GALAXY GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3GB Video Card Review

Quick turnaround on the replacement?
And how!

I'm usually miffed whenever I have to wait for an RMA on a product I just bought, but this time, I got it shipped to me in about 3 days after I e-mailed my serial no., Advanced replacement, too. I even got to try SLI since I had two cards briefly (which was meh - didn't have time to play with all the settings to make everything work).

Of course, YMMV, but at least in my experience, I say Galaxy does things proper when it comes to warranty service, and if they don't, get the rep we have on the forums on the phone and he'll make things right.

And how!

I'm usually miffed whenever I have to wait for an RMA on a product I just bought, but this time, I got it shipped to me in about 3 days after I e-mailed my serial no., Advanced replacement, too. I even got to try SLI since I had two cards briefly (which was meh - didn't have time to play with all the settings to make everything work).

Of course, YMMV, but at least in my experience, I say Galaxy does things proper when it comes to warranty service, and if they don't, get the rep we have on the forums on the phone and he'll make things right.

Man, whatever they pay him to be here, they are getting their money's worth. Just think how much more effective an example like this is than an ad on a (web)page. I know it puts Galaxy on my radar.

Nice to know they do advance replacement for RMAs, seems like almost no one does anymore. Will definitely put Galaxy on my short list of companies whose card I'd pay a couple bucks more for.

I'll consider Galaxy going forward, but the thing stopping me is that they don't have an RMA depot in Canada. When they open one here, I'm all over their products based on their great customer service.

Hmm, it's just a couple LEDs shining through a "cutout". This is like putting a sticker on a motorcycle to increase horsepower. LuLz

Just bought my single card, had to spend the other funds on a brand new Overlord 2560 x 1440p monitor lol. Ill get the second 660ti when i get my new house here in Germany.

Hmm, it's just a couple LEDs shining through a "cutout". This is like putting a sticker on a motorcycle to increase horsepower. LuLz

Meh--all I had to do to convert my Schwinn Stingray into a Harley was clip a playing card to the front fork with a clothes pin!

I wish I could get one of these here in Norway - they got sold out in a few days' period (KFA2)...

Thanks for the picture man. I've been debating for the last couple of weeks whether or not to get the 660 ti GC or a 670 4gb. I play at 1680 and I'm still using a gtx260!

Thanks for the picture man. I've been debating for the last couple of weeks whether or not to get the 660 ti GC or a 670 4gb. I play at 1680 and I'm still using a gtx260!
why on earth would you get a 660ti 3gb or 670 4gb for that low res? that's a waste of money. just go with a gtx660ti 2gb or gtx670 2gb. I sure hope the rest of your system is not as old as the gtx260 as it could be a huge bottleneck for these cards.

Meh--all I had to do to convert my Schwinn Stingray into a Harley was clip a playing card to the front fork with a clothes pin!
Those were the days.
GTX 690 if you need to use up a couple paychecks.

Last edited:

Yea for the most part I agree with the other guys except for one thing. Like you, I used to have a low res monitor. Lower in fact, only 1440x900. I bought the 5850 which at the time, was considered overkill for the res I was at. My reasoning was that it would future proof my setup very well. Which it did, even 3 years later I could play BF3 max settings with 4x AA np at 50-60 FPS. The one thing though is that eventually I wanted a 1080p monitor, which once I got, drastically decreased performance. So my point is, if your absolutely sure your going to stay with that res, def only get a 2Gb card. If you plan on upgrading your monitor though, prob go with something higher end. for 40 bucks more and a whole GB more of VRAM, the 3GB Galaxy card is awesome.

Also, I'm guessing the full res is 1680x1050? That is not drastically smaller than 1080p so even still a 3 GB 660Ti might be worth it. Big maybe on that though. Highest my VRAM usage has gone is 2.2Gb. That's on Skyrim with the HD Skyrim mod pack that adds huge textures.

My rig is extreme, don't worry about bottlenecks. I just have an old video card from another system.

e8500, 2gb crucial ddr2, gigabyte p45 mobo, dvd drive (sweet samsung one), seagate SATA (fancy) HDD, AX1200 PSU

jk i7 377k 16gb ddr3 asus mobo.

My rig is extreme, don't worry about bottlenecks. I just have an old video card from another system.

e8500, 2gb crucial ddr2, gigabyte p45 mobo, dvd drive (sweet samsung one), seagate SATA (fancy) HDD, AX1200 PSU

jk i7 377k 16gb ddr3 asus mobo.

You totally sucked me in with that one, awesome!:D

He's got that new rare i7 377k. Haha. :p

The 3770 rocks. Definitely someone who can go straight for the 680. SLI is a status symbol though, lol.

Not really, it's more of a necessity if you game on a high res 27"/30" or on multiple displays... Now if you also wanna call that a status symbol that's another story.

I'm now on card #2 of these - all games crash to desktop (with a driver failure message) after about 5-10 minutes of play, although my temps are more than fine at ~70c, and I'm not overclocking at all.

I finally gave up and reverted to my 460, but the crashing is still occurring - knowing this, I reverted to a pre-r304 driver, and the crashing stopped.

Unfortunately, I obviously can't revert to a pre-r304 driver for the 660ti. I've tried all driver versions available for it, and they all still crash in the same fashion. I decided to try the version of the driver used in pretty much every 660ti review (305.37), but it isn't available for download anywhere on the internet that I've looked. Does someone have this driver that they can host for me? I'm at my wits end with these cards.

I'm now on card #2 of these - all games crash to desktop (with a driver failure message) after about 5-10 minutes of play, although my temps are more than fine at ~70c, and I'm not overclocking at all.

I finally gave up and reverted to my 460, but the crashing is still occurring - knowing this, I reverted to a pre-r304 driver, and the crashing stopped.

Unfortunately, I obviously can't revert to a pre-r304 driver for the 660ti. I've tried all driver versions available for it, and they all still crash in the same fashion. I decided to try the version of the driver used in pretty much every 660ti review (305.37), but it isn't available for download anywhere on the internet that I've looked. Does someone have this driver that they can host for me? I'm at my wits end with these cards.

I sent you a pm. Please reply when you get a moment and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of these crashes.

Im having a bit of a hard time with trying to overclock my card. Seems i get get everything stable by only placing the GPU to about 110mhz and the Memory to around 500mhz. Power is set to 125. What else can i do?

By the way my card at stock is destroying the new game Dishonored lol.

Im having a bit of a hard time with trying to overclock my card. Seems i get get everything stable by only placing the GPU to about 110mhz and the Memory to around 500mhz. Power is set to 125. What else can i do?

I think alot of cards would destory dishonored since its not very demanding.

That sounds like a decent overclock, but you need to post the actual boost speeds instead of just the offset. Otherwise there is no way to compare them, as each card's default boost is different.

Ive been away for a while and was wondering how this video card stacks up against a 580 GTX?
Would it be an upgrade?
If so would it be worth it?
Thanks much..

Ive been away for a while and was wondering how this video card stacks up against a 580 GTX?
Would it be an upgrade?
If so would it be worth it?
Thanks much..
no its not really an upgrade as its hardly better than the 580. check out all the regular review sites or simply google it and you will see.

For the record, I've had the opportunity to test both this card and a stock 580, and the 660 Ti GC was 35-40% faster in an apples-to-apples comparison on newer games. Your mileage may vary but in my experience the 660 Ti GC was noticeably smoother in most cases.

Back