Galaxy GTX 480 @ Tiger - $429! (after $30 MIR)

FYI.. Perhaps this is common knowledge but I just found this out recently. I live in Raleigh, North Carolina where there is an old TigerDirect building that is now CompUSA, so I have to pay state sales tax on purchases. I knew that TigerDirect, CompUSA and CircuitCity are owned by the same people and seem to all have the same deals on their websites. So I assumed that since I paid sales tax on anything from TigerDirect.com or CompUSA.com, I also paid sales tax on CircuitCity.com purchases, especially since there are still abandoned Circuit City buildings around Raleigh.. but I was wrong. Circuit City only charges sales tax in two states, instead of the 5 (plus Puerto Rico) of TD/CompUSA. So if you see a great TigerDirect/CompuUSA deal but are charged sales tax, try going to CircuitCity.com for the same deal.

TigerDirect/CompUSA stores
FLORIDA
DELAWARE
ILLINOIS
NORTH CAROLINA
TEXAS
PUERTO RICO

Circuit City stores
FLORIDA
ILLINOIS

Still not as good as that evga gtx 480 deal for $366, which is what i HAD to act on

FYI.. Perhaps this is common knowledge but I just found this out recently. I live in Raleigh, North Carolina where there is an old TigerDirect building that is now CompUSA, so I have to pay state sales tax on purchases. I knew that TigerDirect, CompUSA and CircuitCity are owned by the same people and seem to all have the same deals on their websites. So I assumed that since I paid sales tax on anything from TigerDirect.com or CompUSA.com, I also paid sales tax on CircuitCity.com purchases, especially since there are still abandoned Circuit City buildings around Raleigh.. but I was wrong. Circuit City only charges sales tax in two states, instead of the 5 (plus Puerto Rico) of TD/CompUSA. So if you see a great TigerDirect/CompuUSA deal but are charged sales tax, try going to CircuitCity.com for the same deal.

FLORIDA
DELAWARE
ILLINOIS
NORTH CAROLINA
TEXAS
PUERTO RICO

Circuit City stores
FLORIDA
ILLINOIS

You forgot Georgia, I get hit w/ a 7% tax every time I buy from TD :(

The item show is the G458-480. There is also the G458-480 SC part that is the same graphic card but also includes the Star Craft II trial if anyone was interested in that. Comes out to the exact same price so if one is sold out, the other SKU may be available. Anyways, a heads up. (Hopefully I have enough posts that this one will stay in [H]otDeals).

FLORIDA
DELAWARE
ILLINOIS
NORTH CAROLINA
TEXAS
PUERTO RICO

Circuit City stores
FLORIDA
ILLINOIS

Wow, f'ing fantastic tip. I live in Texas and this will save me significant $$ in the future. In fact, I stopped reading the TigerDirect deals because tax always wiped out the savings ... now I'll have to take a closer look.

Muchas gracias.

You forgot Georgia, I get hit w/ a 7% tax every time I buy from TD

You are correct!! Sorry for my misinformation as I just listed the states where a TD/CompUSA store was located using this webpage http://www.tigerdirect.com/retailstores/compusastores/index.asp - Georgia isn't listed but when I simulated a TD purchase and it asked for my zip code, this showed up..

(We only charge tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID)

South Dakota and Idaho now show up. Delaware doesn't charge sales tax.

I did the same cart checkout procedure over at CompUSA.com and CircuitCity.com but after inputting a zip code, neither listed what states they charged sales tax. I did input a Georgia zip code in both sites and CompUSA did charge sales tax but CircuitCity didn't. So hopefully the main point of my original post still remains true.. if you see a deal on TigerDirect/CompUSA, also check out CircuitCity to avoid sales tax.

Wow, f'ing fantastic tip. I live in Texas and this will save me significant $$ in the future. In fact, I stopped reading the TigerDirect deals because tax always wiped out the savings ... now I'll have to take a closer look.

Muchas gracias.

Glad I could post something useful to others. Like yourself, I usually glossed over any TD/CompUSA deals because of the sales tax issue. And knowing that NC had Circuit City stores until they closed, I didn't think to ever try going to that site to avoid sales taxes. I also kind of swore off CompUSA as they changed the old Tiger Direct store a lot!! Going to that old store was like visiting a junk yard or your uncles/grandpa's basement.. there were just tons of old & new stuff out everywhere to pick up and look at. There were usually like 20 motherboards out on display to check out but once they changed the name from TD to CompUSA, all that changed. No more motherboards out on display and the entire feeling of the store seemed more corporate, so I stopped going over there. I never thought TD had any great deals, not anything like Fry's or Micro Center but sometimes they had something priced a little better than NewEgg,

Man, I didn't know about this tax issue because when I got my launch pair of GTX 480 at Tigerdirect, I wasn't charged tax. When I thought about it though, I remembered that there was a Compusa that reopened near me not too long ago. It's a shit store where everything costs twice as much as it is worth so I'd never shop there other than the one time I dropped in to verify that they do indeed suck, but now I just checked and saw that Tigerdirect is charging tax on my orders.

Way to permanently lose a customer. I've dropped $1500 on video cards there in the past year, but will never shop there again due to the tax. There's no way for them to compete with Newegg now. It was a poor business decision to compromise a moderately successful online operation to take on a brick and mortar model that already failed once in a better economy.

Man, I didn't know about this tax issue because when I got my launch pair of GTX 480 at Tigerdirect, I wasn't charged tax. When I thought about it though, I remembered that there was a Compusa that reopened near me not too long ago. It's a shit store where everything costs twice as much as it is worth so I'd never shop there other than the one time I dropped in to verify that they do indeed suck, but now I just checked and saw that Tigerdirect is charging tax on my orders.

Way to permanently lose a customer. I've dropped $1500 on video cards there in the past year, but will never shop there again due to the tax. There's no way for them to compete with Newegg now. It was a poor business decision to compromise a moderately successful online operation to take on a brick and mortar model that already failed once in a better economy.

It doesn't matter, trust me. I am sure there are customers saying the same thing about newegg elsewhere and who buy at tigerdirect because newegg charges them and me tax. My experience with tigerdirect has been nothing but spectacular. My order fricking ships superfast and their two day shipping is pretty cheap on graphic cards. I ordered the gtx 480 and I upgraded to 2 day shipping for 12 bucks since it takes almost a week for anything I order from them to get here.

I know the our Galaxy GTX 460 kicks ass but if you need 480 cores of CUDA goodness, the Galaxy GTX 480 is a sweet deal at Tiger right now. $499.99, $40 Instant and $30MIR for a net cost of $429.99!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=6589104&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs
two 810mhz 460GTX 1gb cards at 470 AR is still looking like a better deal. Unless you HAVE to play crysis on very high at 4mp (sli 480s)

galaxy seems to be trying to make a name for themselves. I like the new fan design.

or get a gtx 480 at $100 less (read above) and be able to pop in another later. don't get the wet-dreams over 460sli when the 480 has such a deal going.

or get a gtx 480 at $100 less (read above) and be able to pop in another later. don't get the wet-dreams over 460sli when the 480 has such a deal going.
True, GTX 480 for anything close to 400 is a steal. I hate sli or crossfire and like to stick with single highend card. Plus from what I have seen almost all gtx 480's overclock to 800 on the core without any voltage tweaks or anything.

?

let see better card, good scaling, cost just a little more then the single 480, nope don't see that as a wet dream at all.

?

let see better card, good scaling, cost just a little more then the single 480, nope don't see that as a wet dream at all.[/QUOT]

You are right it does cost a little more then this deal. Plus You can now compare a single highend card to a dual card setup. I have used crossfire adn SLi in the past It is just not as smooth as a single card game play.

A higher end single card almost always has better minimum frames, which creates a smoother sense of game play. I have also used both sli & crossfire, most recently two hd5770 & they were actually faster than my current gtx470, but the 470 has higher min. frames & feels smoother.

There is a MSI GTX 480 on sale right now on Newegg for 419 shipped after 30 dollar mail in rebate with 50 dollar instant rebate. Ends today.

FLORIDA
DELAWARE
ILLINOIS
NORTH CAROLINA
TEXAS
PUERTO RICO

Circuit City stores
FLORIDA
ILLINOIS

Thank you. I'm in Durham so same problem. Worth clicking on this thread just for the tip.

I bit when it was a TD 3 day special, but the price on this is now actually lower than listed in the thread title:

List Price:$499.99
Instant Savings:- $60.00
Less Rebate:- $30.00
Price:$409.99*

throw in 4% cashback from mrrebates.com and 2% on a good reward credit card

Back