GA-G33M-DS2R

Like ASUS motherboards, is there an option in the BIOS that it will read your CD/USB device and allow you to select a .bin file?

In my P5B Deluxe all I needed to do was burn bios.bin to a CD, enter BIOS and go to it's internal flasher.

I used to use a custom DOS boot CD, but I've found since I switched to SATA optical drives it no longer works. Likely because the "Tomato" driver (lol yeah that's the driver it loads) doesn't work w/ SATA

can someone tell me if the onboard video supports 1920x1200? i want to run a 2407WF dell monitor on this during my initial setup before i buy a videocard.

For anyone who has this board, how are your northbridge temperatures with the stock heatsink? What does the sensor say? Also, physically, is it hot to the touch?

I've been reading the reviews on newegg, and a couple of people on this forum have stated the gigabyte DS2R northbridge tends to run a bit hot. On the other hand, someone on Asus forums as well as those on this forum have stated the P5K-VM northbridge runs relatively cool. Both motherboards are using same g33 northbridge chip, and both are sporting aluminum heatsinks which appear to be about the same mass, I am just curious why there would be any discrepency in temperature between the two boards at all.

edit: people are saying intel motherboards with g33 run hot too

My northbridge is hot to the touch, never bothered to look at the actual temps though.

I also sent an e-mail to Gigabyte regarding the 800mhz 1:1 divider support. Hopefully they listen! Other than that I am really enjoying this board.

"unfortunately it is not available, we can submit the request to our bios team, but there are no guarantee whether if it'll be implemented on the next bios update."

I got that reply when asking them if 1:1 support would be enabled for 800mhz CPUS. I asked them to request it to the BIOS team. Hopefully they will implement it with enough e-mails.

yeah it has an eSATA connection in the form of an expansion plate you connect to the eSATA headers.

For anyone who has this board, how are your northbridge temperatures with the stock heatsink? What does the sensor say? Also, physically, is it hot to the touch?

I've been reading the reviews on newegg, and a couple of people on this forum have stated the gigabyte DS2R northbridge tends to run a bit hot. On the other hand, someone on Asus forums as well as those on this forum have stated the P5K-VM northbridge runs relatively cool. Both motherboards are using same g33 northbridge chip, and both are sporting aluminum heatsinks which appear to be about the same mass, I am just curious why there would be any discrepency in temperature between the two boards at all.

edit: people are saying intel motherboards with g33 run hot too
Yes, there is a mild burning feeling when I touch it at load with a passive Zalman ZM-NBF47 cooler. :)

Any recommendations for a Northbridge Cooler that will work well with this board, 8800GTS, NT-06 Nitrogon CPU cooler, Silverstone OP-750 PSU and a Sugo SG-01E case? (I can't think of anything else that could concievably get in the way of the NB cooler)

Thanks

I recommend nothing. Northbridge cooling does next to nothing and the likelihood it will make a difference in your CPU overclock is small. If you think your chip is likely to come close to maxing out the board's fsb, then it might be worth it. That was the only reason I have the Zalman, because I bought it for a previous board.

If you get anything, I recommend the Zalman ZM-NBF47. It's cheap and surprisingly does very well. I was amazed when I read the reviews. It is not much bigger than the stock coolers, but the surface area is maximized. Review compared to a Gigabyte stock cooler: http://hardwarelogic.com/news/62/ARTICLE/1268/3/2006-09-19.html

The Thermalrights don't fit in most SFF cases and the Swiftech is just too expensive. The only thing that sucks about the Zalman is the installation.

As far as overclocking, it looks like the Gigabyte DS2R maxes out at 465-475fsb, so if you are using an e6300 and are looking to max out your chip, you are still going to be better off with the P5K-VM. The highest my board will post is 460fsb, EasyTune -> 465fsb and the highest I have seen a screenshot is at 475. The P5K-VM has been shown to do at least 500fsb.

So, it all fits in my newly arrived Antec NSK3400 including the 8800GTS and the Seasonic S12-II 430W PSU. It's a little cramped in the top compartment with the cabling, but it fits. The air-vents on the top are great for use with an Seasonic :)

Which tool do you (all) use to readout the different temperature sensors? I've got 'Core Temp' but it only shows me the CPU temperature :(

... it looks like the Gigabyte DS2R maxes out at 465-475fsb, so if you are using an e6300 and are looking to max out your chip, you are still going to be better off with the P5K-VM. The highest my board will post is 460fsb, EasyTune -> 465fsb and the highest I have seen a screenshot is at 475. The P5K-VM has been shown to do at least 500fsb.

Anyone else stable beyond 475 fsb? With or without the new beta bios with 1:1 ratio?

So, it all fits in my newly arrived Antec NSK3400 including the 8800GTS and the Seasonic S12-II 430W PSU. It's a little cramped in the top compartment with the cabling, but it fits. The air-vents on the top are great for use with an Seasonic :)

Which tool do you (all) use to readout the different temperature sensors? I've got 'Core Temp' but it only shows me the CPU temperature :(
Congrats on your new built. I'm also the happy owner of a nsk3400 :)

So which psu is more silent: the 380 or the 430?

I can recommend that you try to duct the 8800, so all hot air is blown out of the case. The two lowest pci-slot covers have fine air vents for that. I lowered the case temps some and the card itself didn't heat up noticable. I just taped some cardboard. There is a picture in an earlier post of mine. It's beyond me why nvidia didn't design the cooling so all the hot air is let out of the case considering how hot it is. The 8800 turned out to be a bit overkill for my usage, so I ended up exchanging it for a passively cooled 8600.

About the cables, I have the ones I don't use behind the front cover since I have both a hdd and dvd in the top compartment. I just removed the metal grid in front of the 2. bay, ran the wires next to the hdd and tucked them down. Works great and they are totally out of the way. I considered drilling holes in the back-plate to have all cables running behind the motherboard but I dropped it. Too much work. Could have been cool if Antec had designed it that way. Of course you can also simply store them were the floppy would have been. Anyway, I found airflow to be very good considering it is matx and very quiet.

I've tried several different utilities for the DSR2: Speedfan doesn't support correct readings of fans on this motherboard, core temp is fine, but as you mention yourself, quite basic. The Gigabyte one is just not for me. I can only recommend Everest. You'll be able to monitor everything in regard to your hardware incl. gpu, fans, correct temps. etc. I had them all installed in the beginning when finding the correct oc for my cpu and gpu. It was always Everest I ended up using. The only thing I miss is an ability to adjust the fans' speed, so I use the bios for that. Just set it to regulate with voltage, not auto.

many peoples experienced issues using 4 sticks! lower fsb hit mostly or errors reported!
but that's common with most mb....

Am I only one who have noticed that cpu temps raised after bios udpate? Before I had 32-33C idle, now I have 45-47C idle on each core with core temp :confused:

is anyone oc'ing this board with 4x1GB memory? any probs with that?

I'm over-clocking with 4GB (2 Dual Channel Kits) and I've had very few issues so far. The system has run rock stable. I actually put all four sticks in during the install of Vista and the board accepted them right away. In my old F-I90HD I had to adjust the voltages in order for four sticks of ram to work. This board auto volted them to 2.1v!

The only problem I've run into has been getting the RAM to run at higher speeds will over-clocked. This isn't really the board, but more of a RAM issue. The RAM is G.Skill DDR2 800 and can OC well for being mid ranged RAM.

Good luck! :D

I have now the ds2r, and Im testing, ok, I see one think, like the other post:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031139629&postcount=200

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031233720&postcount=66

If I put the vcore under the speedstep (under vcore 1.125 I think it is, the speedstep run only with the multiplier and not with the vcore) the voltage that I selected is 1.00 vcore, the cpu-z show me 0.992 v. in idle always, but in full is exact the same, 0.992 v. with prime95 always too. Maybe the possible vdrop is because this board is desing for low voltage like intel 45nm, it only is a opinion. The under "speedsted" is only one of my test, and Yes, it is not "real" with the presents processors.

thanks for the info pvhk and The Cisco Kid, im getting another 2 1GB sticks so I can take the advantage of 64bit vista :)

Congrats on your new built. I'm also the happy owner of a nsk3400 :)

So which psu is more silent: the 380 or the 430?

Haven't tested the SU-380 yet, just put in the Seasonic S12-II :)

The casefan makes more noise than the Seasonic :)

I can recommend that you try to duct the 8800, so all hot air is blown out of the case. The two lowest pci-slot covers have fine air vents for that. I lowered the case temps some and the card itself didn't heat up noticable. I just taped some cardboard. There is a picture in an earlier post of mine. It's beyond me why nvidia didn't design the cooling so all the hot air is let out of the case considering how hot it is. The 8800 turned out to be a bit overkill for my usage, so I ended up exchanging it for a passively cooled 8600.

About the cables, I have the ones I don't use behind the front cover since I have both a hdd and dvd in the top compartment. I just removed the metal grid in front of the 2. bay, ran the wires next to the hdd and tucked them down. Works great and they are totally out of the way. I considered drilling holes in the back-plate to have all cables running behind the motherboard but I dropped it. Too much work. Could have been cool if Antec had designed it that way. Of course you can also simply store them were the floppy would have been. Anyway, I found airflow to be very good considering it is matx and very quiet.

I've tried several different utilities for the DSR2: Speedfan doesn't support correct readings of fans on this motherboard, core temp is fine, but as you mention yourself, quite basic. The Gigabyte one is just not for me. I can only recommend Everest. You'll be able to monitor everything in regard to your hardware incl. gpu, fans, correct temps. etc. I had them all installed in the beginning when finding the correct oc for my cpu and gpu. It was always Everest I ended up using. The only thing I miss is an ability to adjust the fans' speed, so I use the bios for that. Just set it to regulate with voltage, not auto.

I'll give Everest a try. But I found Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) now which works great and also together with OCCT!

The 8800GTS is fine btw just without channeling the air.

this board has potential! :D have not tried higher yet but this is good enough for me. will up the multiplier after my test

I just assembled my new pc, and when I switch on the bios start normally but then i can't enter in the bios configuration, if I put a cd with an operating system to install it nothing change.
Did anyone had the same problem?
My configuration is:
Cpu core duo e2160
ram 4x1gb corsair xms 5400 cl4
2x 500 gb samsung sata II drive
Vga XFX 7950gt xxx
power supply Enermax Liberty 400w
1dvd-rw
1 pci sound card
1 pci network card

I have to say that when I press Del to enter the the bios setup I get the message "Prepare to enter setup.." but never happened .If I press then del+ctrl+alt it doesn't restart in that condition,but if I switch off from the pc case button then the system shutdown.So the problem is really strange.Can anyone help?

First rule of troubleshooting: Remove *everything* that's not vital for testing. E.g. only use the board and its internal vga, the cpu, and memory (just 1 stick). Disconnect everything else. Then try again. Swap memory sticks if it still doesn't work. Maybe also try a ps/2 keyboard instead of usb.

Can someone help me with the timings on this board...here's what I have the settings at now....some suggestions and a reason would be good.

So i've got the f4a bios for starters. I've got my core cpu speed at 1600Mhz.
The multi is at 6. Bus speed at 266. Rated FSB at 1066. Memory freq: 533.
FSB:DRAM ratio is 1:2. This is on an E6600 and I also have Crucial PC8500.

I realize I could overclock this a bit...and did have the core speed just over 3000 and the multi at 9, but put it back for the time being until I learn how that might affect my system over time. I did notice some more heat just after I tried this...which is normal, right? What can I say..got some learnin to do here :)

this board has potential! :D have not tried higher yet but this is good enough for me. will up the multiplier after my test

Nice! ;)
I'm waiting for the final release to update the bios of my ga-g33m-ds2r!
For the moment not needed 'cause my stick handle 1095mhz (547.5)! ([email protected], fsb@438)
(max fsb@455 ram@1137 biosF2)

First rule of troubleshooting: Remove *everything* that's not vital for testing. E.g. only use the board and its internal vga, the cpu, and memory (just 1 stick). Disconnect everything else. Then try again. Swap memory sticks if it still doesn't work. Maybe also try a ps/2 keyboard instead of usb.
Thanks for teh suggestion, afterm many trials I found that the problem was 1 module of memory.

Good screenshot!!
Cpu-z at the moment don't report FSB/DRAM ratio but Memset 3.3 seems to report it?, or don't? :confused: :confused:

Another question about ...DSR2, how much memory it's possible to share with integrated graphics chip?

An another question :D :D , What integrated graphics chip exactly is, GMA 3100 or GMA X3100??

Hi pvhk, how much do u have to raise on FSB/ MCH @438FSB? i have both +0.2V now but im concerning about the stability/durability

@mutenroid, yes CPU-Z dont report FSB/DRAM ratio when using 1:1 but Memset 3.3 can reprt the memory speed no probs. Not sure about the onboard graphic question as I never used it :)

Okay, so we have red capacitors and purple capacitors versions of the DS2R? We'll have to make note of this and watch to see if it affects anything. It could just be a color difference only but will need to keep an eye on what people are getting and the mobo's performance.

i just setup the following system:

-SilverStone SG03
-Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R - BIOS F4a
-Intel Q6600
-Zalman CNPS8700 LED
-QTY4 x OCZ S.O.E 1GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)OCZ2SOE8001G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227116
-Corsair HX620W

I've never overclocked before but want to try. any suggestions? any good place to start? can some suggest a website with a good tutorial?

I'm not sure if this memory is all that great for overclocking but hopefully i can get a little out of it.

<did not see a response yet.>

Any ideas if the Zalman 8700 LED will fit on this board?

Back