GAH! AMD noob. HSF removal?

t0x1k

Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
678
I'm such a noob when it comes to AMD heatsinks....I'm in charge of cleaning my parents computer once a month. The heatsink gets really dirty because I can't remove it. I try really hard to get that damned clip off....no luck...I hurt my fingers trying to get it to come off....I don't want to crack the core either....What's the proper way of removing it?
 
Well it depends on the retention mechanism. But if it standard 3 pin AMD mech, I sometimes use a flat screwdriver to help me. With my FOP32 there was no way I could remove this by hand.
 
You do not not need to remove the heatsink to clean it once a month. Go get yourself some canned air and just blow the dust out of it.

If you have another reason to remove the heatsink then follow camay123's advice and use a screwdriver to release the clip.
 
maybe this will help u

try to push down the hs a bit and remove the clip with a screwdriver

my english isn`t perfect but i hope u get what i mean

amd%20hs.JPG



X
 
My recent AMD retail HSF has a green plastic piece molded onto the metal clip. If you look down on the plastic piece it should have a indent specifically made for a common bladed screwdriver tip. Insert a screwdriver tip into that and press down gently while prying out at the same time.
 
My 2500+ has that same green plastic piece... the thing was still a bitch to get on!

I'm shopping for an aftermarket heatsink and fan now... I'm not looking forward to trying to get that OEM heatsink and fan off.
 
Get a Dr. Thermal heatsink. Thier fairly good peformers and they are the EASIEST HSF to mount on AMD systems.
 
Back
Top