Gadget Question

BLK03GT

n00b
Is there a way to lock the gadgets on the desktop? I can't figure out why, but sometimes when I click on my desktop my gadgets becomen hidden and I have to right click the toolbar icon to show them again.

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

im not exactly sure what you mean.

If you're talking about the sidebar, you can keep it there permanently by right clicking the bar and checking "put on top of other windows" or something to that effect

also, to get the bar to pop up, you can do winkey + space

Right-click the system tray icon and choose Properties.

Enable the 'Sidebar is always on top of other Windows' option. Does that help?

Thanks, I have tried that and well it does just what it says and keeps it on top of everything.

Is the gadget bar part of the desktop? It is correct. For example, when I click on the show desktop, the gadget bar disappears. Then when I click anywhere on the desktop it, on occation, disappears then too.

No biggie, thanks for the responses.

It's not part of the desktop. If you view the desktop you need to right-click the Sidebar icon and "Bring gadgets to front", apparently.

Ok, another ambiguous post with an ambiguous question, at least to me.

Are you asking about keeping the Sidebar itself visible with gadgets on it or are you asking about keeping the gadgets themselves visible when you detach them from the Sidebar and drop them directly on the Desktop?

I can't quite make out precisely what you're asking, soooo... do me and you and the rest of us and clarify it a bit.

Gadgets can be detached from the Sidebar and sit on the Desktop itself - and you can even close the Sidebar after that (meaning the ribbon on the side of the screen since it's not necessary if the gadgets are detached). The "Sidebar" application is still running because you'll see the Sidebar icon in the Tray, but the "bar" or ribbon doesn't have to be visible or in operation.

It happens when they are attached. I click on my desktop and the gadgets disappear for no good reason and it doesn't happen all of the time.

I'm not what was ambigous about it, however.

I think the problem was that the gadgets disappear with the windows+d shortcut, when clicking "show desktop", or when selecting the desktop with alt/windows+tab.

Basically the OP (and I) was looking for a way to make all those "show desktop" functions work like windows+m, which minimizes all windows but keeps the gadgets visible.
So we want the gadgets to be "always on top of the desktop, but never on top of other windows".

Back