Gaining rights to files.

laptop

Limp Gawd
Hey
I posted this question a year or so ago when I screwed up my computer.
Now I am in the same situation (kids computer) and cant remember how to fix it.
Yes, I tried to search for it with no luck. I installed over the old install (win xp pro)
and cant get access to the old user file from the first install. I get the "you dont have rights
access denied" box. How do I gain/take rights to the the old user folder.
Thanks again in advance.

Assuming your logging in with an admin account, you should be able to dig into the security and permissions settings on the folder itself to assign ownership.

with me that didnt work. I did it with linux, just use knoppix on it, or something like that, you will have access then..

I should have mentioned that since it was your machine previously, you can just recreate the admin account from the previous machine, and it should work as well.

Of course, when in doubt....Norton Ghost.

djnes said:
I should have mentioned that since it was your machine previously, you can just recreate the admin account from the previous machine, and it should work as well.

Of course, when in doubt....Norton Ghost.
i haev the same dvd drive :D:D so cool

sorry :cool:

I think I should be more clear.
I just want access to the file so I can transfer a few files.

Right click the file and make sure it is not READ-ONLY. Sometimes thats a problem

But anyways, are you the Admin on the system? Should be able to. But you can set yourself to have admin priviliges. Control Panel --Admin Tools -- Comp Managment -- Local Users and groups -- Users -- Find your Name -- Right Click -- Properties -- Memeber Of -- Add Administrator or whatever the group is called.

That will give you admin rights, granted, the systems isnt stupid and doesnt say Only Admin Can Edit these things.. :rolleyes:

As i said, use knoppix on it, you wont have any trouble getting into the folder, and the copieng,i think u just have to mount it right...

Back