Galaxy S4 help.....

magoo

[H]F Junkie
My wife and I both have S4 phones.
Mine is Verizon and hers is ATT.
Her screen cracked yesterday and it completely FUBAR'd the phone. Screen is worthless.
She replaced it with an S7.
She had the S4 password protected and due to the screen being toast we can't get into the data.

She never backed it up.

It has a SIM card.

Would it be possible to put her SIM in my phone and load out the data to my PC ?
Her SIM should have all her data on it.
Otherwise it's done.

Her contact data should be saved to her Google account. (That is the easiest way to transfer contacts etc)

Actual storage data is kept on the phone memory, not the sim card. Any pictures, apps, app settings etc will not be recoverable if the phone is password protected. If it was not, you could power it on and connect a USB cable, and access the files.

The sim card only saves subscriber data and LTE information.

You might be able to use something like this adapter that'll let you hook up the phone to a mouse and HDMI display. That'll let you put the passcode into the phone via the mouse while looking at the screen. Then use Google's cloud backup service to back up the stuff you want to keep.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You might be able to use something like this adapter that'll let you hook up the phone to a mouse and HDMI display. That'll let you put the passcode into the phone via the mouse while looking at the screen. Then use Google's cloud backup service to back up the stuff you want to keep.

That looks pretty slick.

I'm going to give it a shot, hell if it fails, I'm out 10 bucks......

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How comfortable are you with tearing into a smartphone? If the adapter mentioned above didn't work, you could temporarily plug your phone's display into your wife's old phone to retrieve her data.

I ran into something similar with (2) S4's (one screen didn't work, the other did), and here is what I did to extract data from the "bad" phone...
  • This is a YouTube video that shows how to disassemble an S4 (both phones will require these steps)
    • At 2:42, the gentleman shows where to disconnect the display from the rest of the phone
      • After unplugging the display connector STOP THE VIDEO (no further steps needed!)
    • This is where the display connector from "good" phone 1 is plugged into the motherboard of "bad" phone 2
    • To make this connection, the phones need to be oriented such that "bad" phone 2 is screen down, and "good" phone 1 is screen up
    • It should look something like this ("bad" phone 2 on left, "good" phone 1 on right, display connector circled in red):
  • Afterward, insert the battery of phone 2 and boot it up
    • Boot splash logo should appear on the screen of phone 1
    • Remember that the "good" display is on phone 1, and that the capacitive / home buttons from "bad" phone 2 will be needed for use
    • Plug in microUSB cable into phone 2, connect to computer, and obtain the needed data from phone 2
  • Disconnect phones and reassemble them (don't forget to plug in display connectors!)

Even though one phone is CDMA and the other is GSM, I believe both screens use the same display connectors, and so these steps should still work. If you try this, proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: magoo
like this
Back