Gabe Newell Interview

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Verge has a rather interesting interview with Gabe Newell posted today that covers everything from NVIDIA's Shield to the "giant sadness" that is Windows 8.

So are most of these going to be Linux-based Steam Boxes?

We’ll come out with our own and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard. This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination. We also think that a controller that has higher precision and lower latency is another interesting thing to have.

Dear Mr Newell,

Please stop promoting always on DRM under the thinly disguised scheme of a content distribution platform. There are many users, myself included who would be very interested in Steam if we had the option to only turn it on to purchase games. I am aware that many people don't seem to care that they are running what is effectively spyware on their machines, however us more discerning customers take issue with being treated like criminals. In short, allow the option to run games purchased through steam without needing to turn steam on or even have it installed if I so choose. Also, please forward this letter to EA as well.

Thank you,
A gamer who is tired of being treated like a Pirate/cheater in every game.

I wonder where he got his 20% of decline in PC Sales, as posted earlier, Windows 8 (put opinions aside first) sold about 60 million since launch and Im betting 7 is on strong sales as well.

Dear Mr Newell,

Please stop promoting always on DRM under the thinly disguised scheme of a content distribution platform. There are many users, myself included who would be very interested in Steam if we had the option to only turn it on to purchase games. I am aware that many people don't seem to care that they are running what is effectively spyware on their machines, however us more discerning customers take issue with being treated like criminals. In short, allow the option to run games purchased through steam without needing to turn steam on or even have it installed if I so choose. Also, please forward this letter to EA as well.

Thank you,

Dear Mr. Dekoth-E,

You are a very very small minority compared to amount of pirates out there. We really want to attract developers by ensuring a revenue to stream to both them and us. We would really like to be able to feed our families versus making sure your PC steam games can run off car batteries in a lead vault for years on end.

Thank you,
Reality

I wonder where he got his 20% of decline in PC Sales, as posted earlier, Windows 8 (put opinions aside first) sold about 60 million since launch and Im betting 7 is on strong sales as well.

There is a slowdown in the desktop/laptop sales figures but it is due to a number of factors and I doubt Windows 8 is even on the map in terms of being a factor. Tablets are becoming the primary use for email and lazy browsing in the home right now so not a whole lot of people are feeling the hard need to upgrade their computers if they're a bit sluggish. Secondly, computers last so bloody long in the home right now for light duty tasks that they have to break for people to replace them. The hardware can last so long now that there's no need to buy something new.

So, yes, PC and laptop sales are slowing. It was happening years before Windows 8 and it continues to happen. Gabe is twisting the figures to mean what he wants it to mean. He doesn't like Windows 8. So be it, I can accept that. Just don't twist the statistics to mean what you want it to mean. Say you don't like it and move on. Don't be a drama queen.

Dear Mr. Dekoth-E,

You are a very very small minority compared to amount of pirates out there. We really want to attract developers by ensuring a revenue to stream to both them and us. We would really like to be able to feed our families versus making sure your PC steam games can run off car batteries in a lead vault for years on end.

Thank you,
Reality

Of those pirates, please show me empirically that they are being turned into paying customers. If you cannot, then your argument is moot due to being based on inflated statistics that are quite simply made up. I contend that my minority is a larger number then that of the actual lost sales to piracy of customers who would of otherwise paid.

Dear Mr Newell,

Thank you,

When I moved it took over a month to get an internet connection in my house. Steam ran flawlessly in offline mode the entire time, giving me full access to all of my single-player games.

Interview Gabe Newell..

Don't ask about Half-Life 3 or any of their series'..

FAIL

When I moved it took over a month to get an internet connection in my house. Steam ran flawlessly in offline mode the entire time, giving me full access to all of my single-player games.

Yeah,

In fact, when I was on ship, without internet access on my laptop, for three months, I still had full access to all of my single-player games without issue in offline mode.

That's nice, but it misses the point. I don't want to use a third party program to launch my games...period. I wouldn't mind using it to buy games. However that is it, after I am done purchasing I want the ability to shut it off or even uninstall it until the next time I want to use it. I am glad it doesn't bother you, I however take issue with someone looking over my digital shoulder to make sure I am obeying.

can't wait to see what they come up with. I'm very interested in the steambox (piston?)

Have a lot of console fanboy friends that I might be able to convince to come to the dark side if these become a reality.

Of those pirates, please show me empirically that they are being turned into paying customers. If you cannot, then your argument is moot due to being based on inflated statistics that are quite simply made up. I contend that my minority is a larger number then that of the actual lost sales to piracy of customers who would of otherwise paid.

Considering Steam is dominating the digital sales for PCs and there is really no comparable competitor I am not sure if the penalties for changing their DRM policies (losing big publishers and AAA titles) outweigh the benefits (picking up some incremental amount of sales). With the hundreds of millions that AAA titles cost to develop it isn't reasonable to make them totally DRM free ... I think Steam is the least painful way to have a necessary evil (DRM) :cool:

How does Valve look over your digital shoulder in Offline Mode and make sure you're obeying?

The part about controllers really shows that the steam box is going to basically just be another console. Why would someone buy the steam box to play only games that can use a controller and can only play single player games? it is like having all the downsides to having a console, without the one upside of being able to play with others.

Dear Mr Newell,

Thank you,

Herp-a-derp, offline mode, derp-derp.

How does Valve look over your digital shoulder in Offline Mode and make sure you're obeying?

Don't know, don't care and don't feel like installing it to dig through the memory stack to see just what exactly it does. Look, I am not trying to convince those of you who like it. I just periodically like to make the statement that there are those of us out there who are 100% opposed to DRM in any form and are potential customers. I don't ever expect anything to come of it, but I do hope that one day things change. My posts on the subject are nothing more than to encourage people to ask why we are forced to deal with DRM when it has never worked. It may and or probably will not, but if no one says anything then it is guaranteed that nothing will ever change.

As I said, I don't expect to convince you and nor will you convince me. It is just something I throw out there from time to time in the extremely unlikely chance someone is paying attention.

I saw that comment on the site but didn't want to register to respond...

I work around an environment where people are responsible for selling Windows-based PCs, the consumer sales area is noticeably shrinking compared to what it once was; sales of desktop computers are particularly suffering. For everyday computing, most people can get by with a laptop and those that don't mind propping up a tablet will use that; most people just don't need a desktop computer to check e-mail and browse the net. My father wouldn't have built a desktop if he wasn't going to play games; my parents otherwise use laptops while they're sitting comfortable in their chairs.

Windows 8 sales might look good because people are still buying new Windows-based devices, but Android and iOS devices are probably cutting into that greatly.

Dear Mr. Dekoth-E,

Thank you,
Reality

you underestimate our numbers

Don't know, don't care and don't feel like installing it to dig through the memory stack to see just what exactly it does. Look, I am not trying to convince those of you who like it. I just periodically like to make the statement that there are those of us out there who are 100% opposed to DRM in any form and are potential customers. I don't ever expect anything to come of it, but I do hope that one day things change. My posts on the subject are nothing more than to encourage people to ask why we are forced to deal with DRM when it has never worked. It may and or probably will not, but if no one says anything then it is guaranteed that nothing will ever change.

As I said, I don't expect to convince you and nor will you convince me. It is just something I throw out there from time to time in the extremely unlikely chance someone is paying attention.

I've seen some users like you among the community who backed Project Eternity. Some of them are not into AAA titles so I guess its not a big deal since most indie games do offer DRM free version of their games.

But the reality is, DRM will always be a part of AAA titles, and its not that most of us love DRM but we just love the games more. If DRM is a minor but mandatory inconvenience then I guess so be it.

In crowd funded project like Project Eternity, the fan speaks and ultimately got what they wanted, a DRM free version. But its something publishers will never change their mind about.

The part about controllers really shows that the steam box is going to basically just be another console. Why would someone buy the steam box to play only games that can use a controller and can only play single player games? it is like having all the downsides to having a console, without the one upside of being able to play with others.

the blurry pics look like there's a couple USB ports in the front, and I'd imagine there'll be USB ports in the back too considering Gabe said it's essentially a controlled computer optimized for performance without an optical drive where we're welcome to install Windows on it if we wish. Can't do that unless there's a USB port to load Windows from an external drive or flash drive or external optical drive.

Er, you will be able to plug in a keyboard and mouse.

To me, it sounds like he has his head firmly planted on his shoulders. I expect this to do very well if they can get it out the door within the next 12 months.

Don't know, don't care and don't feel like installing it to dig through the memory stack to see just what exactly it does.
Moments ago you said you take issue with it. Now you say you don't know what it does and don't care.

I used to pirate games but then I got steam and now I buy my games.

Also if you don't like steam don't use steam.

But don't complain when you can't get games at 50-75% off.

I don't understand how you feel like steam is treating you like a pirate when you use their service.

It sounds to me like you just read this somewhere and decided to jump on the steam hate bandwagon.

I just don't get why people hate Steam's DRM. It's not like it's GFWL.

Is it DRM? Sure, i'll give you that.

Does it slow down you PC? Then you might want to upgrade, runs great on my Dell XPS13 and it's an Ultrabook.

Like others have said, times change. If you don't like it, fine, don't use it. But don't sit here and constantly bitch about it. Grow up, move on and keep playing, or buy a console.

I didn't even see this let me fix this for you.

I really have no idea what I am talking about, so I am going to make it sound like I know how to deconstruct a program so I sound vaguely credible. I just like making pointless statements.I am a troll. I like to complain. I don't really care.

Also life sucks. Emo face.

When I go shopping at B&M stores, I get annoyed at the detectors at the exit because it's a form of DRM. It treats us all like thieves just to stop the 01% who do try to steal.

:-P

Just kidding. I don't give a fuck about the detectors, nor Steam being DRM. The frequent game sales are fantastic.

valve had a booth at CES.

unfortunately they werent talking to attendees really they were there for a specific group of people to take meetings and show big picture to. all for the steam box.

the dude did talk to us for a good while though and basically told us the same thing gabe is there will be several steam boxes.. basic, better, best type thing

So, I'm guessing nvidia has won the GPU bid for the Steam box? It makes sense from a Linux driver standpoint and their work in LAN remote display tech.

Moments ago you said you take issue with it. Now you say you don't know what it does and don't care.

Not knowing exactly what it is doing under the hood is not the same as not knowing what it does. How you are confused in this is baffling.

I used to pirate games but then I got steam and now I buy my games.

Also if you don't like steam don't use steam.

But don't complain when you can't get games at 50-75% off.

I don't understand how you feel like steam is treating you like a pirate when you use their service.

It sounds to me like you just read this somewhere and decided to jump on the steam hate bandwagon.

I was against DRM long before steam. I didn't need to jump on a bandwagon, sorry.

I just don't get why people hate Steam's DRM. It's not like it's GFWL.

Is it DRM? Sure, i'll give you that.

Does it slow down you PC? Then you might want to upgrade, runs great on my Dell XPS13 and it's an Ultrabook.

Like others have said, times change. If you don't like it, fine, don't use it. But don't sit here and constantly bitch about it. Grow up, move on and keep playing, or buy a console.

That is my primary gripe, I have been forced to mainly console despite preferring PC because PC gamers get treated like pirates by default. Also I don't constantly bitch about it, as mentioned I just post from time to time. If no one ever complains, then companies assume all is right. The customer who complains is the valuable one because they care enough to voice their dissatisfaction hoping for improvement rather than simply silently ceasing to be a customer.

I didn't even see this let me fix this for you.

Aww how cute, I have someone trolling me with comically bad assumptions. :rolleyes:

Who said they can only use a controller? :confused: And how did you get the impression that only SP games are available on steam? lol

Most people would probably want a controller for this thing, since it'll be used in the living room, but I can't imagine them taking away other control options either.

This sounds like the 3DO machine and how many companies made them. The failure of the 3DO was it's price of $700 for something 20 years old today. Not to forget the crappy game library.

3doconsole.jpg

3DO_REAL_II.jpg

Z0057388.jpg

This thread is now about Steam. Soon it will be about Half Life 3 or TF2 hats.

the blurry pics look like there's a couple USB ports in the front, and I'd imagine there'll be USB ports in the back too considering Gabe said it's essentially a controlled computer optimized for performance without an optical drive where we're welcome to install Windows on it if we wish. Can't do that unless there's a USB port to load Windows from an external drive or flash drive or external optical drive.

Er, you will be able to plug in a keyboard and mouse.

To me, it sounds like he has his head firmly planted on his shoulders. I expect this to do very well if they can get it out the door within the next 12 months.

Gabe - "The problem to solve is how to interact with a web browser, how to get all the games to support controllers, and how to make it all seamless."

I bolded the important part, again, it looks like Gabe wants a slice of the console market by creating a console.

Considering all the drawbacks PC gamers have dealt with when it comes to controls, UI, and Inventory due to console ports, why encourage developers even more by creating a wannabe console?

The steam box valves way of trying to get a slice of the console pie, and he is willing to screw over PC gamers all day long to do it. Hell, even valve not creating a new engine makes sense at this point, when you think about how underpowered the steam box will be.

That is my primary gripe, I have been forced to mainly console despite preferring PC because PC gamers get treated like pirates by default. Also I don't constantly bitch about it, as mentioned I just post from time to time. If no one ever complains, then companies assume all is right. The customer who complains is the valuable one because they care enough to voice their dissatisfaction hoping for improvement rather than simply silently ceasing to be a customer.

Except the console itself operates as a form of DRM since it is a closed ecosystem ... which is one reason a lot of publishers find it attractive compared to the PC ... if there was no DRM on the PC side some publishers would just abandon the PC platform completely (many already have) ... if they can come up with a minimally intrusive form of DRM (and I think Steam fits that bill) that protects the IP holders but doesn't infringe the consumer excessively I am willing to support that (which is why I have more than 300 titles in my Steam library) :cool:

This thread is now about Steam. Soon it will be about Half Life 3 or TF2 hats.

DERP DERP DRM. Free Jordash!!

I'm going to ask this here since i'm to lazy to search the internet. Is there any limitation to running steam on Surface Pro. I mean if it works on a Win 8 PC it should work on Win8 tablet right?

So I can choose between Windows 8 a supported platform (games and drivers) using just about any hardware combination I see fit or I can get an under-powered set-top box running linux supported by whatever cut rate hardware partner valve chooses running a fraction of available games so gabe gets a bigger slice of the profits?

The number of Win 8 users is only going to grow. I don't see how shitting on your primary future revenue stream is a good idea.

Gabe - "The problem to solve is how to interact with a web browser, how to get all the games to support controllers, and how to make it all seamless."

I bolded the important part, again, it looks like Gabe wants a slice of the console market by creating a console.

I don't doubt that he wants a piece of that pie. It's multibillion dollar industry... who wouldn't want a piece of that? Probably why they're designing this console lol

As far as his quote goes, I think he just means that he wants people to be able to play their purchased games on the 'steambox', in the living room, with a controller. However, a lot of games on steam don't even support it... so they're trying to figure out a way around that and make the whole expreience, from one game to the next, a seamless experience.

Outside of a few nerds... not many people are going to want to use a KB and mouse from their recliner in front of their TV. It's awkward and uncomfortable. A gamepad of some sort if going to be necessary for the vast majority. Thankfully, it's becoming more common for developers to add native gamepad support.

Considering all the drawbacks PC gamers have dealt with when it comes to controls, UI, and Inventory due to console ports, why encourage developers even more by creating a wannabe console?

The steam box valves way of trying to get a slice of the console pie, and he is willing to screw over PC gamers all day long to do it. Hell, even valve not creating a new engine makes sense at this point, when you think about how underpowered the steam box will be.

It's not a console. It's a gaming media server. I don't see what is wrong with getting games to add controller support. Supporting controllers and requiring them are two completely different things. You're reading things into this. It's an off the shelf HTPC/media box.

Back