Galactic Civilizations II

HydroSqueegee

2[H]4U
New sub forum = new thread

Whos playing this beauty of a game. Its like they took all the best aspects of the Masters of Orion series and wrapped it up into a digital orgy of fun.

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2021-53-05-85.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2022-05-16-01.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2022-03-36-34.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2022-00-09-28.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2021-55-05-40.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2021-55-00-57.jpg

GalCiv2%202006-02-26%2021-54-39-04.jpg

hot, hot, hotttt!

.... when did this come out!??!!

last time i was checking they had just released a beta or alpha to the public to test on. or something.

is it out yet already?

i cant wait to see what they did.

Playing it myself as well, still a few bugs in it, but stardock support is top notch imo and will resolve these quickly, occasional crashes, and sometimes the video output changes to only black and white for me. but other than that its been great.

It is pretty much just an updated version of part one, better graphics, and the ability to customize ships, a ton of other updates as well, but those are the key points imo.

If you have played part one, you can pretty much walk straight into the game.

is this game hard to get into?
i dont think ive ever played a game like it before, but i think im gonna give this one a try

Journier said:
.... when did this come out!??!!

last time i was checking they had just released a beta or alpha to the public to test on. or something.

is it out yet already?

i cant wait to see what they did.

came out last week. i bought and downloaded it straight from them and had a boxed copy sent to my house.

Jesus_Faction said:
is this game hard to get into?
i dont think ive ever played a game like it before, but i think im gonna give this one a try

pretty easy to get into. Its just a matter of figuring out the intricacies of the game. its pretty simple and straightforward.

baboonpkt said:
Playing it myself as well, still a few bugs in it, but stardock support is top notch imo and will resolve these quickly, occasional crashes, and sometimes the video output changes to only black and white for me. but other than that its been great.

It is pretty much just an updated version of part one, better graphics, and the ability to customize ships, a ton of other updates as well, but those are the key points imo.

If you have played part one, you can pretty much walk straight into the game.

definetly some bugs, but minor ones. one fun one is loading a game and seeing 4 extra ships of whatever was in production around all my planets. :D

It is not too hard imo, it has a nice guided tutorial now which shows you the basics, and a decent manual and great support via thier forums, huge fan base and mod base as well for part one, and the same is already in process for part two from alot of the beta players. If you want more info go to galciv2.com.

Best way I can describe it is like civ in space, very customizable, ability to make relatively short games which can take a few hours to huge games that can take days or weeks, or so i've heard(haven't had it that long myself).

I've been playing as much as possible the last 5 days, and it's been lots of fun so far. The only bugs I have seen is 1 corrupted Autosave and 2 crashes when I alt-tabbed out of the game (and the bad autosave may have been related to one of these crashes). Other than that it's worked perfectly.

The AI is actually pretty good in this game. There are 4 ways to win the game, Warfare, Cultural Influence, Technological discovery, and Alliance. If you let yourself fall behind in Influence or Warfare the AI WILL attack that weakness and destroy you. I haven't seen it win either of the other ways, but I don't doubt that if you got into a stalemate on Influence and Military it would probably try to win on one of the other two fronts.

Either way, you gotta play hard and you gotta play smart. It takes awhile to learn just how much micro-managing you need to do, and how to make an effective start, but once you get into the swing of things it's both challenging and fun.

Another fun aspect is minor races. Every once in awhile you will run into a race that has a plant but otherwise doesn't expand. By focusing a little tech discovery effort into diplomacy you can get ahead of them in that area and then you can start trading technology they can't use effectively (like space travel related stuff) in exchange for whatever they are researching. This is better than exchanging with regular races because the minor race can't really hurt you, and ultimately you will always be able to overwhelm their planet no matter what tech they have.

Nice, I didn't realize this was out yet.
As soon as I put down Civ IV, I'll be buying this one.

Back