. I'd wager that the majority of buyers of a popular smartphone like the S3/S4 don't care about an easily swapped battery. Most likely never even take off that back cover, and if the battery went EOL and they needed a replacement they'd take it into the carrier they bought it from and have the people there replace it. Even though it would be incredibly easy to replace.
 
But that's the point. There is still room to gain by doing this. It's how the iPhone's manage to always remain so compact and yet still manage to have a decent battery. Although the iPhones have a considerably smaller battery as it is.

Samsung might upset a few 'power users', but it's not like these people couldn't just use those portable recharge things like I mentioned. (Which offer far more function and utility then carrying around a replacement battery IMO as you can get like 3-4 full recharges out of it.)

iPhone battery life has nothing to do with size/sealed and is entirely due to iOS. Using a portable charger is not the same thing at all. I bought 2 extra batteries with a charger for ~$20. I can keep them both charged and it takes about 5s to swap. How long would I have to keep the charger connected?

Seriously the phone is already extremely compact. And you have the option of doubling battery life for so cheap. Its the best possible option.
 
There are a number of products made by a number of companies that quite easily attach to either the Micro-USB port of various android phones, or the lightning port on the iPhone 5 that are basically battery packs. I find these to be a superior solution to carrying around a specific replacement battery if I need more power on the go.

I don't, they're a lot bigger and more bulky to carry. You can put a battery in any tiny little pocket or even your wallet and not notice it. Not so much with those battery packs. Plus it's more cumbersome to use your phone while you use those battery packs and they're considerably more expensive than a replacement battery.
 
I'll up the ante then. I'd wager that the majority of buyers of a popular smartphone like the S3/S4 don't care about an easily swapped battery. Most likely never even take off that back cover, and if the battery went EOL and they needed a replacement they'd take it into the carrier they bought it from and have the people there replace it. Even though it would be incredibly easy to replace.

They take off the cover to add an sd card :D

But yes, you may be right about batteries. Its still a nice option to have and doesn't really have much downsides. You're forgetting the role perception plays. People like to think they're getting more, even if they never use the feature.
 
iPhone battery life has nothing to do with size/sealed and is entirely due to iOS. Using a portable charger is not the same thing at all. I bought 2 extra batteries with a charger for ~$20. I can keep them both charged and it takes about 5s to swap. How long would I have to keep the charger connected?

Seriously the phone is already extremely compact. And you have the option of doubling battery life for so cheap. Its the best possible option.

Yes, the efficiency of iOS helps the battery life. You've missed the discussion. It is an objective fact that not needing to design in a cover, and more accessable battery will give you more real-estate inside the body of the phone for more battery. (or a smaller device)
 
Yes, the efficiency of iOS helps the battery life. You've missed the discussion. It is an objective fact that not needing to design in a cover, and more accessable battery will give you more real-estate inside the body of the phone for more battery. (or a smaller device)

Hang on, now you're talking about a sealed back? So how do I add an sdcard? Or you think that's not needed either? Well, HTC is perfect for you then! Except they manage to have smaller batteries than Samsung in the same form factor, how do you explain that?
 
S4-Specs1-650x618.png



S4 has the biggest screen with the least bezel in the smallest form factor, the lightest phone (ignoring iPhone as it doesn't compete) and the largest battery, along with sdcard and removable battery support.

Anyone who denies what an engineering achievement this is is a fool.
 
Hang on, now you're talking about a sealed back? So how do I add an sdcard? Or you think that's not needed either? Well, HTC is perfect for you then! Except they manage to have smaller batteries than Samsung in the same form factor, how do you explain that?

If I were designing an Android phone i'd quite literally copy the iPhone 5 and give it a micro-sd slot on the outside.

I have no idea what HTC does.

I wouldn't want the phone body to be entirely sealed though. I'd design it to be 'sealed' by a couple of screws like the iPhones are. That way you've got a nice secure fit, but it doesn't require much effort to undo the screws and replace simple shit like the battery/screen if you need too.
 
S4 has the biggest screen with the least bezel in the smallest form factor, the lightest phone (ignoring iPhone as it doesn't compete) and the largest battery, along with sdcard and removable battery support.

Anyone who denies what an engineering achievement this is is a fool.

I'm not. I'm simply noting that for the next Galaxy (or whatever) they should go the route I mentioned and give themselves an even larger battery at the cost of ease of swapping. Most users wouldn't give a crap anyways. Even though you can be damn sure the power users would have a hissy fit.
 
There are a number of products made by a number of companies that quite easily attach to either the Micro-USB port of various android phones, or the lightning port on the iPhone 5 that are basically battery packs. I find these to be a superior solution to carrying around a specific replacement battery if I need more power on the go.

I find them not to be, really why do people defend this stupid trend? How can you replace a completely dead battery with those? You cant so you are just lugging around 2x the phone with 1x battery.

Samsungs removable battery is killer and the other companies are all sitting around so puzzled by samsungs success when a part of it is literally just that simple, removable battery, micro SD slot, lol 2 things and they rake in the sales. I honestly think if it were not for those 2 things the race would be a lot closer with other android OEMs.

I don't know if these are engineering achievements or innovations but apparently none of the other idiots are practical enough to get it.

And BTW removable battery is not so you can swap one out in the middle of a hot date, its so you can update your battery once a year when its lost 20% of its charge, or you can buy a large extended battery and run for a whole day of heavy use. Its flexibility and resale value when the next person can say I can buy that phone because I don't have to worry about the battery.

Personally I like HTCs looks way better than Samsung, or apple or most for that matter but when they started going sealed batteries their game was over with me. They really dropped the ball. A phone at the end of the day is just a stupid rectangle that 90% of people cover in a huge horrendous case so who cares what it looks like?
 
Hang on, now you're talking about a sealed back? So how do I add an sdcard?

While I am with you and would prefer to have both a removable battery and SD card, the Razr phones have sealed batteries and SD card slots on the side, so you can easily have a sealed battery and keep an SD card slot.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/S4-Specs1-650x618.png[/IM G]

S4 has the biggest screen with the least bezel in the smallest form factor, the lightest phone (ignoring iPhone as it doesn't compete) and the largest battery, along with sdcard and removable battery support.

Anyone who denies what an engineering achievement this is is a fool.[/QUOTE]

But it's not made of *insert precious metal/alloy here*! So it's garbage. :p
 
I wonder what Samsung had to do to put a bigger battery, more screen and a few more features but have it lighter than the last? All I can think of is put more plastic than ever. More battery capacity at this point always means heavier. Same with screen, or maybe its because of the new gorilla glass since I believe the 3 is much thinner and lighter than ever.

Samsung is starting to go iPhone. More of the same.
 
Samsungs removable battery is killer and the other companies are all sitting around so puzzled by samsungs success when a part of it is literally just that simple, removable battery, micro SD slot, lol 2 things and they rake in the sales. I honestly think if it were not for those 2 things the race would be a lot closer with other android OEMs.

Explain the iPhone's success? Your average consumer won't care about a removable battery or microSD.

Samsung's success is from an insane advertising budget and word of mouth from phone geeks (who do care about those two things), but those two things alone aren't necessary for 90% of consumers.
 
I don't have to explain it because the iPhone does not compete, its a completely different world for apple and the RDF. Its like saying explain the success of Versace when his clothes are completely impractical often stupid looking and hugely successful and expensive. Half of why he sells shit is just so people can say they own it.

Apple can do what ever the hell they want, and they will sell shit because they are good at advertising and cool.

The android OEMs never had that luxury so they have to learn to make products that people want / need. Android products fill niches like the lower priced niche, and people who buy that shit care about if their phone is going to be a paper weight with a dead battery before their contract runs out. Apple people don't even ask the question. Android also has a lot of the more tech savvy customers these were the people that kick started the success.

Is this all of the market, of course not, but there are a lot of people out there who went through the whole sealed battery phase with iPhones and said screw that never again, when they had to spend 6 months with a battery that only lasted an hour. Unibody dog lol

Look theirs plenty of impractical and stupid people to go around for apple, HTC and Samsung, my point is what separates HTC whom makes pretty good phone IMO from Samsung? Why is it that Samsung is crushing them sales wise? Well I do not know exactly how much of an effect it is but I do know there is an effect. At this point in the game with almost everyone using sealed batteries Samsung is just slam dunking customers by sticking with the removable battery and replaceable storage. And if those customers are lets say just 10% of the market, Samsung gets to hoard that entire 10% for themselves at this point. Then those 10% are like walking advertisements for Samsung.
 
I don't have to explain it because the iPhone does not compete, its a completely different world for apple and the RDF. Its like saying explain the success of Versace when his clothes are completely impractical often stupid looking and hugely successful and expensive. Half of why he sells shit is just so people can say they own it.

Apple can do what ever the hell they want, and they will sell shit because they are good at advertising and cool.

The android OEMs never had that luxury so they have to learn to make products that people want / need. Android products fill niches like the lower priced niche, and people who buy that shit care about if their phone is going to be a paper weight with a dead battery before their contract runs out. Apple people don't even ask the question. Android also has a lot of the more tech savvy customers these were the people that kick started the success.

Is this all of the market, of course not, but there are a lot of people out there who went through the whole sealed battery phase with iPhones and said screw that never again, when they had to spend 6 months with a battery that only lasted an hour. Unibody dog lol

Look theirs plenty of impractical and stupid people to go around for apple, HTC and Samsung, my point is what separates HTC whom makes pretty good phone IMO from Samsung? Why is it that Samsung is crushing them sales wise? Well I do not know exactly how much of an effect it is but I do know there is an effect. At this point in the game with almost everyone using sealed batteries Samsung is just slam dunking customers by sticking with the removable battery and replaceable storage. And if those customers are lets say just 10% of the market, Samsung gets to hoard that entire 10% for themselves at this point. Then those 10% are like walking advertisements for Samsung.

You do understand that replacing the battery on the iPhone's only requires the extra step of removing screws, correct? Further, your 'typical' user doesn't worry about this because if the battery becomes an issue they can easily walk into an Apple store and get it replaced anyways.

Also, it's common knowledge the iPhones have higher resale value then any of the phones running Android. Battery replaced or not.

It is foolish to beleive Samsung is gaining marketshare because of an easily swapped battery. Some users appreciate this fact. This did not account for anywhere near 10% of the 40 million S3 sales though. I can soundly state that opinion using only a small amount of perception to the situation.
 
Let me get this straight, HTC is hurting pretty bad right now, and needs a major sales success. Ok, so they announce their top of the line phone, the One, the same month as the Samsung Galaxy S4. Uh, ok smart move.

Now HTC has shipping issues, the phone delayed slightly to mid April or so, right near the Galaxy S4 launch. Yeah, um, not good.

The HTC One "The forgotten phone"

Does HTC realize that Samsung will nuclear bomb their launch, with and adverting campaign that will make Super Bowl ads seem cheap. I feel a little bad for HTC now.
 
Samsung being the #1 phone seller in the world and their phones having removable batteries and SDcard slots, I would say lets not fix something thats not broke, regardless of the nerd rage on this forum over it.

Anyways the phone is:

Relatively the same size as the S3
Slightly lighter then the S3
1080p
bigger battery
bigger internal storage
mass spectrum support
(possibly) better optics
great sound
(possibly) includes Snapdragon 600 *which if paired with that battery you wouldn't have to charge for days!
(possibly) includes Exynos 5410 which may have the strongest GPU on the market
Uses LPDDR3 - YES!!

But apparently this is just a S3 or stinks because it still has a removable back that allows you to swap batteries (I mean its not like you have to use it...) and isn't designed by lady gaga.

This is a really good phone and I imagine this will most likely surpass the HTC One in reviews in the upcoming month. I can't wait to see which one the USA gets, I kind of hope its the Exynos :D
 
Everything i'm reading is saying the US will the see the quad core version. Any one know why samsung is shitting on us?
 
Nothing wrong with it.
MicroSD slot still makes it easily the best choice of phone for any media enthusiast
 
Let me get this straight, HTC is hurting pretty bad right now, and needs a major sales success. Ok, so they announce their top of the line phone, the One, the same month as the Samsung Galaxy S4. Uh, ok smart move.

Now HTC has shipping issues, the phone delayed slightly to mid April or so, right near the Galaxy S4 launch. Yeah, um, not good.

The HTC One "The forgotten phone"

Does HTC realize that Samsung will nuclear bomb their launch, with and adverting campaign that will make Super Bowl ads seem cheap. I feel a little bad for HTC now.

I do too because their major phones are REALLY good, but they have had some major miss fires in the past and this delay is massive for them. They better get in good with Verizon and ATT so they can pimp their phone. The last phone I've seen pimped was the Sensation...

Everything i'm reading is saying the US will the see the quad core version. Any one know why samsung is shitting on us?

Shitting? the Snapdragon 600 is shitting on us? If anything I'd think people wouldn't want to the not-so developer friendly Exynos, which will undoubtedly kill battery life with a screen that size.
 
Everything i'm reading is saying the US will the see the quad core version. Any one know why samsung is shitting on us?

Yeah, this is confusing me as well. Being that the Exynos 4412 in the Note 2 has no issues with LTE, but it is essentially the same SoC as the 4410 in the international S3 and Samsung still went with the S4 for the US S3s. So I'm confused by this too. I have no idea why they would have different variants of the S4 at all when the Note 2 is the same across the world barring different radios for different carriers (though they're all GSM capable). The S4 Pro is still a decent SoC, but it has already been in phones for 6 months now and Snapdragon 600 in the One will have a bit of a performance edge over it. I'm hoping Samsung clarifies what's going on with this soon.
 
Yeah, this is confusing me as well. Being that the Exynos 4412 in the Note 2 has no issues with LTE, but it is essentially the same SoC as the 4410 in the international S3 and Samsung still went with the S4 for the US S3s. So I'm confused by this too. I have no idea why they would have different variants of the S4 at all when the Note 2 is the same across the world barring different radios for different carriers (though they're all GSM capable). The S4 Pro is still a decent SoC, but it has already been in phones for 6 months now and Snapdragon 600 in the One will have a bit of a performance edge over it. I'm hoping Samsung clarifies what's going on with this soon.

It may be something to do with the carriers here not wanting to support the Exynos.
 
The real question is - how late will Verizon get this, and will they lock the bootloader again, and how long till XDa finds a miracle unlock again.

If VZW releases this unmodified at the same time as other US carriers, well, I'll be looking for pigs outside my window :)
 
The real question is - how late will Verizon get this, and will they lock the bootloader again, and how long till XDa finds a miracle unlock again.

If VZW releases this unmodified at the same time as other US carriers, well, I'll be looking for pigs outside my window :)

If it is the S4pro or 600 there might already be something available...

Too bad you can't get the phone unbranded then bring it to VZW...
 
Samsung being the #1 phone seller in the world and their phones having removable batteries and SDcard slots, I would say lets not fix something thats not broke, regardless of the nerd rage on this forum over it.

Anyways the phone is:

Relatively the same size as the S3
Slightly lighter then the S3
1080p
bigger battery
bigger internal storage
mass spectrum support
(possibly) better optics
great sound
(possibly) includes Snapdragon 600 *which if paired with that battery you wouldn't have to charge for days!
(possibly) includes Exynos 5410 which may have the strongest GPU on the market
Uses LPDDR3 - YES!!

But apparently this is just a S3 or stinks because it still has a removable back that allows you to swap batteries (I mean its not like you have to use it...) and isn't designed by lady gaga.

This is a really good phone and I imagine this will most likely surpass the HTC One in reviews in the upcoming month. I can't wait to see which one the USA gets, I kind of hope its the Exynos :D

Pretty much what everyone did to apple with the 5. I dont see why everyone wouldnt do the same with the S4 since its closer to the S3 than the iphone 5 was to the 4S.

Everything now will be as follows:

Bigger screen
Bigger battery
Faster processor
New Software feature that arguably no one will ever use but they do it just because they need something new
Better optics

Its getting to the point where the only thing they need to do really is increase battery life because the quad core procs are already way too fast for any mobile OS, and screens are getting so close to tablets they are no longer a phone. From here on out I just predict incremental updates and of course if Samsung does it its alright, you get some backlash. If apple does it FUUU its a sinking ship no more innovation, over valued, not new enough. Honestly the S3 and iphone 5 are such great phones and are so fast the only thing I could want is ridiculous battery life.
 
Shitting? the Snapdragon 600 is shitting on us? If anything I'd think people wouldn't want to the not-so developer friendly Exynos, which will undoubtedly kill battery life with a screen that size.
I'm only seeing s4 pro. Have there been reports of the snapdragon 600? As for battery life the 8 core should kill, with the low power A7 cores.
 
The real question is - how late will Verizon get this, and will they lock the bootloader again, and how long till XDa finds a miracle unlock again.

If VZW releases this unmodified at the same time as other US carriers, well, I'll be looking for pigs outside my window :)

You can almost guarantee that Verizon will make them lock the bootloader down since that was the case with the S3 and Note 2 when all other variants didn't have signed bootloaders. But it will almost inevitably get unlocked anyways. I'm glad Samsung doesn't encrypt the bootloader like Moto does with their Verizon phones. I like to think that Samsung does that intentionally to give devs a chance to break it open, heh.

Too bad you can't get the phone unbranded then bring it to VZW...

Indeed. I hope Moto has that option with the X Phone (if it's in fact real). You can buy developer editions of the S3, Note 2 and Razr HD, so it is somewhat feasible to buy phones outside of Verizon and use them on their network.
 
Yeah, this is confusing me as well. Being that the Exynos 4412 in the Note 2 has no issues with LTE, but it is essentially the same SoC as the 4410 in the international S3 and Samsung still went with the S4 for the US S3s. So I'm confused by this too. I have no idea why they would have different variants of the S4 at all when the Note 2 is the same across the world barring different radios for different carriers (though they're all GSM capable). The S4 Pro is still a decent SoC, but it has already been in phones for 6 months now and Snapdragon 600 in the One will have a bit of a performance edge over it. I'm hoping Samsung clarifies what's going on with this soon.

When Samsung had the 4410 ready to go, sources stated that Samsung had not yet worked out LTE compatibility with it. I will honestly say that I do not know WHY this is the case (Tegra 4 is also not compatible with CDMA, but I figured that it's a design choice). The 4412 had LTE/HSPA+42 compatibility. As such, since US carriers wanted forms for 4G compatibility, the 4410-equipped SGS3 had to be replaced with a Snapdragon model, while the much-later-released Note 2 was ready for Samsung's LTE solution.

What makes no sense to me is that, if Samsung got Exynos 4 working with LTE, then one would assume that Exynos 5 would have the same benefit. Indications are that the Exynos5-toting global models will feature LTE connectivity. So, I'm wondering why the different SOC for the US market.

Also, Samsung has yet (correct me if I'm wrong, please) confirmed the SOC, other than to state that different markets will see different SOCs. It's a good bet that we'll see Snapdragon in the US and Exynos globally. However, I'm still not sold on -octa being in this phone. But hey, I honestly WANT to be wrong on that.
 
This is a really good phone and I imagine this will most likely surpass the HTC One in reviews in the upcoming month. I can't wait to see which one the USA gets, I kind of hope its the Exynos :D

I agree with all of your post but the last part. Samsung can keep their shitty, undocumented Exynos, with its ridiculously complex architecture, and instead we'll take the Snapdragon 600.... just as fast, but with much, much better documentation....

The US got the vastly superior version of the GS3 last year... if we get the Snapdragon 600 this time, we'll win yet again.
 
I dont see why everyone wouldnt do the same with the S4 since its closer to the S3 than the iphone 5 was to the 4S.

Eh, I don't think so. The iPhone 5 had a pretty minor vertical resolution bump to accommodate the slightly larger display and form factor, but retained the same shape. The S4 has a significant resolution bump in a slightly larger display, but in a slightly smaller overall form factor for the phone and is a bit more squarish than the S3. They also changed around the flash and speaker placement and added a few more sensors for the NoTouch sensor, IR Blaster for entertainment devices, pedometer and other sensors to track your health and vitality, etc. I'm sure there are a few other things I'm missing, but most of the other new features were done in software. I don't think the iPhone 5 got that many improvements over the 4S.
 
I agree with all of your post but the last part. Samsung can keep their shitty, undocumented Exynos, with its ridiculously complex architecture, and instead we'll take the Snapdragon 600.... just as fast, but with much, much better documentation....

The US got the vastly superior version of the GS3 last year... if we get the Snapdragon 600 this time, we'll win yet again.

I think if the Exynos makes its way to the USA then it may get a bit more documentation released on it. Who knows, I said it in jest really, I would much rather have the 600 as well.

I'm only seeing s4 pro. Have there been reports of the snapdragon 600? As for battery life the 8 core should kill, with the low power A7 cores.


Anand is pretty positive it has the Snapdragon 600 in it. Anand has been very spot on with both their HTC One and Galaxy S4 assumptions. I'm going to put a lot of stock into what they say.

Plus its been stated as a Qualcomm processor running at 1.9ghz. Don't think Sammy would pick a S4 Pro vs. a brand new, all in one set, which would actually save them money in the long run.

The BIG.little would help but it would be much much much worse then the A9's out there now (like the 600's), it has a power saver core but since the BIG quad will be used most of the time when you are doing anything with the phone, while it would move extremely fast, so would the power battery level of your phone. The only thing I can hope comes out of this is a browser that uses the most out of the 'little' quad since both quads will most doubtedly use the sgx544.
 
Eh, I don't think so. The iPhone 5 had a pretty minor vertical resolution bump to accommodate the slightly larger display and form factor, but retained the same shape. The S4 has a significant resolution bump in a slightly larger display, but in a slightly smaller overall form factor for the phone and is a bit more squarish than the S3. They also changed around the flash and speaker placement and added a few more sensors for the NoTouch sensor, IR Blaster for entertainment devices, pedometer and other sensors to track your health and vitality, etc. I'm sure there are a few other things I'm missing, but most of the other new features were done in software. I don't think the iPhone 5 got that many improvements over the 4S.

No? I'd say it did.

Thinner, and noticeably lighter for one. Partially due to using aluminum this go around and getting rid of the stupid glass back. The change to superior materials/construction alone was/is a nice improvement.

You'd got the larger display. No, it wasn't a huge increase in resolution like the S4, but it's a top-notch fully calibrated IPS display. In terms of physical screen dimensions the iPhone 5 gained more in physical size then the S3->S4 transition.

LTE. Not really something 'new' when the iPhone 5 came out, but the 4s didn't have it. Further, the radio used in the iPhone 5 was the first of the gen 2 LTE radio's which allowed the iPhone 5 to be one of the first on the market to do LTE without a massive hit in battery life.

And of course the A6.

The iPhone 5 was a larger jump from the 4s then people would like to admit. A quick glance at either phone doesn't really tell one that though. It generally doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

This is why i'm dumbfounded at these people claiming the 4s->5 or now the S3->S4 is hardly any upgrade. It's just a wrong statement. Both are fairly subtantial upgrades. If we are talking just about cell technology the 5 alone was a huge improvement given the fact that it gave the iPhone's LTE.
 
Pretty much what everyone did to apple with the 5. I dont see why everyone wouldnt do the same with the S4 since its closer to the S3 than the iphone 5 was to the 4S.

Everything now will be as follows:

Bigger screen
Bigger battery
Faster processor
New Software feature that arguably no one will ever use but they do it just because they need something new
Better optics

Its getting to the point where the only thing they need to do really is increase battery life because the quad core procs are already way too fast for any mobile OS, and screens are getting so close to tablets they are no longer a phone. From here on out I just predict incremental updates and of course if Samsung does it its alright, you get some backlash. If apple does it FUUU its a sinking ship no more innovation, over valued, not new enough. Honestly the S3 and iphone 5 are such great phones and are so fast the only thing I could want is ridiculous battery life.

I was saying it as they didn't put much thought into "improving" the iPhone. The software was very lacking but that shouldn't be a shocker. The S4 shows more improvements on the phone (so far, I'm saying this as we have yet to receive all technical specs and a proper review) over the S3.

Can't wait to see the Exynos in action but this isn't exactly a friendly SoC around these parts (aka the internet).
 
No? I'd say it did.

Thinner, and noticeably lighter for one. Partially due to using aluminum this go around and getting rid of the stupid glass back. The change to superior materials/construction alone was/is a nice improvement.

You'd got the larger display. No, it wasn't a huge increase in resolution like the S4, but it's a top-notch fully calibrated IPS display. In terms of physical screen dimensions the iPhone 5 gained more in physical size then the S3->S4 transition.

LTE. Not really something 'new' when the iPhone 5 came out, but the 4s didn't have it. Further, the radio used in the iPhone 5 was the first of the gen 2 LTE radio's which allowed the iPhone 5 to be one of the first on the market to do LTE without a massive hit in battery life.

And of course the A6.

The iPhone 5 was a larger jump from the 4s then people would like to admit. A quick glance at either phone doesn't really tell one that though. It generally doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

This is why i'm dumbfounded at these people claiming the 4s->5 or now the S3->S4 is hardly any upgrade. It's just a wrong statement. Both are fairly subtantial upgrades. If we are talking just about cell technology the 5 alone was a huge improvement given the fact that it gave the iPhone's LTE.

I agree. I'd much rather have an open platform with an A6 then an open platform with the Exynos. Too bad that will never happen in our world.
 
No? I'd say it did.

Thinner, and noticeably lighter for one. Partially due to using aluminum this go around and getting rid of the stupid glass back. The change to superior materials/construction alone was/is a nice improvement.

You'd got the larger display. No, it wasn't a huge increase in resolution like the S4, but it's a top-notch fully calibrated IPS display. In terms of physical screen dimensions the iPhone 5 gained more in physical size then the S3->S4 transition.

LTE. Not really something 'new' when the iPhone 5 came out, but the 4s didn't have it. Further, the radio used in the iPhone 5 was the first of the gen 2 LTE radio's which allowed the iPhone 5 to be one of the first on the market to do LTE without a massive hit in battery life.

And of course the A6.

The iPhone 5 was a larger jump from the 4s then people would like to admit. A quick glance at either phone doesn't really tell one that though. It generally doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

This is why i'm dumbfounded at these people claiming the 4s->5 or now the S3->S4 is hardly any upgrade. It's just a wrong statement. Both are fairly subtantial upgrades. If we are talking just about cell technology the 5 alone was a huge improvement given the fact that it gave the iPhone's LTE.

Fair enough, I guess. They both received considerable upgrades, so at the very least, I wouldn't say that either phone was closer to their predecessor than the other, they're about the same in terms of improvements. When you mentioned the iPhone 5 gaining more in physical size than the S3-> S4 though, of course it did since the 4S was way undersized in the first place and the S3 is pretty much at the max size anyone wants in a phone, so it was an improvement for both phones since they both got closer to a more comfortable form factor.
 
You do understand that replacing the battery on the iPhone's only requires the extra step of removing screws, correct? Further, your 'typical' user doesn't worry about this because if the battery becomes an issue they can easily walk into an Apple store and get it replaced anyways.

Also, it's common knowledge the iPhones have higher resale value then any of the phones running Android. Battery replaced or not.

It is foolish to beleive Samsung is gaining marketshare because of an easily swapped battery. Some users appreciate this fact. This did not account for anywhere near 10% of the 40 million S3 sales though. I can soundly state that opinion using only a small amount of perception to the situation.

You do realize that replacing the battery yourself voids your warranty, and that apple only covers the battery for 1 year. If what you say is so easy and true then why do I know so amazingly many people with 1.5 year old iPhones who have them with short to dead batteries are and waiting around for their contract to expire before they replace their phone?

You can soundly start an opinion, good one. Like I said I don't know if its 1%, 10% or 50% but I do know well that I and others make decisions based on this and that in turn becomes a feedback mechanism when people see I have a particular phone and want it. And every sale they make is a slam dunk easy sale since few others are offering that as an option.
 
btw, I'm extremely giddy about 2gb's of LPDDR3, two phones with this memory so far, when the Tegra4 (if ever) makes it to phones that's 3 SoC's so far that uses the much faster memory.
 
Back
Top