Gainward Geforce4 Ti 4200 issues

Richards

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2004
Messages
48
Oddly enough... my video card seems to be... OVERHEATING. No overclocking done. It ****ing overheats. Put in my friend's ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and THAT overheats. wtf?

Is there something in the asus bios that forces overclocking? Asus A8V Deluxe MB with 939pin Athlon64 90nm CPU
 
well are you overclocking your processor?? ( i dont remeber if that baord you have, has AGp/PCI locks ..which would explain alot..) is there good airflow in the case?
 
No OCed anything. It was closed case, so I opened it... that didnt help much.. So I put a fan on top, and one blowing on the bottom out through an open slot out of the case.

Still overheats.

Anyway.. im just a bit annoyed at the fact that both cards overheated... IM at a loss for words on why two diffrent generation cards, years apart from eachother in technology would both overheat. The fan on the GF4 is running, and hasnt stopped... even when I started seeing video corruption.

Intake fans? There's two. One on the very bottom taking in air from the front, one in the top over the PSU... and one heavy duty fan that sounds like a jet engine in the middle pushing a ton of air out.


How do I determine the video is overheating? I see video corruption, and if I feel the card, especially the RAM.. it's wayy too hot to touch. After a few minutes/seconds it'll give me the best psychedelic display of colors, then the video will shut down.

When I start seeing that, I get out of the game quickly, let the 4 fans on the card cool it down... and wait a few minutes.. and go back in.

This is what ive done so far:
Turned off AA/AF
Turned off advanced directdraw
Forced dx8 for css

Now this works halfway.. I still get some minor video corruption, but not as much anymore.
 
Any kind of game now... kills the card. So... no games until I get a new video card. Excellent... NOT!
 
This ig going to sound obvious but it's an older card if it's not brand new have you checked the heat sinks to make sure the fan is still flowin air? My old Chaintech 4200 had dust collect at the edge og the heat sinks so the air from the fan wasn't flowing down the channels and was cauing lock ups playing even the most non-demanding games. I'd check there just to be safe.

If's it's not that. Detail for us the case cooling you've got going.
 
SKy042 said:
This ig going to sound obvious but it's an older card if it's not brand new have you checked the heat sinks to make sure the fan is still flowin air? My old Chaintech 4200 had dust collect at the edge og the heat sinks so the air from the fan wasn't flowing down the channels and was cauing lock ups playing even the most non-demanding games. I'd check there just to be safe.

If's it's not that. Detail for us the case cooling you've got going.

This gainward card dosent even HAVE a heatsink... looks like it just sits on top of the GPU with a flat heat spreader and a fan running on it.

Case cooling: one fan blowing air out near the MB/vid
One fan pulling air in at the top and bottom

I took down one of the fans, since the case is totally open, and there are two fans currently running on the video, the CPU im not worried about as it's adequately cooled already.
 
If your friend is using a different mobo, you considered running it on his system?
 
Bobby said:
If your friend is using a different mobo, you considered running it on his system?

I dont have access to his mobo, nor anyone elses.
I still believe purchasing an X800 XT is better.. but that's just me.
 
I've had a similar issue and the motherboard was at fault, I didn't have a massive amount of time for a post mortem, but I'm of the opinon that the voltage regulators were screwed, I'd not leave the card in there if I were you, (or the CPU or the memory for that matter)

It was that mobo that went up in smoke when I was at work one day, I thought there a funny smell when I got back in. :eek: had swapped the graphics card out for a S3 virge as I thought the graphics card was broke... :rolleyes:
 
from a trouble shooting standpoint, you have put a known good 9800pro in your system and gotten the same prbolems. this rules the video card out as a suspect. You also said that the RAM is very hot. coomon thread is the mobo. pick up a $19 refurb from newegg to test this theory. Makes mroe sense than buyinga an x800 and finding out that the 3rd card you put in your system has a "problem".

also, on case cooling. an open case actually ahs less airflow than a closed case. there is no vacumm created, so the intake fans just blow air out and it dissapates. in a closed case, the exhaust fans pull the intake air over the comonents. Only benefit to an open case is if the ambient room temp is lowe enough to cool the components with their respective onbaord heatsink fans..
 
Richards said:
How do I determine the video is overheating? I see video corruption, and if I feel the card, especially the RAM.. it's wayy too hot to touch. After a few minutes/seconds it'll give me the best psychedelic display of colors, then the video will shut down.

based on that quote, I do not believe he ahs any actual temps.
 
Back
Top