GA-G33M-DS2R

I finally got an answer from Gigabyte (slooooww customer support....) about the 1:1 divider:

Here is my qustion:
"Is there any possibility that you'll soon add a sync./1:1 memory divider?
I know there are many waiting to buy the first G33 board that comes with this feature (like the P35 models). I myself took that chance and bought it, hoping you'll add it in the next bios release. If you have such a release planned, could you tell when it will be avaible?"

And their answer:
"From what I have heard there is a chipset "limitation" (Intel probably wants the more advanced users to buy P35 instead) on the G33 that it does not support 1:1 memory divider. In that case it will not be availble with a future BIOS update."

EDIT: I downloaded the manual for the ATX G33 board and there the mem dividers are not specified, so that didn't make me any wiser...

Well the ASUS P5K-VM (also mATX g33) DOES support these dividers (and more) so its DEFINATELY not a chipset issue... check these dividers with an e4300 @ 333 bus:

G71108copier.jpg

I would be throwing this right back in Gigabyte's face... do they an offical forums area that I am missing? If not I think I will email them AGAIN...

Has anyone tried the F3 BIOS release on the 12th? I just saw it came out and can't try it cause I'm at work.

Someone else had posted a reply from Gigabyte saying there were no plans to offer 1:1. My guess thats Gigabyte's official (in a nonofficial way) answer despite what the consumer may want. So if you need/want a 1:1 divider go with something other than the DS2R. Like the P5K-VM.

Considering a 1:1 divider is possible, as ASUS has shown, Gigabyte for whatever reason decided its not going to provide it on the DS2R. And since the mobo's release they havent given it nor pledged to give it I'd say it isnt going to happen on the DS2R. Therefore we need to look elsewhere in this respect. The DS2R is still a good mATX mobo though. Especially when you compare it to the F-I90 HD.

Note: I think the lack of decent overclocking Intel mATX mobos is becoming a thing of the past now. If things keep progressing as they have been lately mATX users will have better choices from here on out. Wether we get a mATX mobo that has every feature the ATX versions do though still remains to be seen. It is looking better although there is still room for improvements. :)

Well if somebody here has the guts - you could try to unlock stuff with modbin6.
It actually edits the BIOS settings - but the fact you put in a setting doesnt mean it works. I for one froze my previous mobo this way - it is a easy bios fix for your local PC repairs, so you shouldn't really kill anything.
So I opened the last bios and I actually saw that there is a 2 memory multiplier along with the 2,66;3,33 and 4. So if somebody here has an extra bios chips and or knows what I'm talking about, he or she could easily try and add this feature:) . Please:)

You will find that any mods you do with Modbin6 will not save correctly as modbin does not support the size of this bios.

I would be throwing this right back in Gigabyte's face... do they an offical forums area that I am missing? If not I think I will email them AGAIN...

Well...the info I posted came from the german gigabyte forum (http://forum.gigabyte.de) I'm not german myself, but this forum seems to be quite active and actual employees of gigabyte germany moderate the forum, so its the most direct way in, i've found so far...

Check this thread. I've mentioned it before here....

Can someone explain to me what the big QQ is about a 1:1 divider?

(I seem to recall back in the day with earlier p3/p4 you got slightly better performance with 1:1...but does it really matter now much anymore?)

Does anyone have examples or links to examples of real world performance differences between 1:1 and non dividers?

Or is it for something other than performance?

thx :D

The lack of ratio 1:1 on the giga is in a way a limit in performance wise in that sense that high memory clock is the counterpart of raising the fsb!
for example:
with a e4300:
on giga:raising the fsb@355 will set mem@1182Mhz (ratio 3.33x)
on P5K-VM: at this fsb, mem can be set either @710 (sync) or more... So that's more relaxing for memory!

Can someone explain to me what the big QQ is about a 1:1 divider?

(I seem to recall back in the day with earlier p3/p4 you got slightly better performance with 1:1...but does it really matter now much anymore?)

Does anyone have examples or links to examples of real world performance differences between 1:1 and non dividers?

Or is it for something other than performance?

thx :D
Read the first few pages of the thread. The issue is 100% performance. pvhk explains it. Higher mem = lower CPU speed.

So should I be using the 2.5 multiplier instead of 3.0??

Right now my FSB is at 312 x 9 and RAM is @ 936. If I use the 2.5 multi the RAM drops below 800...is this bad?

I'm also having trouble getting the RAM to run at it's rated 4-4-4-12 timings. CPU-Z shows it @ 5-5-5-? I can't seem to find where to change this, if we can?

Don't get me wrong, the system is running rock stable and very very quick, I'm just relatively new to OC'ing.

Thanks! :D

press ctrl+F1 in the bios and u can change the mem timmings :)

at 312 x 9, I thought the Ram @ 936 (3x) will outperform 780(2.5x) ? anyone could explain? :confused: thanks

So should I be using the 2.5 multiplier instead of 3.0??

Right now my FSB is at 312 x 9 and RAM is @ 936. If I use the 2.5 multi the RAM drops below 800...is this bad?

I'm also having trouble getting the RAM to run at it's rated 4-4-4-12 timings. CPU-Z shows it @ 5-5-5-? I can't seem to find where to change this, if we can?

Don't get me wrong, the system is running rock stable and very very quick, I'm just relatively new to OC'ing.

Thanks! :D

No you'd better use ratio 3x if your rams can handle it! better performance
The "issue" with the giga is that high fsb means very high mem frequency (so you will be quickly limited by your rams and not the cpu)
Another example:
e6600 fsb@450, ratio 8x used (3.6ghz):
with the giga:the ram will be @1125 or 1350Mhz (not all rams will hit those values)
with the P5K-VM: the ratio 1:1 allows the ram to be sync @900mhz (more easy to reach)

press ctrl+F1 in the bios and u can change the mem timmings :)

at 312 x 9, I thought the Ram @ 936 (3x) will outperform 780(2.5x) ? anyone could explain? :confused: thanks

Ah thanks! I must have missed that in the manual.

The "issue" with the giga is that high fsb means very high mem frequency (so you will be quickly limited by your rams and not the cpu)

Ok this makes sense.

Tomorrow I'll be testing the rig @ 3.0ghz and RAM @ 1006. I hope this will be a nice stable setting I can leave the system at for some time.

Its probably not a good anology but I kinda liken it to a car's motor. Better and more efficient performance is achieved with a 1:1 divider. The car will run without it but not as good/efficient as it could. Kinda like a motor being out of tune. :D

Hi ,

I bought this motherboard,and I assembled the pc toady.The problem is that when switch on the pc, the fans start but not video signal reach the monitor.
There are also strange things that happened:
The fan of the power supply (a cheap brand Advance 460w) that was supposed to be silent,was enough loud when I switched on the pc the first time,when the second time the fan was much more silent,The fan of the the cpu cooler doesn't work.So I attached a case fan to see if the problem was the cooler fan or the motherboard.
The case fan didn't work too by itself,but if I move it manually then it start to work.
After the first time a switched on (without to listen a beep ) I removed the dedicated graphic card (a geforce 7950gt ) and I used the integrated one just to be sure the problem was not the vga.
So now I'm trying to detect the problem possibly with your help and experience:
1)Ram compatibility:I'm using 4 teamgroup ddr2 667 value module of ram,I tried keepin only one too.
2)Power supply?Maybe this new chipset has particulary power requirements.or maybe the fact that the fans behave in a strange way is a sign the power supply is faulty.
3)Motherboard?Is strange that only the cpu cooler has problems.
4)Cpu?

What it could be and what it could not?
Now if I turn on the motherboard make only one beep.

Ok, I have a minor problem at the moment. I've tried to change my RAM timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12. The RAM is rated at 4-4-4-12. The system seems to be unstable when I do this and on reboot the Memory speed keeps coming up at 800mhz even with the 3:3 divider and the CPU OC'd @ 2.8ghz. Does this mean the RAM can't be OC'd @ 936 with it's normal timings or am I forgetting to do something else? I raised the over voltage to +.02, but can't seem to find where in the BIOS that says my RAM voltage. For some reason I think the default voltage is 1.8, but can;t seem to find that again My G.Skill runs @ 2.0-2.1v.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, I have a minor problem at the moment. I've tried to change my RAM timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12. The RAM is rated at 4-4-4-12. The system seems to be unstable when I do this and on reboot the Memory speed keeps coming up at 800mhz even with the 3:3 divider and the CPU OC'd @ 2.8ghz. Does this mean the RAM can't be OC'd @ 936 with it's normal timings or am I forgetting to do something else? I raised the over voltage to +.02, but can't seem to find where in the BIOS that says my RAM voltage. For some reason I think the default voltage is 1.8, but can;t seem to find that again My G.Skill runs @ 2.0-2.1v.

Thanks for the help!

Woohoo! nevermind, I figured how to get her stable. Have Orthos running now!!

Another example:
e6600 fsb@450, ratio 8x used (3.6ghz):
with the giga:the ram will be @1125 or 1350Mhz (not all rams will hit those values)
with the P5K-VM: the ratio 1:1 allows the ram to be sync @900mhz (more easy to reach)

I'm not an expert on overclocking or anything, but why would you use 8 x 450 instead of 9 x 400 on an E6600?

Has anyone tried the F3 BIOS release on the 12th? I just saw it came out and can't try it cause I'm at work.
No dice. :( Dividers are still set to "non-selectable" in bios. All it would take is for Gigabyte to flip a switch.

I'm not an expert on overclocking or anything, but why would you use 8 x 450 instead of 9 x 400 on an E6600?
So we can see how high the board runs or to run the memory at a faster speed. I could run at 389, but then I would be missing out on the bandwidth of this RAM I paid for.

No dice. :( Dividers are still set to "non-selectable" in bios. All it would take is for Gigabyte to flip a switch.

So we can see how high the board runs or to run the memory at a faster speed. I could run at 389, but then I would be missing out on the bandwidth of this RAM I paid for.

Ah I see....personally I think I would skip out on the extra RAM speed so there's less stress on the north bridge and so the system runs a little cooler (doubt it'd be much cooler, but I also doubt the performance difference between 1000 mhz and 1125 mhz on RAM is very much either)

As for the divider issue, I think we should all send emails to Gigabyte to put a little pressure on them!

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

I sent an email to them on Tuesday (6/26) and they replied today (6/28).

me said:
Hi, I don't yet actually own a GA-G33M-DS2R yet. My decision to purchase one will be based on the answer to the following question.

From what I've read, the GA-G33M-DS2R does not have a 1:1 divider available, so you need DDR2-1066 RAM to overclock better. I thought this was a limitation of the G33 chipset, but I've also seen evidence that the Asus P5K-VM (using the same G33 chipset) has a 1:1 divider, meaning you only need DDR2-800 to achieve the same overclock you'd need DDR-1066 for on the GA-G33M-DS2R.

So the actual question is, does Gigabyte plan to release a bios update for the GA-G33M-DS2R that will enable a 1:1 divider? I'd love to purchase a GA-G33M-DS2R, but would like to be able to stick to DDR2-800 instead of DDR2-1066

And they replied:

Gigabyte Tech Support said:
unfortunately this motherboard does not have the option for the divider.
We can request for the feature from our bios team, but it is not guarante whether if it'll be added

Hopefully if enough people ask for it, Gigabyte's "bios team" will wise up and put the 1:1 divider on the GA-G33M-DS2R

Hopefully if enough people ask for it, Gigabyte's "bios team" will wise up and put the 1:1 divider on the GA-G33M-DS2R
I sent them a long rant and explanation of why they were going to lose sales to the P5K-VM.

I have bitched to them before to disable nazi overclocking restrictions and was brushed off every time, however this time they are actually going to lose most of their potential buyers. A budget board that budget users can't use because they have to buy new and expensive RAM? Sort of kills your target market...

Problem is, if they do enable it, it would not surprise me to see them nerf the OC options.

Anyway, I did my part. I suggest anyone else who is interested in the board pester their CS! Squeaky wheel gets the lube job!

I hate it when a company makes a great product but always misses one or two crucial features that the competition was able to put in without many, if any compromises. I personally believe this board would be the best mATX motherboard in all aspects if it weren't for this divider issue.

Just to go along with the whining...

After hearing about the divider issue, and reading more so I understood what it means, I realized that I've been hitting the memory's wall, not my processors. Before, I was able to run ORTHOS for like 4 min before it would error out with the FSB@375. I kind of assumed it was an overheating issue, even though I was only at core temps of about 60-62C. I upped to voltage +0.2v on the memory and what do you know, now the memory can run with the FSB speed and 375 is ORTHOS stable for as long as I tested (30min)!

Moral of the story, yes the divider is what holds this board back. HOWEVER, being able to run an e6400 @ FSB375 = 3.0GHz is a damn fine overclock (roughly +40%). But with this RAM and a 1:1 divider, I'm sure I could hit FSB400 maybe even 425.

PS: Should I try +0.3v or +0.4v on my memory, or do I really risk burning it out? I've never OCed memory before, and the danger colors on the .3 and .4 are worrying me :D Thoughts?

I dont understand cause i am running at fsb 400 with ballistix ddr2 1000 just fine. I even went up to 450 fsb and was rock stable at all stock volts an timings with my 8000 ram

keep emailing their tech people and DEMAND a 1:1 ratio divider - they have updated the BIOS once since launch so clearly they know its not perfect. I've sent mine today.

Send more, send them from any old email address but if U want it then you have to get off your arses and tell them!!

keep emailing their tech people and DEMAND a 1:1 ratio divider - they have updated the BIOS once since launch so clearly they know its not perfect. I've sent mine today.

Send more, send them from any old email address but if U want it then you have to get off your arses and tell them!!
Yup.

PS: Should I try +0.3v or +0.4v on my memory, or do I really risk burning it out? I've never OCed memory before, and the danger colors on the .3 and .4 are worrying me :D Thoughts?
Depends on how you feel about warranties. Normally voltage is not an issue, especially on mATX board because you don't get enough to play with. However I have heard that some people are having their D9 die at 2.2v, so if your RAM is not rated for that... well it's your call. Put a fan on it and it should be okay. I would probably buy something better, because volts don't tend to help you get much further.

Sure 3GHz is a nice round number, but where is the spirit in overclocking? intel built tons of headroom into what they rated their processors at, so they can milk buyers of every penny by slowly raising their PR ratings. They could have totally decimated AMD by coming out with 3.5GHz quad cores right off the bat, but their greed locked them into using the same scheme they have been using in the past. Splendid for overclockers, bad for general consumers.

Overclock as much as possible to get every ounce of speed out of it. So what if it only saves you 1/10th of a second in everything you do - that's still time saved. Why waste it by running slower if it is not going to cost you anything? Even if you have to sell your existing RAM, prices are so low it is not going to cost hardly anything to upgrade. If I had bought the normal Ballistix, it literally would have cost me nothing to upgrade (after MIR ;) )!

Now if you were planning to get an 800fsb chip, this does kind of suck so I would probably hold out for the P5K-VM and pester Gigabyte in my spare time. ;)

Hello
I've been reading your forum for almost one year.
I want to build SFF rig and thinking of buying this gigabyte mobo + e2140 and Ninja cooler. I need your help here. Will Ninja be OK? Does it fit on Gigabyte?
Thanks

hi all and this is my first post, what a first post :)
baught my shiny upgrade yesterday and thaught i hade researched everything i could and look what i do hehe.
well with my e2140 and ddr2 800mhz i get the glorius option of a memdevider of 3.33 or 4 needles to say at a cpu speed of 2.04ghz on a fsb of 260 my ram is at 950mhz and unstable as hell lol.
so looks like im waiting with the rest of you for a bios update if it ever comes i emailed gigabyte today got one reply and when i told the technician what i was looking for wasnt in the advanced menu of the bios i havnt heard amything since :)

Hello
I've been reading your forum for almost one year.
I want to build SFF rig and thinking of buying this gigabyte mobo + e2140 and Ninja cooler. I need your help here. Will Ninja be OK? Does it fit on Gigabyte?
Thanks

buy the asus for the great mem dividers. Yeah Ninja fits but ninja sucks due to the intel mounting-methode:mad:

I also sent a request for the divider. Hopefully it will be implemented, but I'm not holding by breath... I want this board because its cheaper than the Asus heh.

I had an esata drive hooked up to this board but i had problems with it. I was running vista and ahci or whatnot and I had difficulty getting it to pick up sometimes. When it did pickup, the hot swaping didnt work. if I put the machin into sleep, when it woke the esata enclosure would not pick up. i wound up sellin the enclosure and putting the drive internally.

I miss havin it though, its very efficient to transfer files as fast as esata allows especially for moving them from place to place.

Does a nyone have a similar experience or know how to solve the prob?

ps, if i plus a sata drive directly to the esata port it works fine from resume etc, but no enclosure works like that :(

Back