Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

Linux will never, ever, be mainstream and thus, never, ever be a mainstream competitor to Windows gaming. Whatever garbage Apple comes out with has a better chance at diversifying gaming than Linux does.

WOW...haters gonna hate. WINDOZE4EVER :rolleyes:

Not disputing this fact. However the fact remains that the same PC running Windows the same games run as a slideshow.

Not in the slightest. I know for a fact that when I had a Linux desktop (Celeron G540 and Radeon HD-7750), the games that had playable Linux versions ran more-or-less identical to one another. End of story. I ran the Unigine Valley Demo on both Windows 7 and Linux on my system in sig. There was a 1-2 fps difference between them - well within a margin-of-error.

Linux is great but unless all my games worked on it, I will use Windows 7 for gaming as long as I have to. Another thing is getting the average gamer to actually switch to it. And then if they do switch and have trouble, good luck troubleshooting some things depending on the distro.

Linux really needs convergence or at least have very strict standards for distro's to adhere too in order to have a chance. Go to distrowatchdotcom and see just how fragmented it is....

Fragmented and everyone thinks their distro is the greatest. Many Linux users can also be quite unfriendly to newbs which could be another drawback for those looking to switch.

Angry much? The only people that are delusional are those that spit foam out of the sides of their mouths because Valve is exploring diversifying to multiple platforms so they're not beholden to one private company with a monopoly on Steam's existing single-platform dependency.

Nobody's talking about anything overtaking Microsoft, right now it's about alternative and choice to Microsoft going Metro bipolar and doing everything it can to commit Windows suicide. If you have a problem with that then you're part of the problem.

Valve already has Steam clients for Linux and OSX. Nobody is angry about that.

The idea that Linux is somehow going to overtake Windows as the lead platform for game develoment is simply bullshit. Does anyone have a problem with Linux grabbing more marketshare? No. Nobody actually cares. Linux grabbing a significant marketshare? Not any time soon.

Gabe keeps perpetuating a lie. Windows 8 is not a closed platform. Anyone who disputes that is wrong, no discussion.

Valve already has Steam clients for Linux and OSX. Nobody is angry about that.

The idea that Linux is somehow going to overtake Windows as the lead platform for game develoment is simply bullshit. Does anyone have a problem with Linux grabbing more marketshare? No. Nobody actually cares. Linux grabbing a significant marketshare? Not any time soon.

Gabe keeps perpetuating a lie. Windows 8 is not a closed platform. Anyone who disputes that is wrong, no discussion.

You sound angry to me...Does it offend you that Gabe and Valve actually try something different?

Last edited:
You sound angry to me...Does it offend you the Gabe and Valve actually try something different?

They are welcome to "try" anything they like (just like MS was welcome to try the Metro UI) ... whether it succeeds will be solely up to the users AND the developers ... if it is truly better for the tens of millions of Steam users then they will convert ... however, even hardcore gamers use their computers for more than gaming ... for Linux to go Full Monty it needs to do everything better for everyone (and that is a heavy lift for any OS) :cool:

Gabe has a plan that would work if Linux did have the dev support and popularity of even OSX. Linux is being held back by a lack of funding for marketing because it's non-profit. If you look at how much money MS spends just to maintain a monopoly in the market, it's simply stunning.

10 years ago if you were to say "Windows Server is going to have a good chunk of the enterprise market" you would have gotten laughed off this planet. Today, WinServe has 35% marketshare. Even though it is slower, buggier and costs license fees compared to Linux. How is it possible? Marketing and payoffs.

The only way for Linux to be able to gain market share is if there was an income incentive. Who is going to step up and market Linux to us? As it stands, it has no way of growing because the average Joe doesn't know about it and doesn't know how to use it, because Windows has been ingrained into his head.

The only way for Linux to be able to gain market share is if there was an income incentive. Who is going to step up and market Linux to us?
Canonical. They'll do this in a way, to some extent, that downplays the fact that their product is Linux, but that isn't really important. The problem is that they're far from having Microsoft's resources to do that.

No. I'm not angry. What does this have to do with the debate?

It doesn't...I'm simply answering the question you asked when quoting me.

Back on topic: Does it bother you if Gabe/Valve releases a Linux based game console? What's the worst that could happen, they fail, you laugh at them, and it goes back to status quo?

It doesn't...I'm simply answering the question you asked when quoting me.

Back on topic: Does it bother you if Gabe/Valve releases a Linux based game console? What's the worst that could happen, they fail, you laugh at them, and it goes back to status quo?

Of course it doesn't bother me. I actually want to own a Steambox. That, however, isn't the topic of discussion.

Of course it doesn't bother me. I actually want to own a Steambox. That, however, isn't the topic of discussion.

WUT? Have you read the thread topic? People are talking about several different things in this thread...didn't know there were strict rules. :rolleyes:

Here you go, thread topic: Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

I few would care one way or the other. Either Valve delivers goods that people want to buy or it fails and fails pretty hard given the incredibly stuff competition in this market. Few people are going to buy a Linux based Steam Box because of the modern UI in Windows 8. Indeed if that were the case Steam on Linux should have gone gangbusters instead of being a complete failure to date.

WUT? Have you read the thread topic? People are talking about several different things in this thread...didn't know there were strict rules. :rolleyes:

Here you go, thread topic: Gabe Newell says Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware to come out

You're quoted me several times and not once had something relevant to say about the posts you've quoted. I think it's time to give up.

I few would care one way or the other. Either Valve delivers goods that people want to buy or it fails and fails pretty hard given the incredibly stuff competition in this market. Few people are going to buy a Linux based Steam Box because of the modern UI in Windows 8. Indeed if that were the case Steam on Linux should have gone gangbusters instead of being a complete failure to date.

I would actually pay to have the Steam UI on a console rather than the Windows 8 UI. It's much more intuitive and gamer friendly... not sure about the 3rd party apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc... though.

And yes, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and even Microsoft making consoles had a direct effect on the slowing in the PC gaming industry.

And all those consoles were a part of "Microsoft's effect on PC gaming", as you were saying?

Canonical. They'll do this in a way, to some extent, that downplays the fact that their product is Linux, but that isn't really important. The problem is that they're far from having Microsoft's resources to do that.

That's the problem. Canonical can't do squat to compete with MS. MS will pay/give free tools to devs just to sway them into continuing to develop for Windows if they free threatened.

I would actually pay to have the Steam UI on a console rather than the Windows 8 UI. it s much more intuitive and gamer friendly... not sure about the 3rd party apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc... though.

Lol they are exactly the same ui. Large rectangles or large squares take your pick.i use windows 8 as my htpc / game box and it is perfect in that roll. Set all the games into their own window and use the scroll wheel to navigate compared to steam ui which has every game in their own window and you scroll with the joystick.

That's the problem. Canonical can't do squat to compete with MS. MS will pay/give free tools to devs just to sway them into continuing to develop for Windows if they free threatened.

That's the problem with Linux, nobody has billions to throw at developers like MS does...

Lol they are exactly the same ui. Large rectangles or large squares take your pick.i use windows 8 as my htpc / game box and it is perfect in that roll. Set all the games into their own window and use the scroll wheel to navigate compared to steam ui which has every game in their own window and you scroll with the joystick.

They sure don't look and act the same to me but please feel free to keep pimping the Win 8 UI...try taking a second look at Steam as its not just the same squares...lol

PS: Steam doesn't need a second desktop mode either. :p

Steam uses rounded rectangles and all-capped headings whereas Windows 8 uses hard-edged rectangles and title-cased headings.

Completely different things.

Steam uses rounded rectangles and all-capped headings whereas Windows 8 uses hard-edged rectangles and title-cased headings.

Completely different things.

Ok, talk about getting off topic! This isn't a Windows 8 thread so why don't we stick to the thread topic?

Ok, talk about getting off topic! This isn't a Windows 8 thread so why don't we stick to the thread topic?
For the same reason that Windows threads always turn into Linux vs Windows, duh.:p

43595-carlton-dance-gif-oqXM.gif

(No, heatless, this is not Will Smith)

43595-carlton-dance-gif-oqXM.gif

(No, heatless, this is not Will Smith)

I know I was just as guilty, that's why I said it! :)

I think if Valve plays its cards right and releases an exclusive like HL3 for their console first (then pc,mac later) the console could have a chance of taking off. That and releasing good developer tools. I know its a long shot (especially HL3) but who knows.

That would kill their game sales and hurt their Steam platform on Windows. Bad business decision.

You brought it up and like the last couple arguments you brought up you continue to be wrong.

Linux is more convoluted and difficult to use than windows 8 as an everyday os currently. A streamlined steam box will alleviate the majority of complaints and honestly I'm looking forward to the steambox; however, don't think this will be the start of the holy grail of linux gaming.

That would kill their game sales and hurt their Steam platform on Windows. Bad business decision.

Could be but the point is getting exclusives or AAA games on it. Their money is still their money so does it matter what platform they get it from? Not sure how that would hurt Steam sales on the pc? Sell it on all platforms but steambox first and make profit...seems simple to me. They need to put their money where their mouth is.

You brought it up and like the last couple arguments you brought up you continue to be wrong.

Linux is more convoluted and difficult to use than windows 8 as an everyday os currently. A streamlined steam box will alleviate the majority of complaints and honestly I'm looking forward to the steambox; however, don't think this will be the start of the holy grail of linux gaming.

A Steambox will be a media/gaming supplement. It isn't going to compete with next gen consoles, at least not in its first iteration. It will need to compete with medium duty gaming htpcs, which it should be able to do well. With proper set-top/htpc functions, it could replace the consoles as media extenders and streaming devices, but gaming can't be the primary focus.

Could be but the point is getting exclusives or AAA games on it. Their money is still their money so does it matter what platform they get it from? Not sure how that would hurt Steam sales on the pc? Sell it on all platforms but steambox first and make profit...seems simple to me. They need to put their money where their mouth is.

Valve needs to walk a fine line here though ... console gaming only has to contend with one venue (gaming on a television) ... Steam has to contend with two potential markets ... PC gamers who game with one or more monitors at a work station ... and that same TV market ... they cannot trade one for the other as the hardcore desktop gamers DO NOT want to game in the living room and cost isn't the only reason that console gamers eschew the PC ... they need to be careful as they have millions of existing customers to lose if they mess up :cool:

Back