Galaxy 2GB 660Ti Dual Fan Issues

Sodapopjones

[H]ard|Gawd
I know I'm not the only one, I'm not sure if it was the earlier batches, but seriously the fans are driving me up a wall....

Sometimes they sound fine, other times it sounds like the bearings are rattling and grinding, its weird.... There is vertical play with the shaft, so I'm not sure if its just the fans design, or if they're just going bad; I didn't really notice it getting louder till this weekend.

Its not really noticeable till after 55% usage and it gets really bad after that, it doesn't help my setup is nearly dead quiet using Cougar case fans and my PSU doesn't kick its fan on hardly ever.

I have no doubt an RMA wouldn't be a problem, I'm just worried I won't get a core as good as mine, since apparently the 2GB Galaxy cards are meh compared to the 3GB cards.

On its own, I haven't seen mine crank the fans past 50%. I've manually set them at 60% and 75% multiple times for benchmarking and I haven't heard them outside of a low hum yet. I imagine 85-100% fan speed could start to get a little loud, and maybe over a short period something could vibrate loose, though.

The fans on the 660 Ti GC 2GB definitely shouldn't be irritating even under full load. I tested two of these cards in SLI with zero proximity and the fan noise was still minimal in my experience. That being said, if you're hearing a rattling or grinding sound even at 100% usage we should investigate and see about a replacement if necessary.

I've sent you a pm.

On its own, I haven't seen mine crank the fans past 50%. I've manually set them at 60% and 75% multiple times for benchmarking and I haven't heard them outside of a low hum yet. I imagine 85-100% fan speed could start to get a little loud, and maybe over a short period something could vibrate loose, though.
I have mine set to run from 70-80% once they get past 65-70c and they don't go any higher than that, the only other time I have heard something similar to this noise was when I had a case fan go on me.
The fans on the 660 Ti GC 2GB definitely shouldn't be irritating even under full load. I tested two of these cards in SLI with zero proximity and the fan noise was still minimal in my experience. That being said, if you're hearing a rattling or grinding sound even at 100% usage we should investigate and see about a replacement if necessary.

I've sent you a pm.

Thanks for your time Andrew, I'm going to get that email out to you.

I also thought this was kind of interesting, I've never seen a choke ooze stuff before....I found this taking pictures.
IMGP1449.jpg

Last edited:
Back