• Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 98 89.9%
  • HTC rezound

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Which phone would you get and why?

Im going back and forth about which phone to get when they come out.

I like the Nexus because its thinner than the rezound (8.9mm vs 13mm) and it has ICS, but Im still not sure about the camera (5mp, but may have a good sensor) and older GPU (SGX540 @ 384mhz)

I like the HTC since it has a 1.5ghz dual core qualcomm (but I think it benchmarks very close to the OMAP4460 1.2ghz in the nexus), the 8mp camera with f/2.2 lense and supposedly better GPU (Adreno 220), and 720p screen. Its also only launching with Gingerbread with HTC promising ICS a few months later.

Nexus. Only HTC phone I'd consider is the Edge, but its release date is even murkier than the NG's.

Depends, to be honest you can typically only count on one major OS update on most handsets, the Nexus might buy you a third, so do you want to start one behind with the rezound?

I honestly don't care about the camera's, you can carry a Nikon that is half the size of these phones that does 14MP better than a phone ever will if you NEED a camera...

Personally the TI OMAP phones have always seemed smoother to me, and I've been able to overclock them as high as double stock speeds, so for the modder the nod again goes to the Nexus...

Plus the Nexus is a world phone and runs CDMA, GSM, LTE, and HSDPA+ so I might just buy one unlocked for that reason alone. Use whatever prepaid is cheapest on 4G data...

IB4 Chui's Rezound vote, hah :p.

Not sure where where you've seen the Adreno 220 beat any other mobile GPU. It's pretty much the weakest in the market at the moment and it's driving a 720p display on top of that, so performance is going to be mediocre at best in anything graphically intensive.

It's a pretty fat phone with a smallish battery (typical of HTC phones this year), so I'll bet battery life is abysmal.

Beats is a gimmick. You can achieve the same effect or better with any DSP software on any phone.

CPU will be about the same or worse in most real world and benchmark tests compared to an OMAP 44x0 based phone at 1.2+ GHz.

Camera is the only thing we don't know about right now. Will have to wait until they're both out to compare. I doubt one is substantially better than the other though in terms of IQ, but you at least have zero shutter lag on the Nexus which is a huge perk in itself.

Display on the Nexus will probably be just as good if not better. If you're concerned about the pentile Super AMOLED display, you shouldn't be.

I hate to make the Rezound sound like a bad phone, because it's not. It's just unfortunate that two slightly better phones (IMO - in terms of specs and/or design) are launching around the same time as it. The fact that they're still trying to put a sense skin on ICS kills it for me too.

Last edited:
Nexus all the way because Sense is going to infect ICS and there's no guarantee there will be a way to achieve S-OFF on the Rezound.

I personally don't mind htc sense, i think it's an actual improvement from the boring UI but thats just me. Though if they slap sense 3.0 or sense 3.5 on ICS, that's a serious no-no and i wouldn't expect them to. We'll all just have to wait and see whether the new sense would enhance the UI or just cover up all of ICS's improvements. +1 vote on G-Nexus.

Nexus. ICS and its a google phone (quicker updates).

Whichever has the better camera most likely. The RAZR's camera is apparently pretty lackluster.

Very cool phone. Were it not for the locked bootloader, I'd probably get it, too.

I don't mess around with that stuff all that much. The most I'll do is root it to put on some of the cooler apps. Although really, I haven't had my X rooted in a while and I haven't missed it. I just want the thin profile and tougher exterior so it will hold up. My X has held up very well and I'm hoping the Razr will be just as durable.

I've been waiting on the Nexus for awhile now but it is underwhelming to me. The Rezound and even the Razr seem intriguing. My girl is due for an upgrade. She doesn't care about rooting or ROM's or anything like that so we'll get here one of these three newbies. Frankly, I'm still doing quite well with my SGS and might just read that out another six months till the quads are here. I still don't live in an LTE zone and we won't get it for at least six months based on our towns population so my rush isn't extreme.
Bottom line I'll have to play with each device in hand in store before passing judgement.

Is anyone even going to question Verizon why they haven't announced the release date for the Galaxy Nexus from the current poll result?

20 and 0.

Is anyone even going to question Verizon why they haven't announced the release date for the Galaxy Nexus from the current poll result?

20 and 0.
Lots of people have raised that question, very loudly in some cases, throughout the Mobile Phones forum. Has it produced an answer? Will asking it again make the slightest difference?

20 and 0.

Lots of people have raised that question, very loudly in some cases, throughout the Mobile Phones forum. Has it produced an answer? Will asking it again make the slightest difference?

Indeed. I think the most obvious answer though is that they need to promote/sell the RAZR and Rezound as much as they can before the Nexus debuts. It's smart marketing by them so people that aren't keeping up in the news of what's around the corner will be wow'd into buying the RAZR launching tomorrow and the Rezound launching next week. To a normal consumer, the fact that the Nexus has a major OS revision exclusive to it is enticing enough on its own for people to hold out another week or two for an even better phone (in their eyes - we all know that's subjective).

You could argue that Verizon shouldn't care as to which phone they buy. But they have to be conscious of their relationship with HTC and Motorola. They shouldn't be promoting a phone due out in a couple weeks over a phone due out this week and another one soon after that. I don't think HTC/Moto would appreciate that. It's an awkward situation for Verizon to be having three different flagship phones launching within a couple weeks of each other. So they have to spread out the promo periods as much as they can.

I am quite disappointed with the shitty spec of Samsung Galaxy Nexus: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Ghz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it). I would have got a Samsung Galaxy S2 two months ago if I knew what I have been waiting for is a piece of XXXX.

HTC Rezound (a.k.a. HTC vigor or ThunderBolt 2) will have a 720p HD display (non PenTile), Beats Audio headphone, 8M pixels camera with extraordinary low light performance, 1.5 Mhz CPU, and much more. It seems no other phones in the near future can beat this phone in terms of the features.

But the size and battery can be better.

Last edited:
I am quite disappointed with the shitty spec of Samsung Galaxy Nexus: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Mhz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it). I would have got a Samsung Galaxy S2 two months ago if I knew what I have been waiting for is a piece of XXXX.

HTC Rezound (a.k.a. HTC vigor or ThunderBolt 2) will have a 720p HD display (non PenTile), Beats Audio headphone, 8M pixels camera with extraordinary low light performance, 1.5 Mhz CPU, and much more. It seems no other phones in the near future can beat this phone in terms of the features.

The CPU in the GN is actually designed to run at 1.5 Ghz. Samsung has it running underclocked at 1.2 Ghz. I would imagine this is due to there likely being very little real-world performance difference between the two, and Samsung slowed it down a bit to help battery life. If you're into rooting, you'll be able to set the CPU to 1.5 Ghz the moment you get the phone and not have to worry about much. I'm sure there will also be some custom kernals running near 2.0 Ghz before long. You also have to consider the fact that the OMAP in the Nexus is faster clock for clock than the Snapdragon in the Rezound, so you cannot simply use Ghz as a measure.

I am quite disappointed with the shitty spec of Samsung Galaxy Nexus: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Mhz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it). I would have got a Samsung Galaxy S2 two months ago if I knew what I have been waiting for is a piece of XXXX.

Lol, I called it..

IB4 Chui's Rezound vote, hah :p.

So far you're the 1 out of 23 voters. I think that says something to your ignorance about hardware specs. Also, stop saying MHz. That's at least the second time you've said MHz instead of GHz and I think it's an indication of your ability to judge these things coherently. Please read my original post that I made as a preemptive response to your post. It will be interesting to see how you refute any of what I said, esp. in that first link about the pentile display. Here's a nice quote at the end in the conclusion:

To wrap it up we'd say that the fears about PenTile appear hugely overblown when it comes to the new HD Super AMOLED technology, which delivers higher pixel density.

And how did you obtain pics from the Rezounds Camera to know that it has "extraordinary low light performance"? I must have missed that leak..

The CPU in the GN is actually designed to run at 1.5 Ghz. Samsung has it running underclocked at 1.2 Ghz. I would imagine this is due to there likely being very little real-world performance difference between the two, and Samsung slowed it down a bit to help battery life. If you're into rooting, you'll be able to set the CPU to 1.5 Ghz the moment you get the phone and not have to worry about much. I'm sure there will also be some custom kernals running near 2.0 Ghz before long. You also have to consider the fact that the OMAP in the Nexus is faster clock for clock than the Snapdragon in the Rezound, so you cannot simply use Ghz as a measure.

This has been explained to him several times in his Rezound thread. He simply refuses to believe that a CPU that runs at a slower clock speed can be faster than a CPU that runs at a faster clock speed, not matter how much evidence you show him about it (as you can see in that thread). He will simply ask more more proof and ignore what proof you give him in order to claim ignorance. Along with that, he will refuse to bring his own evidence to the table to back up what he claims about the phone and its internals.

Last edited:
Forget it. It's great to have one nay vote! The Galaxy Nexus ain't George Washington!

Lol, I called it..

So far you're the 1 out of 23 voters. I think that says something to your ignorance about phone specs. Also, stop saying MHz. That's at least the second time you've said MHz instead of GHz and I think it's an indication of your ability to judge these things coherently. Please read my original post that I made as a preemptive response to your post. It will be interesting to see how you refute any of what I said, esp. in that first link about the pentile display. Here's a nice quote at the end in the conclusion:

And how did you obtain pics from the Rezounds Camera to know that it has "extraordinary low light performance"? I must have missed that leak..

T4rd, its not worth the trouble. This coming from the same guy that claims the G-Nex was a "banana".

The rezound's specs i feel aren't that great considering im overclocked past 1.5GHz on my Evo 3D which uses the MSM8660 and adreno 220 as well. For anyone else worried about the screen here's android centrals review on the pentile screen used in the G-Nex. http://www.androidcentral.com/close-and-personal-hd-super-amoled. Those pics are from the galaxy note which has 277 dpi whereas the G-Nex should have 316dpi, making it look even better.

T4rd, its not worth the trouble. This coming from the same guy that claims the G-Nex was a "banana".

Lol, I know. Sometimes I just can't help but take the bait and turn into this guy:

duty_calls.png

The funny thing is; that he still believes it's a "banana" :D. Lolz

Camera on the Nexus will probably be much better overall and so will the battery life. Megapixel's arent the only thing that matters. & HTC battery life is notoriously bad.

Plus that 4.65" screen will be sweet.

This has been explained to him several times in his Rezound thread. He simply refuses to believe that a CPU that runs at a slower clock speed can be faster than a CPU that runs at a faster clock speed, not matter how much evidence you show him about it (as you can see in that thread). He will simply ask more more proof and ignore what proof you give him in order to claim ignorance. Along with that, he will refuse to bring his own evidence to the table to back up what he claims about the phone and its internals.

Well, I have already told you that the 1.5Ghz CPU on HTC Rezound is faster than the 1.2Ghz on Samsung Galaxy S2 on that thread. Here is the benchmark I posted on that thread : http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-benchmarks-t-mobile-vs-att-20111007/#entrycontent

T4rd, I am surprised to find that you come to this thread to continue to disseminate false information. Please stop this behavior.

Beats is a gimmick. You can achieve the same effect or better with any DSP software on any phone.

I have to say this feature is absolutely important if you seriously use your phone as a music player. The hardware/software combo offers much richer sound than existing phones on the market. The headphone included is one of the high-end ones.

Camera is the only thing we don't know about right now. Will have to wait until they're both out to compare. I doubt one is substantially better than the other though in terms of IQ, but you at least have zero shutter lag on the Nexus which is a huge perk in itself.

HTC Rezound camera has a larger len and I expect it will perform much better than any existing smartphones in low light conditions.

Display on the Nexus will probably be just as good if not better. If you're concerned about the pentile Super AMOLED display, you shouldn't be.

The problem is that Galaxy Nexus advertised their display as 720p HD, but actually it is done by cheating---several adjacent pixels share the same subpixels. Because of that the edges of words are not as sharp as one would expect on SLCD.

Yeah, if color contrast is extremely important for you, then AMOLED is the display of your choice. But existing AMOLED screens tend to oversaturate a little bit especially the red color. In contrast, LCD screen (e.g., the iPhone screen) should offer you more natural colors. There are a lot of studies to compare the iPhone screen with Galaxy S2's screen on the Internet. Please read some of them to get the idea.

I hate to make the Rezound sound like a bad phone, because it's not. It's just unfortunate that two slightly better phones (IMO - in terms of specs and/or design) are launching around the same time as it.

Well, HTC Rezound has quite a few features that no other smartphones in this season can compete. The Beat audio is one thing. The other thing is its larger-than-average camera len, which will performs better in low light conditions. The *true* HD display is, of course, the main selling point.

Therefore, I strongly believe HTC Rezound is much better than Galaxy Nexus in terms of video, audio and camera performance. I am waiting for the real-world review to confirm that though.

Well, I have already told you that the 1.5Ghz CPU on HTC Rezound is faster than the 1.2Ghz on Samsung Galaxy S2 on that thread. Here is the benchmark I posted on that thread : http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-benchmarks-t-mobile-vs-att-20111007/#entrycontent

T4rd, I am surprised to find that you come to this thread to continue to disseminate false information. Please stop this behavior.

LOL, didn't I tell you the same thing in your thread? I guess you missed the part in that article you just linked to where the Amaze (with the exact same hardware) scored about 1000 points lower than the T-Mobile GS2? Then the article goes on to explain why.. here, let me quote it for you:

your own article said:
Clearly the HTC Amaze 4G with the same processor is severely lacking in regards to this benchmark. We could blame HTC, HTC Sense UI, or we could simply chalk this up to Samsung produces some excellent hardware and they tweak the OS to support the hardware at the same time. I’m not calling out HTC here, as Samsung has always performed very well in Quadrant results, but this just seems pretty crazy if you ask me. Could Sense UI cause benchmarks to suffer, although it makes the user interface smooth and clean, it’s a real possibility here.

This could also be because the EXT4 filesystem Samsung uses on their smartphones, if you look at the I/O performance, this is truly where Samsung shines and is able to squeeze out all that performance. Samsung scores 8400 while HTC scores 2900, as far as input and output performance Samsung clearly has an advantage here.

I'm afraid that renders your argument null and void as the Samsung only benched that much higher because of the I/O portion of the benchmark, not because of the CPU/GPU portion. Find an HTC phone that has similar hardware as the Rezound (such as the Amaze or Evo 3D) that benches anywhere near the GS2 or RAZR in any specific CPU/GPU performance test. Quadrant is the summation of several different benches all consolidated into one score.

Chiu, I am surprised to find that you come to this thread to continue to disseminate false information. Please stop this behavior. Lolz I guess we're all wrong and you're right, though, eh?

I have to say this feature is absolutely important if you seriously use your phone as a music player. The hardware/software combo offers much richer sound than existing phones on the market. The headphone included is one of the high-end ones.

It's not important. Read my post again. Any DSP Manager will do a better job. It's all software, not hardware. Also the headphones are average at best. You can get a comparable/better pair for $30-$40 and you'll already have a pair if audio means anything to you.

HTC Rezound camera has a larger len and I expect it will perform much better than any existing smartphones in low light conditions.

What size is the lens? What size is the G-Nex's lens? I haven't seen any specs released on the phones cameras outside of their MP count which is next to useless for determining their IQ. Do you even know what makes a camera better than another (it's not MPs and lens size). The pics out from the Nexus look amazing to me. Where are these pics you're talking about from the Rezound that show off its amazing low light ability?

The problem is that Galaxy Nexus advertised their display as 720p HD, but actually it is done by cheating---several adjacent pixels share the same subpixels. Because of that the edges of words are not as sharp as one would expect on SLCD.

Here's a classic example of that ignorance I was speaking about above. You didn't even acknowledge the links about the displays that Ondestinazn2 and I posted (in your quote). Please STFU about this.

Yeah, if color contrast is extremely important for you, then AMOLED is the display of your choice. But existing AMOLED screens tend to oversaturate a little bit especially the red color. In contrast, LCD screen (e.g., the iPhone screen) should offer you more natural colors. There are a lot of studies to compare the iPhone screen with Galaxy S2's screen on the Internet. Please read some of them to get the idea.

I have an idea. Yes, SLCDs have more accurate colors along with less brighness/contrast and more power usage. Not much of a trade off there.

Well, HTC Rezound has quite a few features that no other smartphones in this season can compete. The Beat audio is one thing. The other thing is its larger-than-average camera len, which will performs better in low light conditions. The *true* HD display is, of course, the main selling point.

All of this has been beat to death now. I'm not trying to change your mind anymore, I'm just keeping you from spreading FUD.

Therefore, I strongly believe HTC Rezound is much better than Galaxy Nexus in terms of video, audio and camera performance. I am waiting for the real-world review to confirm that though.

Good for you, but keep that to yourself now since you can't intelligently speak about these phones enough for your opinion to matter on this forum. The rest of the thread and poll speaks for itself, I think. ;)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, that made me laugh.

Going by this, yet more monster cable marketing bull and nothing else.

Get some Koss KSC75 ($15) and some EQ program (free~$5 or so; if you must EQ): you'll get better sound then any Beats gimmick on any phone you like.

In defense of the Rezound, the stated specs for the lens are f2.2 and 24mm, while if the Nexus uses similar optics to the 5mp backlit CCD from the i4s (which seems to share the exact same specs based on rumors/leaks/friendofafriend) is f2.8 @ 28mm.

LOL, didn't I tell you the same thing in your thread? I guess you missed the part in that article you just linked to where the Amaze (with the exact same hardware) scored about 1000 points lower than the T-Mobile GS2? Then the article goes on to explain why.. here, let me quote it for you:

As I said on the other thread, my benchmark is a *better* comparison of CPU performance than yours, because my benchmark compares the two CPUs on the same cellphone, namely Samsung Galaxy S2, thus the rest of the systems remains the same in the tests. My benchmark is a direct comparison of the CPU performance and it clearly shows that the CPU used on HTC Rezound is better than the CPU used on Galaxy Nexus.

I'm afraid that renders your argument null and void as the Samsung only benched that much higher because of the I/O portion of the benchmark, not because of the CPU/GPU portion. Find an HTC phone that has similar hardware as the Rezound (such as the Amaze or Evo 3D) that benches anywhere near the GS2 or RAZR in any specific CPU/GPU performance test. Quadrant is the summation of several different benches all consolidated into one score.

Not every application are I/O-bounded; for those applications are CPU intensive, the CPU performance is the most important factor. And we have yet to see the I/O performance on HTC Rezound.

Quite a few people do not trust Quadrant as a benchmark because it is biased.

Chiu, I am surprised to find that you come to this thread to continue to disseminate false information. Please stop this behavior. Lolz I guess we're all wrong and you're right, though, eh?

Yes, you are disseminating false information. You should have STFU.

It's not important. Read my post again. Any DSP Manager will do a better job. It's all software, not hardware. Also the headphones are average at best. You can get a comparable/better pair for $30-$40 and you'll already have a pair if audio means anything to you.

It is entirely bullshit. Yeah, you can always hack into system and tune it to take the sound as great as possible. But do you know how difficult it is to use the sound equalizer? Do you think a general user would spend a day to use an equalizer to tune every song? Beat audio system will automatically tune it for you, and it is why it rocks.

The headphone is the same as the one that is sold for $150-$200 separately (link). This headphone have received so many great reviews and it nowhere equals to the cheap headphone you mentioned. So please stop disseminate false information.

What size is the lens? What size is the G-Nex's lens? I haven't seen any specs released on the phones cameras outside of their MP count which is next to useless for determining their IQ. Do you even know what makes a camera better than another (it's not MPs and lens size). The pics out from the Nexus look amazing to me. Where are these pics you're talking about from the Rezound that show off its amazing low light ability?

misan-thrope have answered your question. Please read.

Here's a classic example of that ignorance I was speaking about above. You didn't even acknowledge the links about the displays that Ondestinazn2 and I posted (in your quote). Please STFU about this.

The black and white photos cannot be used to show the color inaccuracy issue on Galaxy Nexus. Likewise, red/yellow wallpaper is too fuzzy to check the color inaccuracy. You need a photo will a human face to see that.

I do see the blur edges of the characters on the pictures. But the photos don't do justice because it shows only ultra-large fonts on a webpage---the blur edges are not obvious on such large characters. Even so, I can still see the blur edges so you can imagine how it looks if the fonts are smaller. By contrast, the edges on a HD SLCD screen is as shape as blades; you will see how important the shapeness is when you look at those webpages with small fonts.

I have an idea. Yes, SLCDs have more accurate colors along with less brighness/contrast and more power usage. Not much of a trade off there.

Of course. Samsung have sacrificed color accuracy in order to boost the screen contrast. That's why Apple does not follow the suit.

In my opinion, the color contrast on SLCD are good enough. What is more important for me is the face of people on my photos are not too red.

All of this has been beat to death now. I'm not trying to change your mind anymore, I'm just keeping you from spreading FUD.

How so?

Good for you, but keep that to yourself now since you can't intelligently speak about these phones enough for your opinion to matter on this forum. The rest of the thread and poll speaks for itself, I think. ;)

I can't stop people from choosing Galaxy Nexus. After all, it is a "Google" phone and the first ICS phone thus it got all the limelight. But honestly, the hardware spec of HTC Rezound is so much better than Galaxy Nexus. Since many other Android phones including HTC Rezound will get ICS in a few months, I think people who buy Galaxy Nexus for ICS are stupid.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, that made me laugh.

Going by this, yet more monster cable marketing bull and nothing else.

Get some Koss KSC75 ($15) and some EQ program (free~$5 or so; if you must EQ): you'll get better sound then any Beats gimmick on any phone you like.

Are you tone deaf? You are kidding yourself if you think Koss can make a product that comes anywhere close to Beats by Dre. :eek:

On the software side of things, Beats is good but not a reason to buy the phone.

After owning two recent Samsung phones and now HTC, I'll stick with HTC for awhile.

Are you always using this youtube video when you are running out of arguments or defected in a debate?

There was no debate here, just me (and everyone else) keeping you posting so we could see what other BS you can come up with. Now that you're in loop mode saying the same things repeatedly, you can just see my first two posts for your reply since you never coherently addressed them in the first place.

No, that youtube vid was a special post just for you... because you're certainly special ;).

44 vs 4, lolz.

Snapdragon is not OMAP!

OMAP in the TMo Galaxy S2 is great. Snapdragon on the Rezound is the worst of current generation dual-cores.

Get your facts straight!

Back