GA-EP35-DS3L and Notfred CD Weirdness...

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Slight problem trying to get System# 3 in my sig running naked, headless and diskless with NotFreds CD.

First a little background. I recently upgraded my main Rig (Sys#1) to a Quad and the little E4300 was feeling lonely and dejected... So I picked up a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L to comfort the little guy. Got it up and running with a nice stable OC to 3Ghz and ran an SMP client on it for 3 or 4 days in Windows with no problems. The system was pulling 142w folding with an Nvidia 7900GS and old 40gig drive on it, so it was time to shed some KWH.... Off with his clothes...:D

I setup the BIOS to not stop on errors, and yanked the HD and video card (after setting up the BIOS of course), kb and mouse.

Plopped in the NotFred's CD and hit the switch (er.. jumper) and it looked like it was stuck in a "Boot Loop" but I couldn't tell for sure. It spun up the CD, and accessed it for a second like it does on the Abit NF7 system running the same way, and after what looked like the timeout period, started hitting the CD again like it was starting to boot, and shortly after the network connection lit up. After a couple seconds the CD stopped accessing and spun down, and the system started the sequence all over again.

My first thought was that NotFred's didn't like the network connection. So I powered it down and tried another powerup with the same exact sequence happening.... Tried this 6 times using 3 different CD drives with the same results.

So I powered back down, put the video card back in to see what was happening, and put the kb back on to get into the BIOS to see if everything was setup ok. (No mouse) I booted into the BIOS, and eveything was as I set it so no problems there.

I rebooted out of the BIOS (still using the CD boot and same network connection except I had the kb, video card and a monitor to watch what the hang was) and SURPRISE, it booted right up, downloaded a WU and is happily chewing on a p2605 as I type this...

WTF :confused::confused: (that's what the feck, not way to fold...:D)

Does anyone have a GA-P35-DS3L running headless and diskless successfully? OR.. seen a similar thing happen and have a clue as to why it wouldn't boot?

I'm planning to let the WU finish and upload so I don't sacrifice it, and catch it on the next WU and do a remote reboot and kill power. I'll pull the kb and see if it still boots but DANG I wanna run headless and get the current 136 watts down under 100 if possible. Plus it'll be easier to cool the NB without a video card in the way....

If no one has a clue, I'll update my findings when I find them. ;)

0.png

Leave the keyboard connected until it's past post....once it's happily crunching away, unplug it and you should be fine...

I had the same problem and it turned out that it wouldn't get past post without a keyboard connected... don't know if that will fix it for you, but it's worth a shot....

Probably that. Or make sure you switch it to "halt on: no errors" though some board still have "(except keyboard)"

Thanks for the replies... sounds like the keyboard may be the culprit. I'll give that a go after this WU uploads. I do have the BIOS set to "Halt on errors = none" but it sounds plausible.

If I can just get rid of the video I'll be a happy camper!

0.png

Just a quick update. It was the keyboard that caused the problem. I would have never guessed.... video card or network connection but not the kb. :rolleyes:

Anyhew the lonely little E4300 is lonely no more... happily crunching along at a nicely reduced 92 watts full tilt :D.

Saved me the cost of a 44w light bulb....:) Thanks again guys!

0.png

Glad to help.....I had the same problem and was really surprised that was it as well.......:)

Just glad you didn't have to get out the hammer and chainsaw ;)

Back