Gainward 6800 Ultra Extreme 512MB PCI-E!

trudude

[H]ard|Gawd
Here we go.....

http://www.gainward.de/new/news/050223/05_03_CoolFX_Ultra_2800_PCX_Golden_Sample.pdf

512mb.jpg

Wow...very nice. Too bad I don't have a system with PCI-E or I'd be even more excited :D

That thing will scream...especially if overclocked...

Isnt there another thread about this? Anyway, I think its realy cool that 512 mb video cards are coming out, maybe then 256 will become commonplace in even the low end cards :D

They gotta make sure the standard price for high end cards is still $700...512 mb memory sounds pretty useless unless you have a 24" widescreen monitor and need to run everything at 1900xsomething...

Bluemagic said:
They gotta make sure the standard price for high end cards is still $700...512 mb memory sounds pretty useless unless you have a 24" widescreen monitor and need to run everything at 1900xsomething...
700?
I bet this card will be 800+

Alowishus said:
Isnt there another thread about this? Anyway, I think its realy cool that 512 mb video cards are coming out, maybe then 256 will become commonplace in even the low end cards :D
Yeah I found it just a second ago however it was at the bottom of the first page of the thread and only a few people saw it. I don't like speculating and posting Inq. links. I wanted to make sure that I posted a real Press Release.

Rollo said:
You guys do know there are no Gainward cards in the USA right?

International manufacturers (msi, asus, etc) are going to have to follow suit to compete, so it's no reason to be jealous of Europe. Isnt this the first formally announced 512mb gaming card?

why arent Gainward's in the US anymore? I remember they had some kickass GF4 cards that were sold here...

Isnt this the first formally announced 512mb gaming card?
I dont know, Ati annoucned teh X850XTPE 512 around the same time, I dont know who was first though. I know the INQ talked about this a while back first addresing the 512 Radeon. I thought when two cards were in SLI that they did truely have 512mb of Vram?
I think these cards should retail max (MSRP) 600 bucks American. Anything more for MSRP is overkill. I am glad that cards like these are coming out though. This will mean more AA and AF For EVERYBODY! :) :D

{NG}Fidel said:
I dont know, Ati annoucned teh X850XTPE 512 around the same time, I dont know who was first though. I know the INQ talked about this a while back first addresing the 512 Radeon. I thought when two cards were in SLI that they did truely have 512mb of Vram?
I think these cards should retail max (MSRP) 600 bucks American. Anything more for MSRP is overkill. I am glad that cards like these are coming out though. This will mean more AA and AF For EVERYBODY! :) :D

ATi (afaik) hasn't announced the 512. The Inq just expects them to soon.

2x256mb cards in SLI = 256mb of video memory
2x512mb cards in SLI = 512mb of video memory

Sorry, that's just the way things are.

rayman2k2 said:
why arent Gainward's in the US anymore? I remember they had some kickass GF4 cards that were sold here...
Don't know, they pulled out of US though and were sold to Palit. Maybe Palit will bring them back?

And to think that I'd be perfectly happy with a 128Mb card. Preposterous?

that card should haul...

though i dont see most of us having a need for that extra 256mb of vram quite yet, but hey, if you have the cash... spend it i guess..

In a SLi array, that would effectively make 1Gb of shared ram on the video cards. Why...? :confused:

iddqd said:
In a SLi array, that would effectively make 1Gb of shared ram on the video cards. Why...? :confused:

But SLI doesnt combine the memory!

Also, why don't you have a CPU?

iddqd said:
no, only 512. Each videocard contains same data, they dont sli memory, only gpus :(

This is reminiscent of the Ultra Extreme being announced as ATI released their X800XTPE.

Price estimate: $900/card in waterblock config; $700/card w/o waterblock.

This is reminiscent of the Ultra Extreme being announced as ATI released their X800XTPE

I wonder if this Ultra Exreme is the same as the last offering?You had to be one of the luck bastards to win it in a lottery lmao.

glynn said:
I wonder if this Ultra Exreme is the same as the last offering?You had to be one of the luck bastards to win it in a lottery lmao.

You had to win the opportunity to BUY it. That was pretty sad.

Bluemagic said:

I agree however...if it weren't for things like this and the "useless" 256mb cards back in the day...we wouldn't have games like D3 and HL2 that can even make use of all that memory. So...while 512MB cards will continue to be rare and expensive for the next couple of years....at least they're out there and they will start driving developers to make use of things like that RAM.

I hate to be a naysayer, but, 512mb of RAM is almost completely useless in current games, with only 2 or 3 that will even potentially show an improvement at all (and only a negligible one most likely). A year from now 512mb will still be only marginally useful, with probably only a dozen or so high-end games having any use for it at all, and still with only marginal improvements in performance. Meanwhile far faster cards of the next generation, many with 256mb of RAM, will be outperforming this 6800u by quite a bit in those same games. So unless the price point of this card is within about $50 to $75 of normal 6800u's it will be a complete waste of money for anyone except extreme overclockers (like people already in the top 20 or so in 3dmark 05).

To make it clear, I am not saying the industry moving forward by presenting 512mb offerings is a bad thing. I am all for getting some 512mb cards on the shelf to push the developers to offer games that WILL be able to take advantage of the added RAM, and I see this and the new ATI offering (if INQ is right) as positive things for the industry as a whole....

My real concern is that so many people seem to think that 512mb of RAM is going to make a big difference RIGHT NOW, when it really isn't going to. I just want to make sure the word is out in this thread that it's a nice thing to see happening, but the card itself is not a good investment for almost anyone since it will mostly only outperform other 6800ultras because of the faster-than-standard and hand-picked RAM (and Core, if they are hand-picking those as well).

"ATi (afaik) hasn't announced the 512. The Inq just expects them to soon."

Sorry Quote button wasnt working.
ATI announced the 512 cards on their website look it my friend.
Its on their site.
www.ATI.com

{NG}Fidel said:
"ATi (afaik) hasn't announced the 512. The Inq just expects them to soon."

Sorry Quote button wasnt working.
ATI announced the 512 cards on their website look it my friend.
Its on their site.
www.ATI.com

And the 512MB will be just as useless on their card as well. ;)

Rollo said:

You'll be singing a different song in a few years. I bet you said (or would have said depending on your age) the same thing when the 256mb cards came out. I dont know why people feel the need to knock 512 mb since its being implemented on an ungodly expensive card that many of us wont buy anyway. And since 512 is just starting to come out, game programmers will feel the need implement higher quality textures in their games for the select few that own the card. Once more games support 512mb of memory, then it will become more commonplace in video cards. Remember, games will never progress unless theres hardware to back it up.

Rollo said:

Even more so in an SLI set-up. Pfffttahhahaha what a waste. Some poor newb with a small penis is madly trying to order two Gainwards so he can be the 1st |337 pOwnZOr w17h 1GB of h07 \/1d30 r4/\/\ g00dn33s!!!

iddqd said:
Hell, 256Mb cards are still pretty useless. Why 512?

That depends on who you are, and how you game. At a high res, with lots of AA/AF, 256 is better than 128. This is pretty old, but still shows the 9800 Pro 256meg being 20fps faster than the 9800 Pro 128meg. Yes the 256 is 10Mhz faster on the memory, but thats not going to be a 20fps difference. I dont call going from 37fps, to 57fps useless.

You really cant test todays cards, say a 6800 Ultra, or X800XT/PE, etc with only 128meg, to see how much a difference it will make at high resolutions, and lots of AA/AF. More and more people are going to extreme high res', and more ram is sure to help. Perhaps its a faster type of ram too? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Im not saying 512 is going to help a lot, I doubt it will for most users. I do think its a shortsighted to call it worthless when it hasnt even been tested yet though. I am waiting on a 2405FPW next month, its native res is 1920x1200, up from my 2005FPW and 1680x1050 (which is more stressing that 1600x1200). It will be interesting for me to see if in fact the 512 is faster than 256 in that res, with say 4xAA/8xAF at that res. Although, its going to be hard, because no review site seems to want to test WS displays. :mad:

oooh, i wonder how much faster it would play doom3 in ultra quality rather than high, high-->ultra was just localizing all of the textures and stuff right?

fallguy said:
Im not saying 512 is going to help a lot, I doubt it will for most users. I do think its a shortsighted to call it worthless when it hasnt even been tested yet though.

I don't think anyone is saying 512mb of RAM is worthless. We are saying it's not going to be worth what you will have to pay for it. We are just trying to caution the few people who look at this news and actually think to themselves "Haha. I will get one and be super |337."

fallguy said:
That depends on who you are, and how you game. At a high res, with lots of AA/AF, 256 is better than 128. This is pretty old, but still shows the 9800 Pro 256meg being 20fps faster than the 9800 Pro 128meg. Yes the 256 is 10Mhz faster on the memory, but thats not going to be a 20fps difference. I dont call going from 37fps, to 57fps useless.

You really cant test todays cards, say a 6800 Ultra, or X800XT/PE, etc with only 128meg, to see how much a difference it will make at high resolutions, and lots of AA/AF. More and more people are going to extreme high res', and more ram is sure to help. Perhaps its a faster type of ram too? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Im not saying 512 is going to help a lot, I doubt it will for most users. I do think its a shortsighted to call it worthless when it hasnt even been tested yet though. I am waiting on a 2405FPW next month, its native res is 1920x1200, up from my 2005FPW and 1680x1050 (which is more stressing that 1600x1200). It will be interesting for me to see if in fact the 512 is faster than 256 in that res, with say 4xAA/8xAF at that res. Although, its going to be hard, because no review site seems to want to test WS displays. :mad:
It can have huge gains in the future.
There's some program that shows video ram suage, and HL2 was using 222MB- and HL2 doesn't even look that good, imagine with high res textures and such!

arentol said:
I don't think anyone is saying 512mb of RAM is worthless. We are saying it's not going to be worth what you will have to pay for it. We are just trying to caution the few people who look at this news and actually think to themselves "Haha. I will get one and be super |337."

You're right, they didnt say worthless, it was useless.Same difference.

Rollo said:

iddqd said:
Hell, 256Mb cards are still pretty useless. Why 512?

retardedchicken said:
oooh, i wonder how much faster it would play doom3 in ultra quality rather than high, high-->ultra was just localizing all of the textures and stuff right?
Doom3? Are people actually playing that game still?

Back