Gabe = Breen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
Posted this in the Steam forums in response to someone else expressing frustrations with Valve's lack of support with all the issues caused by Steam/ stuttering, crashing, etc, thought it was funny so I am reposting it here :)

Re: HL2 & Technical Issues

The real irony is, does Valve realize that they have become their own nemesis from Half Life 2?

Does Gabe know he metaphorically could resemble Breen (edit: okay maybe he needs to shed just a few pounds)? And that Steam is the Combine Gabe introduced that keeps us gamers prisoners on our own computer?

I can see walking out of the City 17 tram now: "Steam is the wave of the future for American gamers... It will take gamers to new heights, opens new doors for the American people. If you are having any issues with Steam, just put on your blue jumpsuit, get in line, and fill out a form, and we will be all too happy to assist you. The Source engine is the most technologically advanced engine available to date. If you are having stuttering, fill out a request form, and we will be too happy to help troubleshoot your PC's hardware and/or software problems. If you have not yet received a support response, please fill out another support form indicating so, and buy an ATI card - they really are the greatest. Thank you for playing Half Life 2 and supporting Steam and the Source engine, the latest innovation for gamers!"

Do the people who defend Valve & Steam realize they seem like the people who stood by as Earth was taken over by the Combine, the people who sit back and just let it go?

Do the people who proactively fight for the rights of gamers, comlpain about Steam's problems, put pressure on Valve to fix the source engine bugs, do they realize they are the resistance?

Valve has put themselves in the position where they are the enemy, and the user really IS Gordon Freeman both in real life and in the game, trying to fight against the oppression of Steam and Stutters in real life, and against the oppression of the Combine in the game... Unless you are more like one of those combine sympathizers, well, you know how HL2 ends...

;)

tranCendenZ said:
Do the people who defend Valve & Steam realize they seem like the people who stood by as Earth was taken over by the Combine, the people who sit back and just let it go?
I wouldn't know about that considering the game never explains the plot situation.

Where resistence members always this whiny? :p

*Insert french revolution joke here*

MeanieMan said:

Hell yeh, didn't you play the follow freeman level? Gordon we're here, gordon this, gordon that, etc ;) Besides, I can't fight Valve & Steam with guns and a crowbar, so I must substitute that with words and ideas :D

Hell yeh, didn't you play the follow freeman level? Gordon we're here, gordon this, gordon that, etc Besides, I can't fight Valve & Steam with guns and a crowbar, so I must substitute that with words and ideas

Dont listen to the liberals, they only tell you what they want you to believe....

tranCendenZ said:
Posted this in the Steam forums in response to someone else expressing frustrations with Valve's lack of support with all the issues caused by Steam/ stuttering, crashing, etc, thought it was funny so I am reposting it here :)

The real irony is, does Valve realize that they have become their own nemesis from Half Life 2?

Does Gabe know he metaphorically could resemble Breen (edit: okay maybe he needs to shed just a few pounds)? And that Steam is the Combine Gabe introduced that keeps us gamers prisoners on our own computer?

I can see walking out of the City 17 tram now: "Steam is the wave of the future for American gamers... It will take gamers to new heights, opens new doors for the American people. If you are having any issues with Steam, just put on your blue jumpsuit, get in line, and fill out a form, and we will be all too happy to assist you. The Source engine is the most technologically advanced engine available to date. If you are having stuttering, fill out a request form, and we will be too happy to help troubleshoot your PC's hardware and/or software problems. If you have not yet received a support response, please fill out another support form indicating so, and buy an ATI card - they really are the greatest. Thank you for playing Half Life 2 and supporting Steam and the Source engine, the latest innovation for gamers!"

Do the people who proactively fight for the rights of gamers, comlpain about Steam's problems, put pressure on Valve to fix the source engine bugs, do they realize they are the resistance?

Valve has put themselves in the position where they are the enemy, and the user really IS Gordon Freeman both in real life and in the game, trying to fight against the oppression of Steam and Stutters in real life, and against the oppression of the Combine in the game... Unless you are more like one of those combine sympathizers, well, you know how HL2 ends...

;)

Wow...you really have a boner for bitching about Valve/HL2 like every week. Let it go already. They know the problem is there they fix it in increments like every other company with bugs.

all i can say is wow what a crappy post. Are you just trying to start more flame wars about this outdated issue. Let it go already :rolleyes:

JEEVES

edit: beaten like a french whore

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
all i can say is wow what a crappy post. Are you just trying to start more flame wars about this outdated issue. Let it go already :rolleyes:

QFT.

Netrat33 said:
Wow...you really have a boner for bitching about Valve/HL2 like every week. Let it go already. They know the problem is there they fix it in increments like every other company with bugs.

Steam is not something they intend to fix or remove. And that is where much of the meat of this post comes in.

I never had any problems at all with steam. In my experience it worked flawlessly and is a good way to distribute software.

One should be careful to lump everyone who does not bitch about steam into a category as mind numbingly stupid as "the ones who stood idlely by and watched the combine take over earth"

MeanieMan said:
Wow, lot of Combine forces out on patrol today... :p

It's much easier to just fall into line and accept what you perceive as your fate than to make a stand...

;)

Even for those which steam had no problems for (which includes me), it is a fact that steam actively takes away rights & freedoms from legally paying gamers; worse yet we are forced to use it to play this particular game. It also eats system resources, has a clunky interface, and makes it impossible to play HL2 both online/offline without jumping through hoops even if you own the retail CD/DVD version. If there was an alternative to steam, I would have no problem with steam, but as it stands it takes away much of the ownership of owning a videogame... It's the worst thing to happen to PC gaming in the past decade, and lets hope it doesn't catch on.

tranCendenZ said:

;)
1031968210904_icon_bsmeter.gif

MAN THE LIFE BOATS!!!!

tranCendenZ said:
Steam is not something they intend to fix or remove. And that is where much of the meat of this post comes in.

OK. I hate steam. I'm not a fan of it in by any means. Steam works though. You're talking about stuttering and crashing and those sorts, that's the game and yes they are working on fixing that. Which unfortunately you have to use Steam. The only thing you or anyone can do is NOT buy another valve game using steam to launch/validate the game. That's it. The only way. You starting another thread in Hardforum..just bitchin.

tranCendenZ said:
It's much easier to just fall into line and accept what you perceive as your fate than to make a stand...

;)

Even for those which steam had no problems for (which includes me), it is a fact that steam actively takes away rights & freedoms from legally paying gamers; worse yet we are forced to use it to play this particular game. It also eats system resources, has a clunky interface, and makes it impossible to play HL2 both online/offline without jumping through hoops even if you own the retail CD/DVD version. If there was an alternative to steam, I would have no problem with steam, but as it stands it takes away much of the ownership of owning a videogame... It's the worst thing to happen to PC gaming in the past decade, and lets hope it doesn't catch on.

WHAT STAND!? you bought the game already! You bought it! The end! You lose! The people who were bitching about steam before and DIDN'T buy it. THEY made the stand. Lot of people learned include myself!

Also to my post above. Yes they are working at some complaints. For example I don't have to use my dvd to play the game anymore.

Netrat33 said:
WHAT STAND!? you bought the game already! You bought it! The end! You lose! The people who were bitching about steam before and DIDN'T buy it. THEY made the stand. Lot of people learned include myself!

Buying the game and bitching is making a stand because you feel like you deserve more, plus you have displayed the willingness to spend money, something no company wants to loss.

Bitching without buying the game is just jumping on the bandwagon and acting like a dick.

MeanieMan said:
Buying the game and bitching is making a stand because you feel like you deserve more, plus you have displayed the willingness to spend money, something no company wants to loss.

Bitching without buying the game is just jumping on the bandwagon and acting like a dick.

Yea...you feel cheated. Fine Understood...Guess what...you hurt them with the next game they release. Example:

Blizzard. MOST people like Blizzard and get excited about them because we know they have quality games with stories and support. If they announce a new game they'll buy it right away just because of the good name.

Valve. You're hating them. You spent money. you wanted it to work one way...It's not...they didn't EVER. Guess what...you don't shop with them again.

NO game company fixes bugs right out the bat. Blizzard even with top quality work has a bunch of little bugs present thoughout there games.

And no bitch without buying the game is NOT jumping on the bandwagon. If a person doesn't like the idea of something having to be validated just to play the game and you get all your updates from it. Understood. Most people probably weren't as educated about the Steam issue (I myself included figuring it was only for downloading the game and not a retail issue) The bitching accured...they know they have problems. They are working on it. If Steam is used for all there games...don't buy the next one. That's how you hurt them. That's what I'LL be looking for. THAT'S how you talk to Valve

MeanieMan said:
How do you figure?

You didn't buy the game because you heard all the problems, heard all the issues there were with even playing the game.

I agree with whomever here said not buying the game was making a stand. Because its one more person that the whore Gabe isn't getting money from. Its evident the guy doesn't really care about his fan base if he gives them the run around when they have issues.

So, the way I see it. Those that didn't buy the game haven't jumped on the badnwagon, instead they excersised their rights as consumers and refused to support the slut known as VALVe by feeding it money it truly doesn't deserve for a sub-par game. Those that did by the game are the ones who truly climbed on the bandwagon because it is Half-Life 2 and its the greatest game ever conceived by man. And if they say they haven't had one single problem with STEAM or VALVe since installing their copy of HL2 they are lying. They might not of had the issues that some have had but I can bet they've had some sort of problem.

I'm sure the game is great and I've almost broke down a few times to buy it. But the interface and manner in which one has to go about to even play the game is rediculous. Those who have acutlaly purchased it don't necessarily own the game. Since its played from STEAM, DLed from STEAM updated from STEAM.

I used to be a loyal VALVe fan. I own every single game made by VALVe. But since HLS and the inception of STEAM I refuse to support them. I was one who did not give Gabe my money, and I will continue to give my money to manufacterers such as iD and Rockstart and Ubisoft and 3dRealms (are they even still around?).

And I'd gladly take a million D00M 3's over one single copy of HL2 no matter how bad everyone thinks the story or gameplay is. Because in my eyes, iD has stayed true to its fans and has continuously provided its fans with quality hassle free games since the days of Commander Keen.

Do I miss HL? Yes, would I of bought HL2 if Gabe and his team of money grubbing whores over there at the brothel known as VALVe weren't a bunch of narrow minded power hungry money grubbing assholes didn't put such high and rediculous demands on their fans with STEAM? Absolutely.

So, all in all, those that didn't purchase HL2 are the ones who actually made a stand. Because they haven't defiled their HD's with STEAM and haven't had to wait between 20 minutes and 4+ hours for HL2 to install and update (I may be exagerating on the 4 hour thing but wasn't someone waiting for like 2.5 hours or something?).

To be honest, HL2 does look great. And if I didn't hate VALVe and STEAM so much I'd break down and buy it just because it does look good and I've heard a lot of good things about it. But to me, the bad far outweighs the good in this situation.

Moose777 said:
How do you figure?

You didn't buy the game because you heard all the problems, heard all the issues there were with even playing the game.

I agree with whomever here said not buying the game was making a stand. Because its one more person that the whore Gabe isn't getting money from. Its evident the guy doesn't really care about his fan base if he gives them the run around when they have issues.

So, the way I see it. Those that didn't buy the game haven't jumped on the badnwagon, instead they excersised their rights as consumers and refused to support the slut known as VALVe by feeding it money it truly doesn't deserve for a sub-par game.

You apparently didn't read my post. I said that people that bitch without owning the game are the ones jumping on the bandwagon. Seeing how they would be commenting on stuff they haven't experienced.
Not buying the game is fine, but you bitch about its problems without actually understanding what the hell you are talking about...thats being a dick.

MeanieMan said:
You apparently didn't read my post. I said that people that bitch without owning the game are the ones jumping on the bandwagon. Seeing how they would be commenting on stuff they haven't experienced.
Not buying the game is fine, but you bitch about its problems without actually understanding what the hell you are talking about...thats being a dick.
I dind't buy the game. I've bitched about it.

I also did a lot of reading to backup why I was bitching. But originally, I bitched because I didn't like the idea. I didn't understand it. But I educated myself as to what STEAM's purpose is, why its required and what it does.

And I still didn't agree with it. So, even though I originally bitched without really knowing anything an dbased it off of a "bad idea" I was still right, at least in my mind set.

I don't feel as though I jumped on the bandwagon.

Just because someone bitched about somethign without knowing a whole lot about it doesn't mean they jumped on the wagon with everyone else. It just means they knew there was something they didn't like about it and even though they didn't understand or know why, they were still voicing their opinions and feelings towards it. They still had a viable reason to bitch. STEAM in itself was kept secret for a long time, there was very little information about it aside fromt he blurb Gabe and the cronies over at VALVe put on the STEAM site, it wasn't until people started to really use it when people started to realize and learn more about it.

There really is no such thing as a bandwagon. The reasons why its hated don't have to match, some people hate it for what it is and some people hate it because they just think it's a bad idea.

STEAM does take a way a lot of rights for people and does force them into doing something they shouldn't have to do. But because of Gabe's greed and paranoia that everyone is out to get him and VALVe for their gaming goodness makes the company weak and horrible. Eventually, STEAM will catch up to Gabe and VALVe will crumble under it. I don't really forsee things like STEAM catching on. I don't see it as a good thing and people will eventually get tired of it and VALVe's prfit margin for each quarter will eventually drop until he's forced to get rid of STEAM.

That is however my opinion.

Steam takes rights away from people ?!?!

Jeez ... get over it.

Its pretty damn simple. The minimum system requirements state ... on the box ... an internet connection is required.

I still dont see why people complain about steam ... if you dont like steam dont buy HL2. Valve is not going to drop steam ... and they are certainly not going to listen to people who dont even own the game which uses steam, yet complain about it.

Not that another opinion means anything here but I agree to some extent. I went through the install process again on a roommates PC last week. Talk about long and drawn out. I still can't believe how much you have to do just to play the game. I think I would shoot myself if I didn't have the DVD version. I'm pretty sure the decryption process takes just about as long as it does to get it off the disc, possibly longer. Then you get to wait on the updates. Finally you're ready to play......except that your new game is horribly fragmented and takes forever to start. It's just a big hassle. Had I known before I bought the game how much of hassle it was I would have waited to get it on sale or borrowed it from a friend.
For anyone that is on dial up and got the CD version.....you are a greater man than I.

Steam is cool for online games, and the ability to pay for and download games from steam is nifty. However, I dont see why valve felt the need for steam to govern everything related to the source engine/half-life. Even the SDK is based in steam, and it has/had serious issues. I still cant get 2 of the 3 tools to run (they crash instantaneously). I wish valve would stop trying to force us to use steam in every little thing, especially single player games.

pistola said:
Im so sorry. :(
LMFAOROFLOL!!

I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to keep it on topic.

I dind't vote for either Bush nor Skerry.

I'm a Libertarian.

Moose777 said:
LMFAOROFLOL!!

I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to keep it on topic.

I dind't vote for either Bush nor Skerry.

I'm a Libertarian.

Guess I'll go off topic in order to help lock yet another value sucks thread.

You sir, wasted your vote.

This is getting ridiculous. Tran do us all a favor and jump off a cliff, and stop making these "Anti-Valve" posts. They were lame the first time, now that it is the 15th time I may go crazy. No one cares about your bitching. Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it.

tranCendenZ said:
.....and makes it impossible to play HL2 both online/offline without jumping through hoops even if you own the retail CD/DVD version.

...I dont know ..I went from 1.5/512k dsl service to dial up (pretty fast dial tho :p ) .. and havent had one problem with updates or just working in 'offline' mode .. :rolleyes:

I wonder about all the problems that people are having with updates and working in offline mode and things of that nature, if its a completely random type problem or if its a combination of specific hardware/connection type(perhaps like the Jokers deadly cosmetic mixture killing tools in Batman movie where just hairspray wouldnt kill you , but a combination of hairspray, lipstick, and perfume would ...so subsitute computer parts/programs, or whatever to do with your computer.) ... or if they have their systems "tweaked" turning off different services wich might be needed for steam to do its thing correctly ..

Not trying to take sides of anykind, only trying to find solutions is all. My setup is totally stock (except for cpu overclock of which I just upped the multiplyer on my FX chip and not the fsb) and like I said , I have'nt experienced any problems with steam or any games associated with it.

It would be advisable to turn of your Overclock if you are overclocked and remove all spyware / Sh1t from your computer before saying it is steams fault.

The Source engine is very picky as its physics engine is very robust and complex and any little thing may make your computer crash.

I would think all [H]ard users would try and trouble shot on their end before yelling "the sky is falling" and blaming it all on steam.

Yes we know Gabe is fat, yes he probably ate the server technican, but that does not mean the problem could still be on your end.

MeanieMan said:

I know someone who belongs to the French revolution. He is selling is riffle. It's never been shot and only dropped twice.

[BB] Rick James said:
I know someone who belongs to the French revolution. He is selling is riffle. It's never been shot and only dropped twice.

I am no frech fan boy myself , as I do live in Ontario and am English speaking ....

Anyway ... I find it amussing how Americans always pick on the French .... I know the french dont have the best warrior image. But still .... the French have every right to be pissed with Americans. After all who was it that didn't step in when France was conquered by Hitler and made to sign an embarassing cease fire that pretty much meant every french person had to bend over, take it dry, and like it.

bonkrowave said:
I am no frech fan boy myself , as I do live in Ontario and am English speaking ....

Anyway ... I find it amussing how Americans always pick on the French .... I know the french dont have the best warrior image. But still .... the French have every right to be pissed with Americans. After all who was it that didn't step in when France was conquered by Hitler and made to sign an embarassing cease fire that pretty much meant every french person had to bend over, take it dry, and like it.

I'm not going to say that mistakes have not been made over the years. I bet if France were to go to war we'd be right next to them though helping them out.

MeanieMan said:
Guess I'll go off topic in order to help lock yet another value sucks thread.

You sir, wasted your vote.
And how do figure?

The only wasted vote was one not cast.

[BB] Rick James said:
I'm not going to say that mistakes have not been made over the years. I bet if France were to go to war we'd be right next to them though helping them out.

As long as France went to war in the name of freedom, liberty, or some other word that did well with test audiences then we'd be right behind them.

pistola said:
Im so sorry. :(

I'm not, my guy won by quite a margin :)

re: the points brung up since my last point, people seem to be contradicting themselves. Many do not like the idea of Steam, the hassles and the way it takes away part of your ownership. You do not need to buy HL2 to know the concept behind steam. Still, some people are arguing that if you do not like Steam, do not buy HL2. Yet in their next breath they go on to say that you cannot criticize Steam unless you own HL2. This rationale obviously makes no sense, because it does not give the person who dislikes the concept of Steam a viable way to speak their voice without being berated.

I actually have had no technical issues with Steam for the post part. I've had many with HL2, primarily bad stuttering. However, I dislike the concept of Steam, the hassles and resources used by having it, and there are many who are jumping through hoops just to play the game they bought.

Yes, the box says internet connection required. Prior to release, Valve stated you had to go online once to activate the game, and then that was it. I was thinking, hey no big deal, its like Windows XP activation. Boy was I wrong. After installing, I was forced to install steam, forced to wait 45mins for the files to decrypt, and subsequently its basically near impossible to play the game without a hassle both online and offline without using Steam.

So as an HL2 DVD Collector's Edition buyer, I have to say, Steam sucks and their should be an alternative. Valve was misleading prior to release, if not lieing by saying you just had to go online once to activate; its blatently obvious Steam is designed to be used all the time, and its a royal pain to prevent it from even going online. Every other company has found an alternative, Valve should too.

On top of all this, 2 months after release the game still runs like a bargain bin title on my machine, stuttering and sputtering along... A year delay for this? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back