GA-965P-DS3 help...

monkstah

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of picking up this mobo for a C2D rig I'm working on. I am not going to be overclocking at all. Using it for mid range gaming and HTPC functions.

However, I am very concerned with the memory issue it has. I heard v1.8 is all that works on it.

What I want to know is... if i buy Corsair or OCZ ram would it work on this mobo right now?

I'm thinking of picking up this mobo for a C2D rig I'm working on. I am not going to be overclocking at all. Using it for mid range gaming and HTPC functions.

However, I am very concerned with the memory issue it has. I heard v1.8 is all that works on it.

What I want to know is... if i buy Corsair or OCZ ram would it work on this mobo right now?

I am using Gskill PC6400 that runs at 1.9-2.0. It works great.

Gotcha.. so Gskill would work at 1.9 off boot? I just don't want to have to deal with all the memory issues i read.. if i get this board, because it seems like other than that, it works fine.... also what Bios are you using on it?

also do you remember the model number of the g.skill you bought?

Gotcha.. so Gskill would work at 1.9 off boot? I just don't want to have to deal with all the memory issues i read.. if i get this board, because it seems like other than that, it works fine.... also what Bios are you using on it?

Yeah it booted right up. I am running F5(one that came with it).

nice and what model of g.skill was it? they have several pc6400's.. that go from 1.8-2.0 volt or 2.0-2.2 volt etc

im running my corsair xms2 which is rated at 2.20v and it works fine!

I was scared too...

My OCZ (see sig) worked with no extra voltage needed. I did adjust the voltage up once I got into the bios however as I knew I was going to overclock.

I just want to make sure I get the right ram. Anyone running DDR 667 or DDR 800 is what I need....

So G.Skill and Corsair XMS2 work fine at those levels off the bat... very good.

ddr2 800 is what you want if you're going to be overclocking.

Don't waste your money on the super expensive shit that requires high voltage (its just preoverclocked shit). Cas 4 or 5 sticks that run at or near default voltage of 1.8v are in fact better in most cases (b/c of compatibility issues)

The sticks that need 2.1-2.3v often won't boot up in a motherboard, unless you put cheap ram in first then raise the voltage.

ddr2 800 is what you want if you're going to be overclocking.

Don't waste your money on the super expensive shit that requires high voltage (its just preoverclocked shit). Cas 4 or 5 sticks that run at or near default voltage of 1.8v are in fact better in most cases (b/c of compatibility issues)

The sticks that need 2.1-2.3v often won't boot up in a motherboard, unless you put cheap ram in first then raise the voltage.

Incorrect, quality sticks that are rated at higher voltage will work at lower voltage as long as the bios is set to default, memory spds are auto. The rated specs just mean the ram can handle this speed with that timings stable at this voltage.

My XMS2 pc8500 is rated 1066mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings @ 2.20v. But it booted fine with the gigabyte at the default clock rate for the E6400 processor. And then you overclock the hell out of her :D Currently running my ram at 400fsb(800mhz) with 4-4-4-14 timings and 2.1v (I can probably goo lower but I don't need too)

any corsair should work. As long as it'll boot with JDEC standards (800mhz - 1.8v) you'll be fine. As the above poster stated, I've got the same ram, and it's fine.

Back