GA-P35-DS3R corrupted bios

btx926

n00b
Hey all,

I've run into a problem with my old gaming box that I handed down to a family member. Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with a Corsair 520W PSU. It is years old, and was idling when it suddenly hung. After that, I have not been able to boot it. When I restart the thing, I hear one longish beep, and that's it. I can see the CD Rom flash a couple of times, but as far as I can tell the machine never boots. The monitor will never wake up. Also, the reset/power on functionality is acting weird (shutting down, restarting over and over, etc).

I have tried:
1) different video board
2) different PSU
3) Pulling the parts out of the case
4) checking for stuck buttons in the case
5) Booting with only RAM and video
6) cycling through the RAM one stick at a time in the "1" slot.

No love. I'm thinking the BIOS is corrupted. I pulled the BIOS down from here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2543&dl=1#bios and stuck it on a thumbdrive -- thumbdrive doesn't seem to light up. The BIOS there looks like a piece of windows software too.

Anyone got any tips on how to attempt to restore the BIOS here? I'm out of ideas on this, and am thinking about replacing it with a i3 2100 and a H61 mobo. Thanks!

Have you tried resetting your CMOS or replacing the CMOS battery (which is a CR2032 battery that you find nearly anywhere)? If neither option is successful, then the board is essentially borked.

Yeah, forgot to mention, I took the battery out to clear it...no effect there.

Can't really help you much further. You did just about everything you could do to diagnose the board.

Back