GA-G33M-DS2R

Amazing..

Mine just died in a horrible accident (I think it died..), but this had to be the best motherboard I've owned. It's an amazing trooper, and took everything I threw at it, except for me packing it up to send off to someone who bought it. I'll always buy Gigabyte now after a horrible MSI experience. They just do everything right.

does that mean there would be better ahci performance...?

too lazy to flash -__- i have like f6 still haha

Yes, better performance teorically. I have f8 now.
as soon as I'll re-enter at home I'l flash f9a. :)

Flashed to F9a and ran Memtest to check stability and to see if I could still run 4-4-4-12 at 1.9V of 8GB. Everything worked great, no memtest errors through 3 passes, and I was able to boot into Win7. The detection of AHCI seems faster than before, so less time to boot to Win7.

I've run into a very bizarre problem recently. I've put my E8400 back on the mobo, flashed with F8 and was using it undervolted on FSB1600. Never a problem. Until I decided to remove my old (!!!) 8800GT and replace it with a 4770 (from XFX, YDFC model). And it became impossible to change the BUS frequency manually. First I tried to leave the settings unchanged (from the previous working config), and the system wouldn't even post. Then I tried manual setting of Bus but left it at 333, and the system would reset itself (would boot) and the Bus setting would be back on Auto. Beats me. Put the 8800GT back in and everything works perfectly.

Anyone seen something similar?

Last edited:
Any body has this motherboard has a q9550 and overclocking it?.
I had a E5200 runing at 3.8ghz at stock vcore stable ran prime over 24hrs and intel burn test passed 20 rounds with no problems.

I upgraded to a q9550 and i cant get past 3.4. It ok on prime for 12hrs and 20 rounds of ibt but doesnt pass a program call cpustabtest 6.0 it fails with 10mins.

Can anybody help me out?

Have you confirmed that the processor can do 3.4 on another board? If so, how much higher?

(Glad it's working for you, sorry to say I never overclocked it. :))

hahaa totally just updated my bios and it scared me b/c

it turned off and turned on 5 times in a row and then it worked..

weird

i've had the rear USB go bad on my board, i get a hard lock periodically when i have USB mice/keyboards plugged into them.

so....... final upgrade for this board... lets hope it still lasts... 4 years going strong so far :)

started with a Q6600 and I hit a wall around 3.4 before MASSIVE voltage was required

now I got a Q9550... and its doing AMAZING

added a h50 to it... and temp are great! too lazy to show IBT stuff because I didn't do any screen shots but its stable!

awesome board :D

Sorry to bump an older thread but does anyone know what the F9B BIOS is, or use it themselves? Is it a beta BIOS or something?

Story:
I RMA'd my warranty-just-about-to-expire G33M-DS2R. The problem with the board was an odd one. Essentially one day the machine was on and frozen (when I expected it to be either in sleep or hibernation). Thereafter there were some odd problems, one of which was the F7 BIOS that was installed on it at the time (and running perfectly up until then) caused the machine to freeze all the time. Before RMAing it back then, I changed up the BIOS back to F6 and it seemed to work well again. The classic F4a also worked but F5, F7 and above, was just lock-up city. I remember trying F9 when it came out because of the new AHCI BIOS and yeah it boots up with no delay at all with the new AHCI which is nice, but freezing before even booting Windows was not so nice LOL. So back to F6 I went.

I just ran it like that on F6 for a good while but when the warranty was about up I decided I should RMA it because if I should ever want to upgrade the CPU (e.g. to a Wolfdale) I'd be screwed because you need the newer BIOS for that.

So I RMA'd the board recently and today I got it back. It was much to my disappointment they sent me my exact same board back looking like they did nothing except bend one of the fins on the northbridge heatsink, lol. I didn't think they actually repaired boards (I thought they just gave you new ones?), so I figured they thought there was no problem and sent my board back to me. There was no listing of repair or anything, just the exact same board back in the same original box I sent it in (though they did use a different shipping box at least). Oh that and a generic note in the box saying to test out the motherboard if it had been sent for repair (WTF? Like what else was I going to do upon getting it back? LOL.)

Anyway trying to conclude this story here, the board is somehow working perfectly fine right now [*knocks on wood*] so they must have done something to it I figure? I can't see any evidence of soldering or any components replaced but hey I'm certainly happy it's working :)

I noticed the BIOS on the board, displayed at bootup though, is F9B which isn't listed on the website here:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2534&dl=1#bios

Anyone know what the difference from F9A to F9B is?

F8 has been very good to me I must say. Funny that when you had problems you reverted to F6 and not upgraded to F8...
Maybe there was a problem with the northbridge heating up (bad contact with the heatsink or something).

As for your question, from what I uderstand they only update the microcode for CPU support, that's pretty much it.

F8 has been very good to me I must say. Funny that when you had problems you reverted to F6 and not upgraded to F8...
Oh I had tried F8 as well (actually it might even have been F8 when the problem started, not F7). The problem didn't come from a change in BIOS. Whatever I had on there (whether it ws F7 or F8) at the time did work fine for some time, up until that incident where I just found it powered itself on and was frozen with the video output black. After that it didn't work right until I used either F4a or F6.

Thanks for the info though, I was just curious since I didn't see an F9B listed anywhere.

Thanks for the info though, I was just curious since I didn't see an F9B listed anywhere.

Better late to ask than never I guess, but can you or anyone upload F9B and further BIOS to somewhere like mediafire? It'd be very much appreciated. I hope more people come back to peek at this thread.

Better late to ask than never I guess, but can you or anyone upload F9B and further BIOS to somewhere like mediafire? It'd be very much appreciated. I hope more people come back to peek at this thread.
Sorry, even later reply...

I came back to this thread as I was searching for info on a SMART error with SSDs...

If you still need this, I guess I could pull it off the board and post it somewhere.

But there is a newer beta BIOS now, F9C, which you can get from this gigabyte.de site. The BIOS fixes a problem where you get the "Smart Command Failed" error on boot when AHCI initialises when using a Sandforce-based SSD (like OCZ Vertex 2 series).

Can be found here:
http://oldforum.gigabyte.de/forumdownload/betabios/betabios2010.htm
Specifically this is the link to the BIOS filefor the GA-G33M-DS2R:
http://oldforum.gigabyte.de/forumdownload/betabios/20100811/G33MDS2R.zip

Sorry, even later reply...
Haha thanks for the reply, at least you came across my post. The thread is fairly dead, so here I am replying months later too :p I only saw this because I wanted to update the firmware of another mobo, so I randomly decided to check this. Nice site find btw, I didn't even know about it, and I don't think it has even been posted on this thread.

Right now I don't know what to think of Gigabyte, this mobo has survived its fair amount of crazy things, but also has its downfalls. It survived two (P4) CPU 4pin connectors dying, the (P1) 20pin also, along with crazy temp for the northbridge due to silly voltages. You could have probably cooked on it when I was messing around. The PSU was a crappy Rosewill though, so I guess that was my own fault. Then again, it seems the wires heat up quite a bit when you do an OC.

I also ended up with a damned IDE/PATA drive which may cause me problems due to the JMicron on the mobo. I bought an Eaglelake mobo later though and it couldn't handle the same OC. I was expecting more stability due to die shrink but I was told the mobo's CPU power handling was badly designed so that section of the mobo burnt out. I RMA'd but didn't bother using the replacement and bought an Asus.

The amount of OC BIOS options on the Asus fairly impressed me, enough to possibly say goodbye to Gigabyte. I sort of want to try a mobo from a western company though, but it seems they're uncommonly used and well reviewed. I have MSI video cards atm and I'm thinking of doing something similar, since western companies seem to do fine for video. MSI has done interesting OC work for video though, since they only have the updated rehash of RivaTuner(Afterburner), along with their own FurMark(Kombustor).

The thread is alive!
I still think it is one of the best mATX boards ever made. OK nowadays every manufacturer and their grandma make a couple mATX boards but back in those days (yeah, 2007-2008 those were the days :)) it was hard to find decent boards in the format.
The only thing missing for me on this board is a DVI output and (maybe) the inability to change FSB/RAM strap (even then it's not a deal breaker)...

It runs Ubuntu flawless, it's got RAID, it OCs quite well...

I know this is an older thread but Ive been looking since last night for a reason why with this board + 8g ram my cpu usage is a constant 100%. Its fine with two 2gig sticks (4g) and its fine with two 2gig + two 1gig sticks (6gig) but as soon as i put in four 2gig sticks it goes to 100% cpu usage and the pc is unusable. this is with win7 64bit

*i also tried different combos on the two 2gig sticks to see if one or more were bad and they all work fine with just 2 in at a time*

Ive tried to update my bios from the site but it tells me that i have the wrong OS for it - there isnt a option to get 32 or 64 bit bios on the site that I can see (maybe im doing something wrong but i want my 8gigs) I searched around in this thread but didnt see a fix but I could of missed it.

sorry again and thanks.

my setup:

1*x*Thermaltake VF1000SWA Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
1*x*GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
1*x*EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1*x*CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
1*x*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E6600
2*x*G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
1*x*SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1*x*LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 LightScribe Support - OEM
1*x*Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8

*this is the ram I had removed and replaced with the g skill*
1 x Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK

Back