Galaxy Cards any good?

Notleh

Limp Gawd
I just received my Galaxy 470 & it is pretty nice. I don't know if it is any better or worse than an evga, though. I have been a strict evga guy in the past. The warranty is only for 2 years, though...but I have never actually kept a card longer than 2 years..lol.

I have a Galaxy 460 Superclocked that seems pretty good although the fan is audible. On a positive note there is a Galaxy rep on this board who actually answers PM's

I have two Galaxy GTX 480's. I like them. Their tuner software isn't as pretty as EVGA's, but it does exactly what you want it to. My only concern is if I want to water cool my cards, Galaxy will void my warranty. EVGA doesn't void your warranty for water cooling. Oh, Galaxy also doesn't have a forum, unlike EVGA. That's a big deal to me.

For the past few (computer) generations, I've been an EVGA guy, with motherboards and GPUs. This time, I wanted to try something different. So far, so good.

My only concern is if I want to water cool my cards, Galaxy will void my warranty.

Not anymore. They changed their warranty last month. You just have to reinstall the factory heatsink, which I believe is pretty-much the same policy as EVGA.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1534793

Galaxy is definitely making an effort to entice tweakers, and a 2-year warranty is plenty for most users.

Thank you for the replies. Galaxy has me nervous but receiving a 470gtx for less than a 460gtx I may risk it.

I've been an EVGA fan for quite a while. Everyone raves about EVGA, they do have great customer service that I can attest to. Their cards on the other hand just seem generic to me, this isn't necessarily a downside.

I recently needed an upgrade after my EVGA 9800 GTX died. I ended up getting an RMA from EVGA for a new card that I now use as a backup. I purchased a Galaxy GTX 460 Super OC, the same they have been using in [H] reviews. The temp isn't nearly as high as first listed in one of Kyles reviews and I have a hot box (PC A05NB). The fan is quite loud, but if you aren't a noise freak like some people around here it really isn't all that bad. I can barely hear mine through my case, it is the loudest part I own though. Thing is a little beast, the physical design is refreshing and the removable fan is a huge plus even when you have good filtering we all know shit can get in there.

Oh and their new RMA warrenty is damn good.

+1 for Galaxy.

Last edited:
I had a Galaxy 8800GTS512 (G92) which I bought because of unbeatable price + MIR. No issues - cool, quiet, performed well.

Currently have a Galaxy GTX 470 GC version. The temperature is lower compared to stock verion but it's kind of noisy.

I'm actually getting a bit partial to Galaxy. I'm really dubious as to whether the "lifetime warranty" model is really a sustainable business practice. BFG went out of business, EVGA and BFG both charge price premiums, EVGA started doing a somewhat sneaky "TR-" 2-year-only warranty model for some cards...and above all, I have to wonder whether the extra RMA load causes EVGA to get iffy with their RMA process and ship back sketchy cards.

I've had a Galaxy 8800GT for a long time now and it has never failed me yet, has a nice quiet fan on it too.

I'm on my second call and email trying to get an RMA on an overheating GTS250 (80c on idle with clean functioning heatsink.). Seriously gonna start screaming if they dont send me my RMA by tomorrow.

I'm on my second call and email trying to get an RMA on an overheating GTS250 (80c on idle with clean functioning heatsink.). Seriously gonna start screaming if they dont send me my RMA by tomorrow.

Search for the Galaxy rep on the boards if you're having problems, I'm sure he'll take care of you.

I like my card (specs in signature.) The first one I bought was bad however Best Buy exchanged it for me. (Got a good deal at the time.)

Overall I can't complain about my card. Temps are standard for 470GTX's; Besides the cool looking card (I don't have the GC version) they recently modified their warranty terms based on feedback.

Before it was that if it was overclocked it was voided. Now overclocking is fine as long as you don't brick the card doing so.

piscian18,

Sent you a PM a few minutes ago.

piscian18,

Sent you a PM a few minutes ago.

Thanks, I like galaxy products a lot. I own several cards. I just get a little miffed when I don't get responded to in a reasonable time. Don't worry you guys are still far far more responsive than Fujitsu and your products don't cost me millions of dollars. *SIGH*

Anyone with RMA experience want to lend some advice? How does the galaxy rma work? The site says I have to contact tigerdirect but TD says they only exchange for up to 30 days...

Back