Gadgets to measure cable length used.

multiplexed

Weaksauce
Lets say I have a 1,000 foot box of Cat5e cable. Is there a gadget I can attach to the box that will measure the length of cable I'm pulling out of the box?

I know there are those wheels that you can walk with to measure distance, but I need something that will attach to the box and measure the amount of cable coming out of the box itself.

What is this gadget called?

tapemeasureda3.jpg

tape measure?

Well, that would be the logical thing to do. It's accurate enough, but a real hassle if you're running a longer cable. A gadget would be so much easier, and even more accurate. Some gadget like this must exist somewhere.

Read the printing on the side of the cable and take the difference of the two length numbers? That's what I do.

Are you thinking of the measuring device used in Home Depot that you wrap the cable around and spin until you get the desired distance (found in the electrical wire section)? Not sure what's it called, and I'm sure it is costly.

There are devices out there that can estimate the cable distance if both ends are crimped, but this doesn't sound what you need.

I think Dew's suggestion is probably the easiest. Find the nearest distance marker, calculate the distance you want, unravel until you find that distance marker, and snip.

However, if you are using cheap cable, it may not have the lengths...I've only seen that a few times. 9 times out of 10 it'll have the feet stamped on the cable and is the way nearly every person I've worked with has used.

We have an older Fluke for cable tests, as well as basic network trouble-shooting. Probably much more then your looking for, but it is a great little device.

Usually it's marked on the cable how much is left. (Atleast the cable i've used does)

I knew they printed some things on the cable, but didn't think to look for this. There's a 7 digit number that increments up by 2 every 2 feet. I'll have to wait until I run a longer cable to decipher the whole number though.

If there is a gadget that would attach to the box and measure the amount of feet used, please still post the name. Otherwise, thanks for everyone's assistance. I appreciate the help.

We have an older Fluke for cable tests, as well as basic network trouble-shooting. Probably much more then your looking for, but it is a great little device.

this only works if atleast one side is terminated and it's been cut. If you are measuring while it's still on the spool you will only get the total length on the spool.

Usually it's marked on the cable how much is left. (Atleast the cable i've used does)
The nicer stuff is marked as what's left on the roll, you can get cheaper stuff that's marked what's left from a bulk roll (usually 5-6 digit lengths, but it still works the same you just need to do a little math), and you can get the even cheaper stuff that doesn't have any feet marked.

Back